Thread: I want to rebore a Savage 110E 270 to a 9.3x62

I want to rebore a Savage 110E 270 to a 9.3x62

Hey everyone!!

I’m back.

I was wondering if anyone has sent a Savage barreled action off the JES, mine in particular, is a 270 Win, and I want them to rebore/rechamber to a 9.3x62!

Or should I just buy an ER Shaw barrel kit in .338-06, and switch it out that way?

I, as usual, look to all of your experience and expertise.

Hawk

Personally I would do a Shaw but not in 338-06. Why anyone would want to go with a 9.3x62 is a mystery to me. I believe your original idea was to go with 35 Whelen.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Personally I would do the Shaw. I believe your original idea was to go with 35 Whelen. Why anyone would want to go with a 9.3x62 is a mystery to me.
    Agreed this way it is a barrel swap and you can always go back to .270. If you have the barrel bored out and rechambered and it get munged up you are out a barrel and nothing to fall back on.

Personally I would do a Shaw but not in 338-06. Why anyone would want to go with a 9.3x62 is a mystery to me. I believe your original idea was to go with 35 Whelen.
    Yes, I have my original Savage 111 in the works to become a 35 Whelen.
    I bought another Savage, this time a 110E in .270, and want to swap that barrel out as well.
    I’m leaning more towards the 338-06 on this one.

Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Agreed this way it is a barrel swap and you can always go back to .270. If you have the barrel bored out and rechambered and it get munged up you are out a barrel and nothing to fall back on.
    Agreed!
    So I will keep the .270 barrel then, and more than likely buy the .338-06 Shaw barrel kit.

Hawk

Question. If you don't reload, why would you want to go with a 338-06? If you do reload. why would you want to go with a 338-06. Just askin.

Question. If you don't reload, why would you want to go with a 338-06? If you do reload. why would you want to go with a 338-06. Just askin.
    Well, I do reload.
    I like the idea of being able to use affordable brass coupled with a big, heavy bullet, and decent velocities.
    I suppose I could go with a 24 inch barreled.30-06, which is a really good round.
    But, something really is talking to me about the mid bore calibers based on the ‘06 case.
    I could go with a .270 with a 24 inch barrel, or a 6.5x55, too!
    But those big heavy bullets really have a lot of energy behind them, and they won’t loosen my fillings at the same time like the whiz-bang magnum rounds do.

Hawk

Team Savage
    Of all the larger cals you can do with an 06 case, the 338 has the most variety of bullets. From 180, maybe less, to 300 gr. there are dozens of 338 size bullets from many makers. Keep the barrel as long as you are comfortable with to wring out more velocity from your loads. I did the shaw kit. The barrel was heavy and I had it cut at 21 in. 22 would have been better and 23 even more so. I've been hoping to get a moose in my sights and put a 250 gr. Sierra in it. Bullet leaves the barrel at 2500. Maybe this year.
    Good luck with the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Of all the larger cals you can do with an 06 case, the 338 has the most variety of bullets. From 180, maybe less, to 300 gr. there are dozens of 338 size bullets from many makers. Keep the barrel as long as you are comfortable with to wring out more velocity from your loads. I did the shaw kit. The barrel was heavy and I had it cut at 21 in. 22 would have been better and 23 even more so. I've been hoping to get a moose in my sights and put a 250 gr. Sierra in it. Bullet leaves the barrel at 2500. Maybe this year.
    Good luck with the swap.
    Yeah, the barrel I’m looking at is exactly that, an ER Shaw barrel kit, blued, 24 inches, magnum contour.
    I don’t mind 24 inch barrels. I’m used to them. I’ve never really had one hang up in the woods. Now, I had a 26 inch hang up once, that wasn’t fun, and it was noisy!
    That’s what I like about the 338-06, and the bullets. There is a large variety of them.
    I’m thinking a 210 gr Accubond might do well for an everything bullet. But, I do like Hornady as well.

Thank you!

Hawk

I like the idea of being able to use affordable brass coupled with a big, heavy bullet, and decent velocities.
    Agree. That's why I thought you're original idea of the 35 Whelen was the better one. You got me interested in what was available for .338 so I started looking at it. 338-06 stuff is really expensive and almost no one, except custom, makes ammunition for it. Well I did see some Nosler at $106 a box! On on the other hand, there was a lot more available in the 35 Whelen. Anyway I am glad you posted...it got me looking at the 35 Whelen and now I understand why it is somewhat popular again. I mean if you can't kill whatever you are shooting at with a 200 grain projectile moving at 2900fps....RUN! or PRAY...whatever seems to be the better move at the time.

Good luck on you're "shootin arn" builds!

Agree. That's why I thought you're original idea of the 35 Whelen was the better one. You got me interested in what was available for .338 so I started looking at it. 338-06 stuff is really expensive and almost no one, except custom, makes ammunition for it. Well I did see some Nosler at $106 a box! On on the other hand, there was a lot more available in the 35 Whelen. Anyway I am glad you posted...it got me looking at the 35 Whelen and now I understand why it is somewhat popular again. I mean if you can't kill whatever you are shooting at with a 200 grain projectile moving at 2900fps....RUN! or PRAY...whatever seems to be the better move at the time.

