Thread: B 22 Compact 22 Mag

B 22 Compact 22 Mag

I picked up a new B 22 compact in 22 WMR yestaerday and just wanted to post my inital impressions. Overall the rifle fits me well and being a compact it has a shorter LOP and an 18" barrel, it all works for me. The new stock design is very nice and looks good, I like it. The rifle came with factory open sights and scope mounts mounted. I mounted a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 scope on a pair of redfield med rings, perfect fit. I did remove the rear factory sight due to scope fittment issues. I lightened the trigger as low as it goes and I'm guessing it's about 2 3/4 lbs but I'm going to shoot it first a bit and see if it lightens up some before I do any spring tweaking. I do want it lighter though at around 2 lbs. The fit and finish of the receiver barrel and stock are all great, everything is straight and smooth. The action is pretty stiff but the bolt slides very smoothly, I'm going to clean it and lube it well and head to the range tomorrow for about an hour and see how it does at 25, 50, and 100 yards. I have Hornady 30 gr, CCI 40 gr, and Armscor 40 gr ammo to try. I'm not really going for accuracy, just to get it functioning and smooth everything out and a little break in. Also the new 10 round rotary mag seems very nice, it pops in and out perfectly although I haven't tried to load it yet. Later today I will and let it sit overnight.

Congrats on the new Savage and let us know how it performs for you.

I've had it to the range twice and I am impressed. Hornady Vmax 30 gr shoots the best out of this rifle, Armscor and CCI did well also. I zeroed it at 50 yards and was getting 1/2" group, zeroed at 100 yards and had a 1" group. I'm very happy with this rifles accuracy out of the box and they way it functions, The bolt lift to cock it is a bit stiff but it is smoothing out nicely. My regular activity at the range is golfballs at 100 yards and clay pigeons at 160 yards and both of these were easily picked off with this B22, I have to say it is the most consistent accuracy wise of all my 22 mag rifles. The trigger needs to go lighter by at least a pound, so today it's getting a spring job done to it. I like the ergonomics of the new stock, no complaints there at all. This rifle suprised me to be a shooter right out of the box, and it can only get better from there.

Congrats on the new rifle! I as well got a new B-series rifle and I agree that they are great shooters right out of the box. I am most impressed with how much better the trigger feels versus the older Mark II and 93R series. Happy shooting!

I pulled the trigger apart and clipped 2.5 coils from the spring. I then stretched it back to it's original length and reassembled everything back together. I now have a beautiful 2lb trigger and it has been safety checked.

Thanks for reporting back. Sounds like you have a keeper there.