Thread: making a savage model 12 bvss a single shot

Basic Member

making a savage model 12 bvss a single shot

i have a question does anyone make a plate to convert a model 12 bvss with blind magazine into a single shot so i can get rid of the blind magazine and follower. ?
    this would be for a wsm action thats staggard feed

Team Savage
    Score High makes a single shot plate that fits on top of the original follower. The stagger feed mag stays in place. Pull the spring and follower, add the Score High follower and put it back together. Sinclair and Brownell's as well as a few others sell them. OR, if you're really into it, you might try getting an adapter/adaptor plate from Sharp Shooter Supply, make a few mods and it will end up as a permanent fix. I've done both.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    is it still about impossible to get ahold of anyone at sharp shooter supply ?

Team Savage
    Then just go with the Score High Follower. Problem solved. Sharp Shooter Supply isn't the only show in town.
    Get the Score High follower, work with that and send SSS an email and see if they'll get back to you. Seems like there's a couple of guys that are making bottom plates that can be modified? Do some digging and see what you come up with.

Team Savage
    Try this (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Shot...AAAOSwyXFapv3h) May be just what you need.
    And the one for the long action was listed just below it.

Basic Member
    My bvss feeds single rounds (.308) just fine. I lay them on top of the follower/feed lips and close the bolt. I still have the blind magazine if I ever want to use it.

My Axis will not feed .223 that way. I have to use the magazine in that one.

Team Savage

I purchased a single shot follower for my 12FV centerfeed blind mag from SSS about a month or so ago. Sent an order form about a week ago for one of their precision lugs so hope to hear from them soon.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    My bvss feeds single rounds (.308) just fine. I lay them on top of the follower/feed lips and close the bolt. I still have the blind magazine if I ever want to use it.
    Same here. Every bolt action rifle I have, I can just set a round on top of the follower and have no issues. This way when I am doing real slow firing at the range, I can single feed, but if/when I need the mag, I still have it.

Basic Member
    I have no problem with single round loading on all of my short action .308 and 6.5mm Creedmoor Savages.
    But not so with the .223 12 FV.
    That action won't correctly feed a .223 round placed on the follower. The point of the bullet jams into the top of the chamber face when the bolt is closed.
    Apparently the base doesn't get picked up in the bolt so the tip of the cartridge pops up and jams.

I have looked for a single round follower that will fit the Savage .233 magazine but the spacer at the back of the standard short action mag to keep the .223 round forward so it will feed, makes the mag wider than the short action followers that I use for my AR mags.

Team Savage
    All of my Savage rigs are either single shot actions or modified for single feeding with a bottom plate. Only issue is with a "very short round" like my 20 MGM (TCM) wildcat. You have to point the round up into the chamber to get it to feed. A PITA but I'am still working on it.
    Did lay the short round in XP 100 action and it slides into the chamber as smooth as butter. May go to an XP for that round. Just wish the XP came in a left hander. Shoot it right handed, feed ammo and work the bolt with my free left hand. Perfect for bench shooting.

Mikie, The Savage target action does well with the 223 also
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    The Target Action may work with the .223 but try shorter rounds. Loading into the chamber may be fine with the .223 OR even the .221 Fireball BUT, I'am dealing with a very short round. Case length is just at 1.0" with a OAL of 1.5". Lay that round in the action and you need to "point it up and start it into the chamber" before you start thinking about closing the bolt. No way to get around it.
    A Martini, TC or just about any drop port/rolling block action would probably work. Out of curiosity, I drug out my XP 100 converted rifle and laid a round in the action. Closed the bolt and was amazed that the round slid into the chamber with NO ISSUES. Being that the round is so short, I didn't turn the bolt handle all the way down to firing position. I could have but I may have had to remove the round with a cleaning rod if it got stuck. On my Savage action, you MUST point the round up and start it into the chamber before starting to close the bolt. Not the best for shooting conditions. A work in progress.