Thread: Savage Magazine

Basic Member

Question Savage Magazine

Hello everyone, I'm still building my Savage rifle and I'm working on brainstorming a 300 Win Mag, center feed, steel, magazine. Any ideas on a magazine that will hold something like 5+ rounds, the more the merrier. I want to be prepared when I'm hunting,

I'm one of those one shot one kill types, however if something really big, fanges, claws, and harry wants to eat me I want some added firepower to defend myself.

I have the "frame assembly" (floorplate), it's steel, with the steel release in front of the magazine. The stock is being adjusted to fit the "frame assembly" and it's coming along. This old Savage stock has been modified to fit my needs.

If you want more than 3 rounds capacity you'll have to switch to the AICS pattern magazines which means getting the matching bottom metal.

https://accurate-mag.com/shop/bottom...tom-metal-kit/
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    If you want more than 3 rounds capacity you'll have to switch to the AICS pattern magazines which means getting the matching bottom metal.

https://accurate-mag.com/shop/bottom...tom-metal-kit/
    Nope not correct, I've read somewhere that a "factory" bottom metal is used and aftermarket magazines are made to fit in the magazine well, costing much less. I just don't know where and thats why I'm here.

I also read somewhere that a extension magazine is attached directly to a factory magazine however I am having a senior moment and can't find it either.

If that's the case it's news to me, BUT - I've been running this site for almost 18 years now and when a modification like that turns up it's usually posted here in short order. I know some have Bubba'd up a few factory mags and combined them with AR or M1 mag's to get higher capacity for their .223 and .308 rifles, but never seen anything like that for .300 WM mags.

The question you really have to ask yourself is how important is the reliable feeding of rounds from that mag? You mention being worried about something really big, fangs, claws and hairy coming after you as the "need" for a higher capacity mag. If that's the case I sure as hell wouldn't want to put my life in the hands of a Bubba'd magazine concoction just to save a couple bucks. AI mags are proven reliable.

Personally I'd just carry a good .44 Mag or 10mm sidearm for such things, but to each their own.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Are you referring to this? https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sav...dcatid=3424546

I believe you may be confusing centerFIRE & centerFEED. This certainly isn’t any cheaper! Jim is correct though. You want more rounds, you need to switch to AICS. Now you may have come across what he what he was talking about as a “bubba” mag. I saw a 10 round mag for 223 that was a stock 3rd flush metal mag with a plastic extender glued on....NO THANKYOU!!

Basic Member
    OK I'll recant my statements!

Savage is five rounds.

I assumed, read, thought, there was aftermarket magazine, and not Billy Bob's, that attached directly to a Savage factory magazine to double the rounds using new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Walz View Post
    OK I'll recant my statements!

Savage is five rounds.

I assumed, read, thought, there was aftermarket magazine, and not Billy Bob's, that attached directly to a Savage factory magazine to double the rounds using new parts.
    Savage is five rounds? For a 300 Win Mag?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Savage is five rounds? For a 300 Win Mag?
    The models that come factory equipped with an AICS mag are. I.e. the 110 Stealth, 110 Evolution, and 110 FCP HS Precision (the latter may use HS's proprietary mag system, never seen one in person).

Basic Member
    Thanks

1. I found the factory five round 300 Win Mag magazine for the builder.

2. I found aftermarket one here https://www.darkeaglecustom.com/magazines.php

I don't think it's economically feasible to purchase #2 since I can get a factory five.