Thread: So where are we buying barrels from now?

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

So where are we buying barrels from now?

From late 2015 thru 2016 I bought 12 barrels from Jim at Apache Gun Works, Custom Exhaust Piping and Plumbing Supplies Inc. Most were X-Caliber or Criterion.
    All were cut to my specs perfectly. All were (and some still are) exceptional shooters.

For the past year and 4 messages thru his website and I can't get in touch with him. Now, I know there were some personal things going on and maybe he's still PO'ed about that life size Hillary Clinton cardboard cut-out I sent him (I really did) but now I'm looking at getting a few more 338 Edge barrels, 300 RUM and maybe another 300 Win Mag.

Do we have anyone else where I can appropriate Savage rifle barrels without having to take out a mortgage.

Whoever I can come up with (with any help I can get here) will get all my barrel orders as long as the workmanship is good and the prices aren't insanity.

Maybe someone here can tell me about the advertiser on this site - Ragged Hole / Barrel Bros. - I believe. What's the deal with the Wilson barrels they have listed.
    My first preference would be X-Caliber since I had such great results with them but I am open to any suggestions.

Whatcha got?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    I'm just about ready to order one. After looking at everyone out there I'm going with Criterion. Last Saturday Mike from Criterion was at Brownells where I had the opportunity to visit with him at length about barrels in person face to face. Plus I already own one so I know how they shoot. I'm not looking for a cheap barrel, I'm looking for a good shooting barrel.

I have used Ragged Hole’s for a couple of barrels great to deal with. Wilson barrels are used by the bench rest crowd, they do shot, I have them in 35 Whelen AI 275 Rigby, 6mm Creedmoor. They do great work.

Respectfully
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Basic Member
    So I guess my most important question would be when y'all order a barrel are you buying "off the rack" or are you giving the pipe maker a set of specs and having it cut the way you request?

Some of the websites I've looked at have barrels already made to certain sizes. Hence, "off the rack."

Every barrel I have - either on hand or in the cabinet - are spec'ed by me. Specific lengths, muzzle end diameter, brake threads, etc. I do my own painting on them when I want something other than "shiny".

So you say Wilson is used by the BR crowd, eh?
    Considering the use I got out of one of my 338 Edge barrels, I'd kinda sorta like to go with them. Would you believe I sent over 2200 rounds thru it? First the 225gr bullets lost accuracy, then the 250gr and last the 300's wouldn't give me anything under a 6" group at 400yds. When I'd stick a cleaning patch thru it, I can feel where the rifling begins.
    About 2" beyond the end of the chamber.
    Nothing like getting your money's worth, I always say...

you can order from x- caliber direct.
    http://www.x-caliber.net

Get in touch with John at Ragged Hole, he should be able to hook you up.

Shilen of course, but the wait time...

James at NSS can special order something for you, but again - wait time.

X-Caliber - kinda iffy after their issues earlier in the year.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post

X-Caliber - kinda iffy after their issues earlier in the year.
    can you expand on this comment?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post

So you say Wilson is used by the BR crowd, eh? .
    Yeah.......they make the best stakes to mount wind flags........
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDug View Post
    can you expand on this comment?
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...rilled-crooked

Few of us had an issue where the threads were undersized and the barrels flopped around in the receiver. For me at least X-Cal did make it right and I have 2 great shooting barrels for pretty cheap. I like them so much that I have 2 more on order.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...rilled-crooked

Few of us had an issue where the threads were undersized and the barrels flopped around in the receiver. For me at least X-Cal did make it right and I have 2 great shooting barrels for pretty cheap. I like them so much that I have 2 more on order.

Ok was aware of this issue and I had a barrel on order while that was happening. Mine came in and shoots great. Have one on order right now as well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Yeah.......they make the best stakes to mount wind flags........

Heard about that.
    They were making the best Jack handles money could buy.

When I looked at X-Caliber on their website I thought I was going to need an extra blood pressure pill. How did Apache Jim sell them for so much less? Maybe he got a good deal on a truckload from a couple guys names Johnny Salami and Tony Bagadonuts?

SO the bottom line here is either go to the factory or get in touch with one of our sponsoring advertisers and hope I get the barrel before I'm too old to remember what to do with it.

Sound about right?

Basic Member
    You just missed the last X-Cal sale...25% off. They have been doing it every few months for a while now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    You just missed the last X-Cal sale...25% off. They have been doing it every few months for a while now.
    Yeah, I know.
    That's how my luck runs.

I'm not in a major hurry. I moved out to the woods 2.5 years ago and I'm starting to get caught up on land clearing, house building, planting food and all those fun things one would expect to do when you retire, move to the country and attempt to be self sustaining.

Now if only I could grow a barrel bush...

