Thread: 270 WSM problem

270 WSM problem

Hello,
    I drug out a 270 WSM rifle I’ve had for a few years but never shot it in AWHILE!

This is a sporter barrel I believe I bought from a member here on this forum, and set it up in an action I had laying around.

I replaced the bolt face with one that measured .5350 and set the headspace with a set of PTG GO/NOGO gauges marked 270/300 WSM.

The last time I shot this rifle I did not put in my notes I had any problems, But this time when I processed the fired-from-this-rifle brass (FL sized, trimmed to 2.090)
    I tried a few pieces of brass before I loaded any of them to see how they chambered and the bolt closed about 95% and then was real hard to close and just as hard to open the bolt.

I decided to anneal all the brass and start over processing the brass. The same results! And on the rim of the head of the brass were a couple of small nicks in the brass.

I got my GO-NOGO gauges out and checked the headspace and it was fine…. Easy to close on the GO gauge and the bolt stopped at about the 3 o’clock position on the NO-GO.

I called myself scrubbing the chamber/barrel real well in case there were any buildup before I put it away months ago as well as this time.

Any ideas here what might be going on here?

Thanks for looking!
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    When you FL size the brass and it fits tight, try turning the die in another 1/2 turn and see if it helps. Sometimes the "play" or slop in the press linkage will not allow the ram to run the brass deep enough into the die.

I always size one or two pieces and do a chamber check to make sure they fit ok.

Don't forget to put a little sizing lube on that brass, too.
    If you don't you may become a member of the "can't get the brass outta the die" club. No membership dues and it's a lifetime membership...

PS - looking at the SAMMI size specs of brass for .270 & .300 WSM, there is a difference in the length from the case head to the top of the shoulder. The OAL is the same.

Look 'em up on a reloading data site and you'll see what I mean.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

To supplement what fgw in fla stated, it is important to know if your sized brass is slightly shorter at the shoulder than fired brass. You need a means of measuring that length. You also need to measure the head diameter just above the extraction groove. It is common for WSM's to have trouble in that area.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    When you FL size the brass and it fits tight, try turning the die in another 1/2 turn and see if it helps. Sometimes the "play" or slop in the press linkage will not allow the ram to run the brass deep enough into the die.

I always size one or two pieces and do a chamber check to make sure they fit ok.

Don't forget to put a little sizing lube on that brass, too.
    If you don't you may become a member of the "can't get the brass outta the die" club. No membership dues and it's a lifetime membership...

PS - looking at the SAMMI size specs of brass for .270 & .300 WSM, there is a difference in the length from the case head to the top of the shoulder. The OAL is the same.

Look 'em up on a reloading data site and you'll see what I mean.
    Hello there fgw_in_fla long time since I heard from you! Thanks for the reply. About the lube, I have not......Nope I'm not going to say it!!!! Just as sure as I do I will become a member!!

After I posted this post, it dawned on me to check the obvious by doing just as you suggested and setup my dies again and put about 1/2 more turn and tried a couple of pieces of brass and I think it made a skosh of a difference but still not as smooth as I would like it!

Thanks again! Stay in touch now that we live about 150 miles from each other!
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    To supplement what fgw in fla stated, it is important to know if your sized brass is slightly shorter at the shoulder than fired brass. You need a means of measuring that length. You also need to measure the head diameter just above the extraction groove. It is common for WSM's to have trouble in that area.
    Robinhood,

I have a set of Hornady Cartridge Headspace Gauge kit if that is what you mean about measuring the brass fired and sized. I have not done that as yet but do plan on doing so. Will report back when I do so.

You also need to measure the head diameter just above the extraction groove.
    Is there any data to go by when you get this measurement as to what is a go-nogo situation?

Thanks for your input here, I do appreciate all the help I can get!!

Is there any data to go by when you get this measurement as to what is a go-nogo situation?
    Compare to unfired/new brass. If the base is growing .003" or more it will probably stick in the chamber. Being hard to load or unload.

Compare to unfired/new brass. If the base is growing .003" or more it will probably stick in the chamber. Being hard to load or unload.

If I'm understanding you here is the results from Factory round and fired round.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Factory.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	6166

Name:	Fired.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	6167

Fired = .05550
    Factory = 0.5499
    ------------------
    Diff of .0051

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fla9-40 View Post
    If I'm understanding you here is the results from Factory round and fired round.

Name:	Factory.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	6166

Name:	Fired.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	6167

Fired = .05550
    Factory = 0.5499
    ------------------
    Diff of .0051
    That looks normal to me. If the brass is still a little sticky / tight in the chamber, don't be afraid to give that die another 1/2 turn. If that makes no difference then you probably screwed up when you put the barrel on and the rifle is worthless. Send it to me for proper disposal.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Forgot to add the sized brass

Name:	Resized1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	6168

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    That looks normal to me. If the brass is still a little sticky / tight in the chamber, don't be afraid to give that die another 1/2 turn. If that makes no difference then you probably screwed up when you put the barrel on and the rifle is worthless. Send it to me for proper disposal.

Good luck with your endeavor.
    I think I will give that a try, If that don't work I'm going to reset the headspace with a piece of brass I have resized! If that doesn't work - Then send it to you!

Thanks fgw_in_fla!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fla9-40 View Post
    I think I will give that a try, If that don't work I'm going to reset the headspace with a piece of brass I have resized! If that doesn't work - Then send it to you!

Thanks fgw_in_fla!
    If you're considering using the 'ol brass and tape method, a new piece of brass may be a better idea.
    If you have any. I suppose freshly FS brass works just as well.

Good luck and let me know if I need to come by to pick up that rifle.

Have you measured the case head space yet with your LNL gauge? This will tell you how much to turn your die. 1/2 turn may get you there ...but it amounts to .035".

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Have you measured the case head space yet with your LNL gauge? This will tell you how much to turn your die. 1/2 turn may get you there ...but it amounts to .035".
    Yes I did.... on 5 pieces of brass most (3) were pushed back .001 and the other two were .0015 after FL sizing