Thread: 338 Thumper build?

Basic Member

338 Thumper build?

http://www.ammo-one.com/wc338-223StraightShort.html

Thinking about something like this on a short action Savage.

Have heard that the 300 Blackout crowd has run into feeding/extraction issues, thoughts?

Basic Member
    Any other idaes/thoughts?

No feeding issues with my S&W M&P15 .300BLK.

The .338-.223 does look like a nice thumper for short range work (1500fps and 1000fpe at 220 yards), as well as for subsonic work.

For longer range work I'd go with a .338 RCM or Fed, depending on how much "thump" I desired. A .308 would convert to .338 Fed with only a barrel swap.

Basic Member
    What grain bullets are you planing to shoot?

Basic Member
    Why do this with a bolt gun, where you're not limited to compatibility to the AR platform for which it was designed?
    What's the intended application?

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies.

Build would be off of a bolt action because I have a few sitting around at the moment, played with the ARs a little but not my thing.

Intended purpose would just be to do it, see what kind of accuracy could be attained, maybe try casting for some subsonic loads, see how they look in gel etc.

I don't hunt anymore but would be interested in how the round looked performance wise for a hunting application, what it's limits would be.

Just looked kind of interesting really.

Basic Member
    While it's not my cup of tea I do salute those who are willing to go off the beaten path. I would like to hear about if you decide to build it.

Basic Member
    Mattri,
    Did you decide on building the thumper?

The more I think about this, the more I think it is not a project I would ever consider for a bolt rifle. An AR, perhaps, but probably not even then.

My reasoning for not doing it in a bolt is that .338 Fed 225g starting loads are 300fps faster with the higher B.C. 225g bullets and max loads are 800fps faster with 200g bullets. More 'thump' either way and full-house loads are great for most hunting purposes.

But I'm a practical, penny-pincher when it comes to parting with my hard-earned cash. Usually. :)

Banned
    No thanks! I don’t trust these straight wall, head spacing on the case mouth...giant bullet in a tiny case, CARTRIDGES! You know what you WON’T find on the Thumper? Videos showing it in ACTUAL testing! I’m not trusting their velocity/distance claims.

If you want something like this, I would go with the 338 Spectre. Much better looking prospect. And this would be for an AR. I wouldn’t dream of using these in a bolt gun! If you want a 338 in a short action bolt, go 338 Federal. Just makes sense!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the interest in this idea!

Really not interested in an ar build, just not my cup of tea. For what's interesting about an idea like this bolt action is definitely the way to go.

338 Federal would be a step in the wrong direction, looking at options that maximize subsonic accuracy/performance- moving up in case capacity would be counterproductive.

The 223 parent case makes everything easy. Sure you have some initial trimming/forming but then you're g2g. Cheap plentiful cases and no need to modify a bolt face like with the spectre. Headspaces off the mouth- why not? Get everything set up it isn't that big of a deal. Being able to run a repeater would be great but not a deal breaker, glad the BO guys aren't having any feeding/extraction issues.

Major downsides seem to be bullet selection, especially with cast options. Will keep looking to move forward with this idea but not married to the case, thanks again for the replies.