Thread: Where to start on a custom build???

Basic Member

Where to start on a custom build???

Having come to that point at which I think that I am not the limiting factor of my groupings (don't we all sooner or later) I have decided to explore the custom route. After spending a lot of time studying what is available and what it costs, I would like comments on whether to build or buy. From what I can see, it seems that a jamb up shooter could be built for 2-2.5K. There are questions that are weighing heavily on the decision.
    1. Is there that much accuracy difference in the use of the much more expensive actions or is it just eye candy for the range?
    2. Is there really that much difference in expensive stocks/chassis when comfort and stability is what we need?
    3. Barrels seem to me to be the heart of accuracy, but they seem to be reasonably priced even for the best.
    4. Triggers would seem to me to be right in there for importance, but they also seem to be reasonably priced comparatively in the scheme of things.
    5. Optics is a whole universe unto itself and is to me considered to be a quantifiable component apart from the rifle.
    These are just some of the questions that I have, but it's a start.

My preferences are:
    1. Pre-fit barrel for flexibility.
    2. Replaceable bolt head for flexibility.
    3. Replaceable bolt handle for flexibility.
    These 3 features allow speed and convenience, not to mention gunsmith fees and waits. Savage actions seem to cover all of these bases. I haven't found any Savage clones out there to consider. I looked a the listings at Northland for factory actions and can't find the combo that I want.
    I'm open for suggestions and discussion on this subject. What about it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyLRP View Post
    Having come to that point at which I think that I am not the limiting factor of my groupings (don't we all sooner or later) I have decided to explore the custom route. After spending a lot of time studying what is available and what it costs, I would like comments on whether to build or buy. From what I can see, it seems that a jamb up shooter could be built for 2-2.5K. There are questions that are weighing heavily on the decision.
    1. Is there that much accuracy difference in the use of the much more expensive actions or is it just eye candy for the range?
    2. Is there really that much difference in expensive stocks/chassis when comfort and stability is what we need?
    3. Barrels seem to me to be the heart of accuracy, but they seem to be reasonably priced even for the best.
    4. Triggers would seem to me to be right in there for importance, but they also seem to be reasonably priced comparatively in the scheme of things.
    5. Optics is a whole universe unto itself and is to me considered to be a quantifiable component apart from the rifle.

My preferences are:
    These 3 features allow speed and convenience, not to mention gunsmith fees and waits. Savage actions seem to cover all of these bases. I haven't found any Savage clones out there to consider. I looked a the listings at Northland for factory actions and can't find the combo that I want.
    I personally love savage target actions, pretty good selection of barrels... shilen, criterion.. just my 1 cent:)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Banned
    first DEFINE YOUR DISTANCE AND ACCURACY requirement.
    so in no real order
    accuracy starts with the bbl and the chamber.
    real accuracy comes from a chamber centered on where the bullet engages the lands. you will not get perfection in a prefit bbl. i did not say it will not shoot.
    i use krieger, broughton, lilja( i chamber my own)
    yes triggers count. hard to be consistent when the trigger pull is trying to move the rifle. for the record a bix and andy trigger is 4-500 dollars.
    stock is a big issue but may not have to be expensive. mine have run from 200-1000 bucks
    savage single shot, target action would be a starting point( no expensive actions are NOT eye candy. when you try one you will see why)
    optics limit your potential repeatable shots require a repeatable scope, they are not all the same.buy a known name form match results. essentially mine are nightforce.
    bullets make the world go round. cheap bullets loose performance as distance increases. i shoot custom, bergers, lapuas some sierras and some noslers, some hornady.
    i have a thread on an "inexpensive 2000 yd" build...change it to a drop in bbl and a less expensive scope and go.
    never shoot cheap brass

My preferences are:

