Thread: Cases f the same lot

Cases f the same lot

Can one assume that a box of ammo will have cases all from the same lot?

Basic Member
    With the sheer volume of rounds being made...I doubt it.

I was just tring to be hopeful I guess., thanks.

Basic Member
    I would think the chances are pretty good that they are because the lot size for a commercial brass shipment must be at least several thousand boxes worth. But I guess there is a slight probability that a particular box was at the end of one brass lot and got a new lot mixed in with the previous lot's brass.

It probably is a reasonable assumption that all the cases in one 20 round box came from the same lot of brass.
    However, if you have multiple boxes of ammo, you would have to be check that each of the multiple ammo boxes came from the same production lot if you wanted to assume that all the cases from a bunch of boxes of ammo came from the same brass lot.

Came to mind because I was wondering if it was worth to keep box shells separate.

Basic Member
    Are you wanting to reload the cases or just want consistent ammo? Weigh them out and sort them...

"Celltech" nailed it. Weigh/sort and your good to go.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

For reloading. Consistently in cases is the goal.

Basic Member
    I don't think you'd ever hear this from a nut for consistency and precision reloading like me, DesertDug, but here it is.

For my Les Baer .223, and all my semi-autos for that matter, I actually use factory cases.
    After trying Lapua brass with the Les Baer Super Varmint .223, I found the expensive brass got battered around and didn't last all that well.
    I had lots of factory brass from my .223s, mostly from Federal Gold Medal Match, Nosler Match, and Norma Match factory ammo, and started to use that. It didn't last longer but I didn't mind having 'free' factory brass beat up and thrown out as much as losing the Lapua brass.
    I still use only Lapua .223 brass for my bolt action rifles.

The Les Baer has averaged 0.417 for over 300 5 round groups and its top 10 powder-bullet combinations average 0.354 for 68 groups.
    I still load for exit time for the 416R 18-inch barrel when I load, but the factory brass does pretty well as you can see.

I wouldn't get too concerned with factory brass if you weigh it and sort it, especially when you are testing out a new rifle and getting to know it's idiosyncrasies.
    It might surprise you with the accuracy you achieve once you get yourself accustomed to the new rifle.

I'd still get good brass when I got ready to kick it up a notch, but I wouldn't get too concerned before you try it out.
    Last edited by CFJunkie; 05-23-2019 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Typos

Basic Member
    Do your own test. Weight sort 10-20 pieces of brass, and load 10-20 of random weights. Shoot the same load in them all. 10 or 20 shot groups, depending on how many you chose. See what the difference in groups is. I did 10 shot groups last time I tried this, and one group was 0.69". The other was 0.70". The time before that, also 10-shot groups, one was 0.70 and the other was 0.71, with the random cases shooting the slightly smaller group. No statistical significance, in my two tests.

will do Jim, I am gonna keep separate and compare as you suggest.

Basic Member
    Please post your results. That would be great feedback. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
    Please post your results. That would be great feedback. TIA.
    Targets at = or > 300 yrds for real results.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I only have 2 to compare, a lot of 10 and a lot of 17 I have 10 more that have been reloaded already and will be looked at in the next go around. Here are the trim lenght and case weights in grains.
    [IMG] [IMG] [/IMG][/IMG]

These cases were all fully prepped, full sized, attempted cut to 1.910" with WGT trimmer which indexes off the shoulder, neck chamfered, flash debured and pockets cleaned.

Sorry Robinhood, this test will not have real results and will be shot at 100 yards.
    Last edited by DesertDug; 05-23-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added

No need to apologize. The test is for you not for us. If you ever start going longer and given these cases have random numbers of firings as well as brass prep, it might serve you better to anneal and ignore weight. Sort out the flyer brass from there. I have found that once primer pockets are uniformed or modified and cases are trimmed, similar weights are no longer a great indicator of similar volume cases, at least with same manufacturer cases.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Annealing brass, cutting to length, turning necks has equated to smaller groupings whatever the brass I've owned and used. Didn't bother trying years ago. I do now. Course it helps when my best buddy happens to be my shooting partner and owns a Gracy case trimmer that has the ability of cutting, chamfering inside and out case mouth all at the same time at the blink of an eye and owns a Annealezz annealing machine that heats and process,s a butt load of cases at one time. Reloaders (self included) can be hard headed. Once I gave in and dove into the prep process, I was sold.
    Desert dug.......IMHO. If you really want to get down to the natts ass as far as consistency?...this process has worked for me. Time consuming but worth it.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Turning brasss and annealing is not in my process at this time.

Basic Member
    DesertDug,

Don't sweat trying to get the the last few thousandths, especially if your not shooting at long distances.
    From what I've seen so far, you are already making great progress.
    Only you know how you're using your rifles and your reloads.

Don't let guys like me who are anal about accuracy in their own little niche impact your broader picture.
    If you are hunting primarily and using target shooting to help tune your technique, you are already proceeding on a path toward the improvements you feel are going to give you the results you desire.
    If you desire to consistently shoot game at 400+ yards, then you already know what your goals require.
    You'll know if you flatten out on improvement doing what you are currently doing and you're short of your goal, that you'll need to take the next step.

But whatever you do, don't try to take all the possible steps at once.
    All you'll manage to do is mix the data and maybe miss the steps that will give you the biggest benefit.
    You'll have done a lot of extra work to possibly confuse yourself.

10-4 cfjunkie, like you said, I am on the road headed towards my goal. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDug View Post
    Turning brasss and annealing is not in my process at this time.
    Roger that. Cant say I blame you. Tooling up for the extensive processing of brass can be big $$$. Theres cheaper ways to anneal case necks it if ever you choose that path. FWIW....Ive found equal neck tension between all cases to be a major factor in the quest for consistency. For me the weight of a case isnt as important than the same malleability of the neck tension on each case.
    Theres so many formulas that reloaders use chasing the goal of accuracy and consistency it,ll blow your mind. We all have our own nitch.
    IMO...your on the right path......asking questions is always key, reloader or not.
    Good luck.......have fun
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

You bet always ready to learn more.