A direct email got a hold of Jim last week.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    From late 2015 thru 2016 I bought 12 barrels from Jim at Apache Gun Works, Custom Exhaust Piping and Plumbing Supplies Inc. Most were X-Caliber or Criterion.
    All were cut to my specs perfectly. All were (and some still are) exceptional shooter.

For the past year and 4 messages thru his website and I can't get in touch with him. Now, I know there were some personal things going on and maybe he's still PO'ed about that life size Hillary Clinton cardboard cut-out I sent him (I really did) but now I'm looking at getting a few more 338 Edge barrels, 300 RUM and maybe another 300 Win Mag.

Do we have anyone else where I can appropriate Savage rifle barrels without having to take out a mortgage.

Whoever I can come up with (with any help I can get here) will get all my barrel orders as long as the workmanship is good and the prices aren't insanity.

Maybe someone here can tell me about the advertiser on this site - Ragged Hole / Barrel Bros. - I believe. What's the deal with the Wilson barrels they have listed.
    My first preference would be X-Caliber since I had such great results with them but I am open to any suggestions.

Whatcha got?
    I'd put my money on this being your main issue!!!!!!
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    I'd put my money on this being your main issue!!!!!!
    It was pretty funny, too. We were talking on the phone and I really can't tell you what he called me but we both laughed like hell over it. It seems the package came to him when his brother in law was over. He wasn't expecting anything from UPS and when he opened the box, there in full color, full life size, is Hillary Clintons face looking back at him. He said his brother in law choked from laughing so hard.

He said he would set it up outside where ever there was a problem with pesky critters and bugs. Figured it would keep them away.

Basic Member
    LOL.....For safety's sake, please signal appropriately before making a HARD RIGHT in your conversation.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage
    I have 3 barrels from ragged hole. 2 have been prefits and 1 was a blank. The 2 prefits one in 17 caliber and 1 in 25-06 are excellent. I should receive the blank tomorrow but expect it to be outstanding as well. Give them a try I think you will be pleasantly surprised!!

Basic Member
    Got 2 Criterion pre fit Savage SS Match hand lapped barrels from NSS,1-204 ruger,1-6 creedmoor,both were $300 + $19 shpg,i did get 2 Precision recoil lugs and 2 barrel nuts, $ 28 ea,w/a Manson go gage for each barrel,$35 ea,I use piece of .002 paper on back of Go gage for No go gage.I did have to pay extra $75 to get 6 creed barrel muzzle, threaded for a muzzle brake.Both can shoot Bugholes, the 204 can shoot in the .2 moa range,have shot less than .3 moa at 1000 yards w/ 6creed barrel,More than Happy w/ both of them

3 inch group at 1000 yards!!!!!!!!! Do you mind giving your name. I would like to know who we are talking to. I'm certain most of us will know who you are.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I’ll admit to being on thin ice among the barrel experts. Bartlein custom made a ss .270 barrel. I gave them a 116 sporter barrel to match and it is about as close to a Savage sporter as a custom barrel could be. They chambered, crowned, and head spaced it too. They took the order saying they don’t do a lot of .270’s let alone in Savage sporter dimension requests. So I take it as good customer service they were willing to take on a pedestrian project. Maybe it was a little over $600 out the door.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    3 inch group at 1000 yards!!!!!!!!! Do you mind giving your name. I would like to know who we are talking to. I'm certain most of us will know who you are.
    That must have been on one of those very rare got "blown in" days. lol
    So Frank, are you shootin all those trees down with the 338 or what?

Basic Member
    I've got a custom barrel coming from Devin at Sinarms right now. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up by end of July.

If it's a prefit, I usually go with Northland Shooters Supply.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    That must have been on one of those very rare got "blown in" days. lol
    So Frank, are you shootin all those trees down with the 338 or what?
    Buck, if you really must know...

ABout 6-7 months ago I was running some load tests on one of my 338 Edge Monsters. The final 4 rounds of the last charge weight weren't looking too promising so I sent 3 downrange and the very last round I aimed for a 1/2 dead Water Oak. They're pretty much worthless anyway. They get infested with mistletoe and always look ratty so, I popped off a round of 103gr of N570 pushing a 215gr Sierra Game King.

As the bullet passes thru the tree I see shards of wood blow out the back, chuckled to myself and did an about face to head back to the shop.

3 seconds later I hear what sounds like the crackling of breaking wood. I look over my shoulder and down she went. I took a walk down to have a look. The bullet blew out a chunk about 24"x 8" wide along with a bunch of splinters.

So to answer your question, yes, I did do a little land clearing with a .338. By the way, that 28" barrel and load combo is sending those 215 SGK's at 3475 fps avg of 5 shots.

Some guys are easily amused...