Thread: Questions on a Boyd's Stock upgrade

Questions on a Boyd's Stock upgrade

Hey, new to Savage and building my first rifle. I've got a 116/16 Trophy Hunter in 308 and plan on buying a Boyd's Stock Thumbhole Featherweight stock. But I've got a few questions.

1. Is 308 always a 16 and not a 116? All the info on the box and manual say 116/16 and never specifies, but I need to know for the stock requirements.
    2. Am I correct that the 16 is the short action and not the long action?
    3. Does anyone know the Savage part numbers for a metal magazine box and metal trigger guard?
    4. I plan to do pillar bedding through a local gun smith. Anything I'd need to get first before he can fit the barrel outside a new magazine and trigger guard?

As I said, it's my first time swapping out a stock. Anything in particular I need to be aware of or typical trouble shooting issues with this kind of Savage?

Thanks for the help!

Yes. Model 16 is the short action - and factory .308 WIN would be with that action.

Last year I did my Model 11 in a Boyd's Thumbhole and I had to add a new lower magazine frame (E. Arthur Brown) for the Boyd's stock. I got a steel trigger guard from Gun Shack (an advertiser here). http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts

I did aluminum pillars and bedded the action and it went well. Definitely worth the effort IMHO.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Thanks! Was E. Arthur Brown able to get you a magazine and frame that were metal as well?

Is this the fame piece you got?

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Molded-...l_p_14780.html

And Trigger Guard?

http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts...-trigger-guard

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by hazzben View Post
    Thanks! Was E. Arthur Brown able to get you a magazine and frame that were metal as well?
    No. Though I didn't check. The bottom "metal" I used is plastic. But then it matches the magazine base plate. I did fully bed it in Accraglas. I stuck with the "issue" 4 round magazine (Axis style) that came with my Model 11. I load from the top and leave the magazine in place.

The trigger bow sticks out further and is more prone to mishandling so I sent for the steel version.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I don't think it's an option, mine has the tab on the magazine. Looks like it doesn't work with that model of Savage 16

Basic Member
    Savage Metal: Trigger guard 107217 $26. Frame 106706 $78 Bottom of mag 106104 $24
    Savage plastic: Frame 109399 $14

These are for the long action

From Savage