Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Savage sell just a barrel?

Team Savage

Will Savage sell just a barrel?

I haven't called them yet, but I'm wondering if I can order just a barrel direct from Savage.

I've been looking for a newer 7mm-08 barrel for a long time and just can't find one. I nearly bought a donor Axis rifle today just for the barrel, then realized how silly that would be. But I'm getting desperate! LOL

Any of the after market custom barrel makers should be able to set you up. As for savage selling them, I do not know.

Savage will not sell barrel alone, but will sell & install one if rifle is sent to them. If it were me I would buy & install after market.

Banned
    I agree. If you can’t find an aftermarket barrel in 7mm-08, you aren’t looking very much!

Less expensive.. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/954100A & https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eab...8.html%3famp=1

Recommended!! Go to any one of the barrel manufacturers that offer Pre Fit barrels for Savage. McGowan, Shillen, X-Caliber, Criterion, PAC-Nor, etc..to name a few!

Team Savage
    And just about ANY aftermarket barrel will be better than a OEM barrel from Savage. When building, that's the first thing you replace if that says anything.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Banned
    That’s a new one on me. I can think of several things that will increase accuracy potential over replacing the barrel. And I’ve come into contact with several STOCK barrel Savages that were Sub MOA shooters. Of course it’s an objective opinion, and you are welcome to yours. But IMHO, recommending that barrel replacement should be FIRST is simply NOT sound advice. This is of course, given one’s disposable income is a finite source. If money is no object, go mashugana!

I tend to agree with dave. I would think the Stock seems like the week link on most savage riffles in my little humble experiences with them.

Basic Member
    Several years ago, my old Savage 10 FP .308 had shot so many rounds and eroded the chamber enough that I was beginning to see some degradation in accuracy.
    I bought a new barrel from Savage and had them install it because I didn't have the time or the inclination to do it myself and local gunsmiths wanted about $800 and wouldn't promise returning the rifle in less than 8 months.
    I had Savage replace the barrel and upgraded the old 2008 standard 10 FP .308 barrel ($133 for the same barrel quoted by Savage) to a target barrel ($166 also quoted by Savage) and had it fluted for $ 30 more.
    Turns out the new barrel also came suppressor ready for a total cost of $ 196 for the new barrel.

Total cost for barrel and gunsmithing charges including shipping was $427 (shipping and gunsmithing charges were $ 231) and the rifle was returned to me in 30 days.
    They buffed the stock and cleaned up everything to look like new, except for the 6,500 rounds of wear marks on the bolt.

The original barrel was a pretty good shooter to begin with.
    The new barrel out-shot the original barrel on group average by 0.2 inches and is now my most accurate .308.

I was very pleased with their work and the speed of their service.
    If anyone doesn't have the time or the inclination to do it themselves, I would recommend you let Savage do the work.
    They gave me multiple options before I made my final choice and their barrel replacement was top notch.

Basic Member
    OP-

The answer is a resounding NO. They will charge full price for the barrel, charge for the gunsmith to install (even a drop in) and you pay for shipping both ways.

I wanted one to replace my shot out Savage barrel (dead accurate and long lasting BTW) and went with a Shilen replacement for a lot less money. Good barrel but not as accurate as the Savage.

Basic Member
    BTW- Try purchasing a $2.00 replacement trigger spring from Savage and let us know how THAT turns out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    OP-

The answer is a resounding NO. They will charge full price for the barrel, charge for the gunsmith to install (even a drop in) and you pay for shipping both ways.

I wanted one to replace my shot out Savage barrel (dead accurate and long lasting BTW) and went with a Shilen replacement for a lot less money. Good barrel but not as accurate as the Savage.
    That's the first time I have heard a Shilen wasn't more accurate than a factory barrel. Any reason why? I guess you had a really good factory barrel?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    That's the first time I have heard a Shilen wasn't more accurate than a factory barrel. Any reason why? I guess you had a really good factory barrel?
    charlie b:

It was indeed exceptionally accurate and went 8500 rounds before opening up on the target. it is a .223 F/TR with target Accutrigger and my best load for accuracy was nowhere near over loading.

I generally shoot benchrest for groups of five shots. Sunday, with the Shilen barrel, I was consistently 1/2 MOA at 100 yards, with several groups 1/4 MOA and one group (out of a total of 15 groups) that was .114. We will see what this weekend holds for me and I may have to revise my assessment of the Shilen (for me, anyway).

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply. I am hoping the .223 barrel on my Axis goes for just as long (only about 2000rnds now). It is more accurate than I can shoot. 1" 5shot groups at 200yds are not unusual, if I can do my part. If the stars and moon align I can do a bit better. If it ever goes I was going to replace it with a Shilen.

Team Savage
    I leave for a few days and wow!

First of all, I don't want an aftermarket barrel. I want a Savage factory barrel because I want the gun to look like a factory gun. None of the links provided above (thank you by the way) are for barrels with factory lengths and finishes, so I'll pass. If the Numrich barrel was matte blue instead of polished blue, I'd probably go with that.

Interesting about having to send the rifle to Savage. Mine is a hybrid build already, so I'm not sure how that might affect their service. I guess I could call them to see. But first I wanted to see if anyone had been able to simply order a factory barrel. Sounds like the answer is no.

Since I want a factory barrel, I'll either keep looking or I'll just buy an Axis on sale and pull the barrel myself. I nearly did this Sunday when I found a youth model Axis with a 20" 7mm-08 barrel on it. That is exactly what I want - a matte blue 20" 7mm-08 barrel.

I could order one from Shaw (I've done that before in another caliber) but that would cost me as much as the complete Axis youth model rifle. I might as well pull the factory barrel off an Axis, throw on another cheap barrel and give that gun away to someone who needs their first hunting rifle. So that's probably what I'll end up doing.

As for factory barrels and accuracy, every Savage factory barrel I've ever owned has shot sub-MOA for me and the three I own right now are all 3/4 or better. I don't need an aftermarket barrel to get the accuracy I want for a hunting rifle. Savage barrels have always delivered plenty.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Didn't see any sporter profile 7mm-08's there, but I'll keep them in mind. Thanks!

I've never put a barrel on a rifle I've never changed one from a 30 ought 6 to a 223 or anything like that but every Savage I've ever bought shoot lights out I think they got pretty good barrels I think CZ is pretty good barrels

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

Another option. Wilson barrel, 7-08, $270.00 (plus shipping?).
    Call or e-mail John at 415-705-9498 or e-mail john@raggedholebarrels.net
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Another option. Wilson barrel, 7-08, $270.00 (plus shipping?).
    Call or e-mail John at 415-705-9498 or e-mail john@raggedholebarrels.net
    Savage Axis compact has a 20" 7mm-08 barrel and is $299 for the whole gun, which is why I asked the original question.

If you buy another gun for a factory barrel, be aware that their is only a slim chance the roll marks will "clock" in the correct location after headspace is set. Follow post 9 if you want it factory again.

Team Savage
    Understood. So far, every Axis barrel I've put on my model 11 action has timed very close. Two of the four were perfect. The one I have on there now is straight up 12 O'clock, which doesn't bother me. I have two identical actions to choose from, so it's likely it will be close.

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Savage Axis compact has a 20" 7mm-08 barrel and is $299 for the whole gun, which is why I asked the original question.
    If factory barrels fit your needs then a factory barrel is what you want.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Understood. So far, every Axis barrel I've put on my model 11 action has timed very close. Two of the four were perfect. The one I have on there now is straight up 12 O'clock, which doesn't bother me. I have two identical actions to choose from, so it's likely it will be close.
    Even if you get real lucky with the roll mark, an axis barrel is roll marked "Axis" (I have one a 110). It doesn't bother me but if you want a model 11 to look "factory" the the word Axis will be pretty funky.
    I've actually chambered a couple savage barrels a little deeper to hide the factory roll marks in the stock. Because the caliber didnt match the new chamber or the model number didn't match the action.
    I've replaced quite a few barrels with factory take offs and have only had a couple of roll marks index in the way I headspace them (minimum).
    Good luck
    Randy

Team Savage
    Nah, the "Axis" label doesn't matter to me. I just want the factory matte blue finish to match the receiver. It's not a huge deal, but if I'm going to give the rifle to a grandkid someday, I don't want it to look like a hack job and it would be nice if the caliber roll stamp was visible so nobody does anything stupid long after I'm gone, or I do it myself once my memory starts to slip! LOL

I think I'll just buy a youth Axis, rob the barrel and throw an inexpensive .243 barrel on it and give it to a nephew or niece (seeing as I don't have any grandkids yet!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast