Thread: 6.5 creedmoor LRP high pressure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

6.5 creedmoor LRP high pressure

I bought a LRP in 6.5 creedmoor about a year ago and have approximately 300 rounds through it. I have been shooting H4350 with pretty good results but on the high end of the powder charge of 42.1 grains with a 143 ELDX hornady bullet at ~2800fps. I load the round with a .002” jump at a 2.880” COL. Most of the shooting was in the cool months in the 40-50f temp range. I have seen high pressure signs all along, stiff bolt, flat primers, loose primers., etc... I have started backing the load down due to high pressure signs and loose primer pockets with Hornady brass. I am currently at 41.1 grains but am still experiencing high pressure signs , stiff bolt and loose primer pockets with once fired hornady brass strangely getting the same 2800fps. I thought maybe I have carbon in the free ore area so I looked at it with bore scope and it’s not evident.... maybe because I don’t have trained eye??? I rechecked my bullet seating depth with a sharpie and don’t see any change. I thought H4350 was pretty temp insensitive??? I’m not sure what my problem is and am hoping to get some help from you guys. I am soaking the throat with Kroil and going to try scrubbing clean to see if this makes a difference.

My recommendation would be to get some good brass - meaning Lapua. I've had more headaches with various cartridges when using Hornady brass than I'd care to recollect.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Might give Reloader 16 and some other powders a try also.

Basic Member
    I have a 12 LRP 6.5mm Creedmoor that would show high pressure signs with factory ammo, and hand loads at 57,000 psi, 47,000 psi and 37,000 psi.
    Primer pockets were completely worn out after 4 reloads.
    It shot incredibly accurately but it sure was hard on brass and primers.
    I carefully recorded the results, took pictures of the brass with flattened primers and of the primers after they were deprimed along with the loads.
    The key issue for Savage was the factory ammo that was flattened enough that you could see the head stamps were flattened.

After talking with them and sending them the pictures, they had me send back the rifle and bored out the chamber a few thousandths.
    I have actually gotten 25 reloads with Lapua brass and small rifle primers. That could have never happened with the initial factory bored chamber.
    That solved the problem. Even better, it shot just as accurately as ever. I now shoot 57,000 psi loads with the primers still rounded.

I now have over 4,000 rounds through the LRP and it still shoots as accurately as it did when it was new.

I think you and I both got chambers bored out with worn reamers.

Basic Member
    Thanks fellows for the replies.... I guess it’s going to be a tough one to figure out. I think I may call Savage and see what they have to say. I have been cleaning the throat and barrel for about 3 hours this evening with some Kroil and don’t seem to be able to get it completely clean. I’m going to take it to work tomorrow snd look at it with bore scope again and see if I see a difference. Any suggestions for something that works on carbon better than Kroil?

Basic Member
    .002” jump at a 2.880” COL.
    Changing the COL to 2.800" (Hodgdon data) may solve the problem. This would be like adding freebore. Seating the bullet shank deeper into the case does not increase pressure. Test have shown it will lower pressure.

SAAMI maximum COL is 2.825"

Hodgdon max is 41.8 grs, so i would say your running at maximum pressures now. Case life will be about 3 firings. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Many reloaders think getting close to the rifling is a good thing, not always, unless the chamber is cut to the bullets specifications. Many factory rifles will shoot great with bullet jump.