Thread: Which 22?

Basic Member

Which 22?

Seems I have 3 22 cal blanks. All CM and all heavy. I'm gonna build a 220 Swift on the 9" twist and sell the other 2. One is a 12" twist and I'm not sure about the last, I think a 10" twist.
    Which cals sell better in short barrels? Both barrels will finish in the 21" range. I have 223, 22-250 and 22-250 AI reamers, as well as the Swift, and a 224 Valkyrie. I think the Swift and a 21" barrel will be a bad match. The Valkyrie will be a bolthead size problem. Will the 22-250 AI work in a short barrel or will there be too much velocity loss to make it worth while.
    Do the 10/110 and the Axis headspace up the same?? I don't have an Axis, so I will set the headspace up for a 10 or Stevens 200 that I have, but want to make sure it will be safe for an Axis buyer as well.

Those would be good for a striker. The Axis & 10 headspace the same.

I have a 22" 22-250 and it shoots better than I can.

Basic Member
    It is the twist rate that is the issue for .223. 1-10 limits bullet choice which may affect who will buy it. Don't know about the others.

OTOH, varmint shooters tend to like shooting smaller bullets so it may work out ok. I punch paper at longer ranges so even the 1-9 twist in my stock rifle is at the limit for me. I'd rather have a 1-7.

Basic Member
    The 1 in 12 twist rate is definitely going to appeal to varminters and short range target shooters. The Valkyrie was designed from the start as a fast twist, heavy for caliber cartridge, so the slower twist rates will make it a hard sell. The .220 Swift with the 1 in 9 should work with bullets approaching 80 grains, because of the high velocity it offers. I Think the best bet is 12 twist .223 specifically for varmint bullets 60 grains or less, then either the .22-250/also AI version on the 10 twist for bullets up to 69 grains. The short 21 inch barrels are going to rob velocity from all the cartridges, but less so in .223.