Good luck on you're "shootin arn" builds!
    Yeah, the factory ammo for the 338-06 is out of this world.
    I’m glad I reload, and can use less expensive means to make my own ammo.
    I agree! A 200gr 35 Whelen bullet at 2900 fps is a hell of a whopper! And you’re right, if something survives that, you’re in trouble!
    It is probably the same with the .338-06! It takes a lot to stop those weights of bullets, and the energy transfer is amazing.
    I don’t mind at all that when I pull the trigger, whatever I’m shooting at will fall over, and fall like it was hit with a ton of bricks.
    Plus, I won’t have to be beaten up in the process, like when I shoot my 300 Win Mag!
    But, I’m looking forward to having 2 extremely effective rifle rounds that can take anything here in North America.

Hawk

Basic Member
    FWIW I had built a 338-06 a few years ago and enjoyed it. Dunno why the pictures aren't loading but:
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...inally-Started

Thank you for posting.

I did enjoy reading the posts on your project.

I was set to buy the last Shaw barrel kit off of Brownell’s that was in .338-06, and someone else beat me to it.

So, for now, I’m thinking rebore to 9.3x62. Unless another barrel kit pops up in the .338-06.

None of the pics came up when I was reading your posts.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call me “crazy”, but I’m wondering if I shouldn’t get an ER Shaw barrel kit with stainless steel barrel, 24 inches, 1 in 10 in twist, and keep it in .270 Win!
    The .270 Win does best with a 24 in barrel, to eke out as much velocity as possible with cartridge.

Hawk

Basic Member
    I guess it depends on what you are going to do with it.

I’m wondering if I shouldn’t get an ER Shaw barrel kit with stainless steel barrel, 24 inches,
    Might even be a better idea than the 9.3x62.

Shaw used to make a 9.3x62 Mauser barrel. Stainless, 24" 1-12 Twist.

Basic Member
    9.3x62 is a great caliber. same bolt face as 30-06. better factory ammo selection then the whelen. just not well known in the US

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I guess it depends on what you are going to do with it.
    Well, If I go with 270, I will use it for the smallest would be coyote, the heaviest, and it being a maybe, would be elk & moose.
    But mostly antelope and deer, I’m thinking.

Hawk

Might even be a better idea than the 9.3x62.

Shaw used to make a 9.3x62 Mauser barrel. Stainless, 24" 1-12 Twist.
    I saw that Shaw did make a barrel kit at one time in 9.3x62!
    If anyone sees one being sold, please let me know?
    I will snag it up in a NY minute!

Hawk

Basic Member
    For those kinds of animals the .270 would be just about perfect.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    For those kinds of animals the .270 would be just about perfect.
    I agree and a fine choice IMHO.

Basic Member
    I've killed all of those with a 270 except the moose. Certainly had the opportunity but don't like the meat.

I want to rebore a Savage 110E 270 to a 9.3x62

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    I've killed all of those with a 270 except the moose. Certainly had the opportunity but don't like the meat.
    Can you tell me about your experience with your .270?

I know Jack O’Connor made it famous, and he took every game animal under the sun possible with one, but his hunting was the kind where he could wait a month on getting the text book broadside shot. And be able to shoot under 300 yds, at that.

Now, forgive me, but isn’t a 130gr .277 cal bullet quite light for big elk, and moose? I know a 150 gr bullet serves it better in energy, and the trajectory isn’t that much off from a 130gr bullet.

My experience with a 7mm Rem Mag and a .300 Win Mag has been quite good. Usually anything I’ve shot has gone down quite fast, a few paces, or dropped right there.

I, hate to say, that I’m ignorant when it comes to using the .270 and it’s capabilities.

Please enlighten me so!

Hawk

Basic Member
    A 130gr bullet over H4831 has been a go to load in the 270 for decades- but my gun just didn't like it. Tried 150s and not much luck there either but came across some Nosler 140s and that was the ticket. Found a good liad and never looked back. Accuracy was excellent, flat trajectory, mildish recoil and excellent performance on game. Mulies and pronghorn dropped like stones, coyotes turned inside out. Only shot 1 elk, a big red desert elk at 200ish yards- hit him right and he took 2 steps, stumbled and fell over. I don't live out west anymore but never felt undergunned with the 270. Came into a nice 7mm wsm that I used for a bit and don't think it killed any quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    A 130gr bullet over H4831 has been a go to load in the 270 for decades- but my gun just didn't like it. Tried 150s and not much luck there either but came across some Nosler 140s and that was the ticket. Found a good liad and never looked back. Accuracy was excellent, flat trajectory, mildish recoil and excellent performance on game. Mulies and pronghorn dropped like stones, coyotes turned inside out. Only shot 1 elk, a big red desert elk at 200ish yards- hit him right and he took 2 steps, stumbled and fell over. I don't live out west anymore but never felt undergunned with the 270. Came into a nice 7mm wsm that I used for a bit and don't think it killed any quicker.
    That’s really good to know!
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. I greatly appreciate it.

I used to live in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I would go to the mountains, outside Laramie, in the Snowy Range. My 7 Mag took several deer, and they were all DRT. My 300 Win Mag, big bodied Mulie, just a few steps. Elk, about 15 paces.
    Good to know about the .270 Win! I will have to evaluate more about it.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk