Thread: recoil lug problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

recoil lug problems

has members had problems with the recoil lug being symmetrical? nilebartram

There is an issue with stamped recoil lugs not being flat if that is what your asking. Most people purchase a precision ground one.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    In addition to not being flat stated by Robinhood the thickness may vary side to side and top to bottom. The thickness variance often is the cause of barrel action misalignment in a combination with poor barrel/action thread fit.
    This misalignment was often blamed on mis-drilled scope base mounting holes. More often than not replacement of a stamped lug with a ground one will remedy most of the misalignment between scope & bore.
    My .02

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    In addition to not being flat stated by Robinhood the thickness may vary side to side and top to bottom. The thickness variance often is the cause of barrel action misalignment in a combination with poor barrel/action thread fit.
    This misalignment was often blamed on mis-drilled scope base mounting holes. More often than not replacement of a stamped lug with a ground one will remedy most of the misalignment between scope & bore.
    My .02
    It always helps to clean any proud metal off the face of the action and the recoil lug when you are installing a new recoil lug to your savage.

A good while back sharpshooter posted a picture of a process at savage. It showed what I think to be the reason for the proud metal at the barrel action junction where the barrelled action was being straightened with a press at that joint. If you look close to enough actions you will see the flat spots from what I believe to be that process. I wish Fred would repost that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    It always helps to clean any proud metal off the face of the action and the recoil lug when you are installing a new recoil lug to your savage.

A good while back sharpshooter posted a picture of a process at savage. It showed what I think to be the reason for the proud metal at the barrel action junction where the barrelled action was being straightened with a press at that joint. If you look close to enough actions you will see the flat spots from what I believe to be that process. I wish Fred would repost that.
    I like to see that video too. I've always thought that the tooth pattern was knurling of some kind to straighten and work harden the face of the action.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I like to see that video too. I've always thought that the tooth pattern was knurling of some kind to straighten and work harden the face of the action.
    I don't know if I have ever seen a tooth pattern. Do you have a picture?