Thread: 223, Varget, 55gr TTSX, looking for bolt action load data/start point

223, Varget, 55gr TTSX, looking for bolt action load data/start point

Hey guys, title pretty much says it all. I have tons of 223 brass, Varget, and lucked into some super cheap 55gr TTSX's, so I'm trying to put them together and get good velocity out of a 223 Savage Axis. I don't need pinpoint accuracy, this will be a short-range whitetail/hog load if it goes anywhere. I figured I'd start around 24gr and go up til I see pressure signs but I'm not fond of venturing off into the dark on loads without at least a bit of data. Personal experience welcome!

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

The barnes data doesn't list this combo. The 62gr and 53gr both have Varget, but the 55gr doesn't. I considered using the 53gr data because it's very close, but I was hoping for more concrete info or personal data

Basic Member
    I suspect that the reason that the 55 gr data doesn't include Varget is because it seems to perform best with heavier bullets, at least for me.

For bullets below 60 grains, I have gotten the best results with H335, N133, and CFE223.
    When I have loaded bullets 55 grains and lighter with H4895, Varget, IMR4166, and IMR4064 and other powders that perform extremely well with my .22-250s and my .308s, I haven't gotten as accurate results.
    But with 60, 69 and 77 grain bullets, those powders shoot lights out.

No help with target load data, but have had bad luck with TTSX 55gs on hogs shot in the vitals with no blood trail or recovery. Shot a doe at close range and did not recover with lack of blood as built must not of expanded and just passed through. Yes I know shot placement but these should have resulted in meat.

I liked the way they grouped but have gone back to Nosler's after these bad results on game.

I used the Nosler load data for Varget and 55g bullets, very accurate load but I use Vmax or Varmegeddon bullets.

Basic Member
    You haven't stated what your barrel length is, what your chamber depth is, what magazine limits you rifle has, or how deep you want to seat your bullets.

How do you expect anyone with a conscience to give you a load recommendation when you haven't even stated any of that information. A bad assumption or two and a recommendation could put you over Pmax.

If I assumed you had a short barreled Axis with some magazine length limits the charge would be lighter because the bullet would be seated back into the neck further, increasing the pressure.
    If I assumed you had a long-barreled target rifle meant for long range shooting, then the bullet could probably be seated about 0.020 off the lands and the powder charge would be heavier to get the same velocity because of the extra space in the cartridge for the gas to expand lowers the pressure.

See if this helps you find a starting point - since the seating depth and trim length are the same as stated for most loading manual conditions - close or at nominal SAAMI recommendations.
    With a Barnes 55 gr TTSX BT #30187 bullet, 24 grains of Varget will produce the following velocities loaded at 2.260 O.A.L at 1.750 trim length in the following barrel lengths, all with 46,947 psi pressure for .223 Remington since you said '.223' was your caliber.

18 inches = 2820 fps
    20 inches = 2918 fps
    22 inches = 2983 fps
    24 inches = 3040 fps
    26 inches = 3092 fps

SAAMI specifies Pmax at 55,000 psi for a .223 Rem. (46,947 is 85.4% of Pmax) and it wouldn't take much to get to Pmax.

Now you'll have something to start with but I'm afraid you still have a lot of figuring yet to do.

Not to be a smart**s but there are many reloading manuals that will provide you with the answers you are looking for. "Venturing off into the dark" has been done for you by the ballistics experts who provide the data for the reloading manuals. Asking for, and using another shooter's load data can be very dangerous. Your answers will be found in the manuals.

I would start in the middle of the range for the listed 62gr TTSX data from Barnes (24.0 or 24.5gr) and work up in 0.2 or 0.3gr intervals until you start seeing pressure signs. Nosler lists 23gr min and 25gr max for their 55 grain pills.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain