Thread: Barrel contouring....length shouldnt matter right?

Basic Member

Barrel contouring....length shouldnt matter right?

Do all manufacturers of barrels hold contour specifications as listed in their contour drawings, for the lengths they advertise as available?

for instance, if a contour drawing and chart says muzzle diameter is .675”, and lengths available are 16.5-26”, would the contour be the same for a 17” barrel as it would be for a 26”? Both .675 at the muzzle?

in my case with a shaw barrel, it is not true lol. Ordered a magnum contour prefit in 20” expecting.675 at muzzle. Instead its .740-.750. Havent put calipers on it just quick ruler measurement, looked like 19mm. Its same contour shape as my 223 hog hunter which is closer to .750 at muzzle before the threads.

i’m a little disappointed even tho its only .06-.070” diff, but being a custom machined part that takes 8 weeks to build, you would think contours would be held to spec. Its not gonna kill the build for me but i just like getting what I expected to get

I wouldn't think so. It would look odd with the last 9" of the 26" barrel to have parallel walls running 0.675"

It's up to the barrel manufacturer what profile they use. Some may make them to any length and others cut back from a longer standard "pre-made" profile. The latter will have a larger muzzle the shorter it is cut.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Most contour diagrams indicate the muzzle diameter at a certain barrel length. Often times that length is 24-26 inches unless it’s a super lightweight then it will be round 22”. Most sporting rifle barrels taper somewhere between .010-.018 per inch of length.

Basic Member
    For me I consider the extra thickness “bonus”,however if weight if weight was a consideration at the time it was being built and provisions were made with a thinner barrel in mind that might create problems later,but I’d call this a win personally.

Basic Member
    Weight was somewhat a concern. I honestly wanted something a bit bigger than a factory sporter barrel but less than a predator hunter/hog hunter “light varmint”. So now i have two hog huntersin a sense. I’ll make due lol

i see shilen has a chart based on contour length and you can calc the taper. Mcgowen contours to your specific length. Er shaw doesnt say either way but clearly they do not contour at your requested length lol. Just gotta be careful reading what companies do

Does anyone know what headspace gauge to use on a savage 223 wylde barrel,the 5.56 or the regular 223?
    Thanks Mike

Basic Member
    Boodfrt: 223 Wylde, 5.56, 223 Rem all use the same headspace gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Orr89rocz View Post
    Weight was somewhat a concern. I honestly wanted something a bit bigger than a factory sporter barrel but less than a predator hunter/hog hunter “light varmint”. So now i have two hog huntersin a sense. I’ll make due lol

i see shilen has a chart based on contour length and you can calc the taper. Mcgowen contours to your specific length. Er shaw doesnt say either way but clearly they do not contour at your requested length lol. Just gotta be careful reading what companies do
    Take a look at the "heavy sporter" that Criterion makes... It might be closer to the contour you're looking for. However, I have noticed that anything under the 26" does have a larger profile at the muzzle then what they say it should be... My 25" Varmint barrel was .900 at the muzzle was supposed to be about .825 or so.