Banned
    Is there a difference between Savage & custom actions? The short answer is yes. However MOST shooters(and I mean 99.9%), will never see that difference. For barrels, there is no way to know which barrel will be best based by the name. ALL premium barrels are going to perform very well. Brux & Bartlien are considered to be the front runners by the multitude, but why? Well, because people say so. There is no scientific data or evidence backing up the claim. My thoughts are to go with a barrel name YOU trust, for whatever reason that may be! Confidence in your product choice is an important thing. What I’m saying is if you spent many, many years using one barrel maker, and on your next barrel change it was changed to another maker, instead of your long-standing trusted brand(without your knowledge), you would likely never give it a thought performance wise. You are correct with Glass....it is in it’s own world completely! No one will dispute to go with the highest tier glass you can afford. Few can afford true top tier glass! I certainly cannot! Even within each tier there are levels. And going further still, our eyes often “SEE” through glass different. So taking two scopes in the same class, people can have drastically different opinions of clarity. Look through as many as you can and choose the highest class you can afford, which is also pleasing for your eye.

Basic Member
    Getting some good advice from yall. I didn't mention distance and the quest for a custom rig is accuracy. I shoot steel and paper and chase accuracy at all ranges. I think I will be building a 6.5 CM first because I like the parameters that it fills. Also, I have plenty of brass and components for reloading I have a Mod 12 LRP and a RPR in 6.5. I have tried several other 6.5s but I like these best. I got an Axis in 6.5 and kept it a week. The price was not the only thing cheap about it. I think the trigger was the biggest problem (about 7-8 pounds). Adjustable trigger $99 +shipping. Get an Axis 2 if you want cheap. I don't want a single shot target action, but I want SS. The savage bolt system is so flexible for changes. I don't know that I will change calibers, but it may need to have a smaller fp hole or different bolt handle. I think I would like to be able to replace the extractor also. All this is available a fair price and I am looking for substantial reasons to go high custom. I also have not been able so far to find a custom action that uses a savage bolt. I trust the quality barrel makers to chamber their barrels better than I can now. I still have my machines, but I would now rather someone else take the chance on ruining a barrel on their dime. No reflection on those who do. A tighter barrel fit is good, but I don't think that will improve me enough to warrant the cost of having a barrel custom fitted. I have looked for custom builds on You Tube and most of them just take a cheap rifle and put a new stock on it and maybe a trigger. This will be trying for a cheap high quality very accurate custom build. Please keep feeding me ideas and sources and what I always look for is what not to do from the experience of others. Thanks Yall, or in plural, All Yall.

Banned
    you are looking in all the wrong places.
    look at match results for scopes. bbl's and calibers/cartridges.
    it would appear my version of accuracy and yours are not the same
    have a good day.

Getting some good advice from yall. I didn't mention distance and the quest for a custom rig is accuracy. I shoot steel and paper and chase accuracy at all ranges. I think I will be building a 6.5 CM first because I like the parameters that it fills. Also, I have plenty of brass and components for reloading I have a Mod 12 LRP and a RPR in 6.5. I have tried several other 6.5s but I like these best. I got an Axis in 6.5 and kept it a week. The price was not the only thing cheap about it. I think the trigger was the biggest problem (about 7-8 pounds). Adjustable trigger $99 +shipping. Get an Axis 2 if you want cheap. I don't want a single shot target action, but I want SS. The savage bolt system is so flexible for changes. I don't know that I will change calibers, but it may need to have a smaller fp hole or different bolt handle. I think I would like to be able to replace the extractor also. All this is available a fair price and I am looking for substantial reasons to go high custom. I also have not been able so far to find a custom action that uses a savage bolt. I trust the quality barrel makers to chamber their barrels better than I can now. I still have my machines, but I would now rather someone else take the chance on ruining a barrel on their dime. No reflection on those who do. A tighter barrel fit is good, but I don't think that will improve me enough to warrant the cost of having a barrel custom fitted. I have looked for custom builds on You Tube and most of them just take a cheap rifle and put a new stock on it and maybe a trigger. This will be trying for a cheap high quality very accurate custom build. Please keep feeding me ideas and sources and what I always look for is what not to do from the experience of others. Thanks Yall, or in plural, All Yall.

Basic Member
    There is very little resale market for custom built guns, especially heavier ones.
    Therefore prices are usually much less than the cost to build new.
    Provided of coarse you can find something close to what you want.
    Id be checking out "Bob Whites shooters corner" website when you have a few hours of time to waste.

Banned
    I’m wondering something... In your first post you indicated that you believe “YOU” are not the limiting factor in your groupings. Now you have let us know you are the owner of a 12LRP in 6.5cm, and you have plenty of reloading supplies. So my question is, have you attempted reloading & worked up a load for your rifle? Also, is your 12LRP as it was from the factory? An aftermarket, properly bedded & free floated stock or aluminum chassis can greatly improve your groups. There are small things as well like trigger work.

Reason I ask these things, if your choice of building a custom rifle is solely based on unsatisfactory groups with your STOCK rifle with FACTORY ammunition, than I would recommend AGAINST. Not that I think it’s a mistake. Rather, if you are not currently reloading and have never even tried bedding your factory stock, you have not even scratched the surface.

Basic Member
    Dave; Thanks for the input. I have worked up loads for my 6.5s with a variety of powders and components. Had to try a lot of things back when H4350 was scarce. I've used a variety of brass and primers. I try different jumps and record all my data to pick up on temp changes and lot numbers. The LRP is probably due for a barrel swap since I lost track of the rounds through it over 1500 and the groups are gradually showing spreads. I didn't bed it because it was recommended that it not be bedded due to the v block alloy bed. I didn't change out the lug either because it was supposed to have a ground lug new. I do check all my torques fairly often. My RPR is still hanging in there good with a little over1000 rounds. I also shoot and reload .223 Rem bolt and .308 WIn. Thanks for the heads up on the used market Yobuck. I'll look and see what's there. Back to the build, I just want a gun that I can't blame for my shortcomings and the price and experience of building are also factors. The fact that I am retired and bored enters into this too. Weather permitting, I often shoot several days a week since my club is only 10 min from home.

Banned
    Gotcha! Wasn’t sure...as it was difficult to discern from your initial post. But sounds like you know what you are doing. My apologies. Much of what I said probably sounded like broken record to you.

I do in-fact, absolutely understand where you’re coming from. I was retired(disabled) in 2014, and you aren’t jokin’ about it coming into play with projects! Sometimes I start a project just because! I’ll machine something I really have no use for, just cause I can! Unfortunately I don’t get to shoot nearly as much as I would like. Mainly because I don’t drive. But I digress...

Based on this information, I would say go for it! Rebarrel(again, choose whichever of the high quality brands YOU trust), choose a good stock & bed, or chassis & your LRP will be a laser beam at any distance, well past 1K yards.

With the plethora of custom actions available today and some at very reasonable prices, I'd lean that way. Nothing against the Savage action, but it needs work (trigger, T&T job, etc) and you're going to be much more limited when it comes to aftermarket options with the Savage than you would be a custom with a Remington 700 footprint. Think triggers, stocks, magazine systems, etc.

The biggest benefit of a custom action is a smoother bolt which means disrupting the rifle less in your bags or rest when cycling it.

As for barrels, the quality of the finished product lies in the skill of the machinist who finishes it out. A "lazy" or "sloppy" machinist can ruin the best barrel blank in the world, but a good machinist that hit's the numbers and takes the time to do things right can make a mid-grade barrel shoot lights out. This is why the top gunsmiths generally have such long lead times - they have made a name for themselves by turning out good work and people are willing to wait for it.

Stock selection is all about personal preference and how you intend to use it. If you're skilled and have the means you can make your own laminate blank and build whatever type of stock you want. If you don't, you're pretty much left to what the market has to offer and/or what you're willing to spend.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Dave: Thanks for the comments. My gun club has morphed from skeet and rifle to handgun and archery. We have all the facilities for each. The new 3D archery course is looking more interesting all the time. I only think of handguns as self defense but try to keep up my proficiency. I have several different caliber ARs that I have built, but I still favor bolt guns. I have narrowed my cartridge selection down to .223, .308, and 6.5CM. I'm about to drop the .308s because of the kick even with Limbsaver. Muzzle breaks are frowned on because of the effect on other shooters. I haven't tried a mb with my silencer. I have a machine shop that I use for personal gun work and stock work. Our rifle range only gets crowded before and during hunting seasons to zero scopes. We have 300 yds, but I have to go to private land for long range. Doing a custom build will be a personal challenge, not just to have another gun. Contrary to popular belief, you can have too many and I reached that point long ago. Wish you could get out to my range with me.

Basic Member
    Really depends on what you want to do with it. When you say prefit barrel flexibility, I assume you mean prefit savage flexibility. There are several actions made today that use savage barrel threads.
    Savage
    All actions from American Rifle Company (Nucleus, Archimedes, Mausingfield)
    I think the Bighorn Actions also use Savage barrel nuts
    Ultimatum Deadline actions

Why would I choose to go with a a custom receiver vs a factory made:
    1: reliability: Custom receivers often eliminate the headaches of extraction, ejections, and feeding problems often seen with stock Remington 700 and Savage 110 actions. They already have an upgraded and superior feeding, extraction, and ejection systems. The mausingfield, one that I run in PRS competitions, utilizes the Mauser extraction and springfield ejection.
    2: Resale: If you choose to go send a factory receiver (remington, savage, etc) to a gunsmith to time and true, upgrade the ejection and extraction issues prone to certain actions, you are the price point now of a custom receiver in the first place. The origin starts around $850 and the Nucleus is around $1000. If you choose to sale your custom rifle, you can break the rifle apart and get most of your money back for it.

With all that being said; I still have a couple of Savage rifles that have been T&T with upgraded triggers in them. I do NOT run these in PRS competitions. They cannot keep up with the demands of the competition against the Mausingfield. IMO, a T&T action will shoot just as accurately as a custom action. So if you're looking at shooting in club bench rest or F CLass, a factory rifle with an upgraded barrel will be tough to beat.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Banned
    Dave: Thanks for the comments. My gun club has morphed from skeet and rifle to handgun and archery. We have all the facilities for each. The new 3D archery course is looking more interesting all the time. I only think of handguns as self defense but try to keep up my proficiency. I have several different caliber ARs that I have built, but I still favor bolt guns. I have narrowed my cartridge selection down to .223, .308, and 6.5CM. I'm about to drop the .308s because of the kick even with Limbsaver. Muzzle breaks are frowned on because of the effect on other shooters. I haven't tried a mb with my silencer. I have a machine shop that I use for personal gun work and stock work. Our rifle range only gets crowded before and during hunting seasons to zero scopes. We have 300 yds, but I have to go to private land for long range. Doing a custom build will be a personal challenge, not just to have another gun. Contrary to popular belief, you can have too many and I reached that point long ago. Wish you could get out to my range with me.
    Yeah I can say I wish that as well. But a nice thought like that aimed at my direction means quite a bit to me my friend. I absolutely agree about “having too many”. Unless the individual is a collector I guess. I never was, but at one point in my mid 20’s I had more firearms than I could afford to feed, LOL! I realized THAT wasn’t my thing. And I have kept a more simple “meat n’ potatoes” collection ever since. And while defensive training was my heavily favored action for most of my life, as I get older(and disabled), long range bolt guns have become my passion.

I look forward to following your progress on whichever build you decide.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Is there a difference between Savage & custom actions? The short answer is yes. However MOST shooters(and I mean 99.9%), will never see that difference. For barrels, there is no way to know which barrel will be best based by the name. ALL premium barrels are going to perform very well. Brux & Bartlien are considered to be the front runners by the multitude, but why? Well, because people say so. There is no scientific data or evidence backing up the claim. My thoughts are to go with a barrel name YOU trust, for whatever reason that may be! Confidence in your product choice is an important thing. What I’m saying is if you spent many, many years using one barrel maker, and on your next barrel change it was changed to another maker, instead of your long-standing trusted brand(without your knowledge), you would likely never give it a thought performance wise. You are correct with Glass....it is in it’s own world completely! No one will dispute to go with the highest tier glass you can afford. Few can afford true top tier glass! I certainly cannot! Even within each tier there are levels. And going further still, our eyes often “SEE” through glass different. So taking two scopes in the same class, people can have drastically different opinions of clarity. Look through as many as you can and choose the highest class you can afford, which is also pleasing for your eye.
    I've been very happy with some vortex scopes I decided to try due to a friend that swears by them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Not sure if you have already purchased your action yet... but if not I would also recommend a aftermarket 700 clone. I have a bighorn Origin and I couldn't be happier with it. It takes savage small shank barrels and everything else is Rem 700 (i had to do a little sanding on my stock for the barrel nut to fit perfect but it only took about 10 minutes). I thought I read that you wanted stainless and the Origin is not stainless... but it is very smooth. It is controlled round feed and you can purchase different bolt heads. The biggest thing I like about it is how smooth the feeding is- When I run my savages fast they seem to bind for just a second- the case head doesn't pop into the bolt face very smooth and I have to slow down for just a second to let it move.... or if I just go with it I have noticed that it often seats the bullet a little deeper. I also like the mechanical ejector... I can drop the brass out really soft or it will fling it across the field depending on how hard I run the bolt. I'm sure there are lots of other actions that have all of these features but this is the only one I have much experience with.

I have some savages that really shoot.... but the more I use a custom action I am looking to move my OEM guns and get another custom.

Basic Member
    To the OP & the commenters, thanks for this post. I really enjoyed reading through it

Luvmy,

Before you start a custom build I would recommend you isolate the target (paper, varmint, medium or large game) and then determine the range (100, 300, 600, 1000, 1500 yards) and then determine the stance (standing offhand/prone bipod/ fixed bench)

What are you trying to do? The ideal offhand hunting rifle is a different animal from the ideal long range target rifle.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I love both of my custom action rifles that I built. One is a Shilen DGR action,and the other is an ARC Nucleus action. A custom action will almost always be better than a factory action in the smoothness that it operates,but that comes with a high price tag. As far as accuracy goes,I can't say that a custom action makes the gun any more accurate. There are far too many variables that fall into play than the action alone. I have several Savage action builds that shoot just as good,and sometimes better than the Custom action's do for a lot less $$$$.

The barrel,trigger and stock/chassis have more to do with accuracy than the action itself.

Barrels are funny though! Two of the best shooting barrels that I've ever owned were made by - Don't Laugh! - E.R.Shaw. Both were 6.5 CM barrels,and shot consistent groups in the .12 -.13 range off a bench with hand loads. I bought several Shaw barrel's on a group buy for cheap,and the worst one- 7mm-08, still shoots 1/2-3/4 moa groups.
    I've got pre-fit barrels from Shaw,Shilen,McGowen,X-Caliber,and higher end cut rifled barrels from Bartlein,Kreiger,Rock Creek. They all shoot good,some clean up easier than other's.

Trigger's - There are many choices for custom trigger's with a custom action,I run Trigger Tech trigger's in mine. You are limited on trigger's for the Savage. I like the Accu-Trigger,and have swapped out the springs in mine to the Target spring. On my older Savage actions I have a few with SSS Competition trigger's,and a few with improved 3 screw trigger's.

Stock/Chassis - Since I shoot LH,I have fewer options when it comes to finding these. With my Savage rifles,I have 4 setting in Choate tactical stocks with the aluminum bedding block,and 4 in Boyd's laminate stocks that are pillar bedded. I use KRG chassis on my custom action rifles,a Whiskey 3 and a modified Bravo.
    Using a good stock/chassis that is properly bedded makes a big difference to the shooter. If you get something that is ergonomically more comfortable to get behind,and the action sets in properly,it will improve your shooting.

Optics can drive you crazy when you are trying to decide on what to get. I buy the best that I can afford. Pick a scope for the job it will serve,I see too many guy's that over scope their guns. You don't need the Hubble telescope to shoot a couple hundred yards,but then again putting a $50 Barska on a 1000 yard rifle doesn't work either.

In the end,If you have the money to build a Custom rifle,Do it. You will always enjoy it. If not,upgrade your current rifle with good component's and more than likely,your groups will show you the difference.

Basic Member
    I have two 1/8 MOA rifles. One is a Savage Long Range Hunter with a Shilen 7x57 barrel but otherwise stock savage parts, and the other is a Bighorn TL3 with a 6.5 PRC Proof Carbon Barrel And a Triggertech Diamond trigger. They are now my 2 favorite guns... go figure accurate guns are fun! You don't need a custom action for accuracy, but it helps with a lot of other aspects.