Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: purchase a 10 stock for 110?

purchase a 10 stock for 110?

I have a 110 tactical hunter in 6.5 creedmoor and im looking to upgrade the stock. Ive confirmed with savage that its a short action and a bass pro/cabelas exclusive. The problem Im having is almost every aftermarket stock I find says the 110 is a long action and the 10 is a short. The few that I do find for a 10 all seem to be for aics magazines and not the blind mag that I have. I cant bring myself to pay for a custom mcmillians stock which costs twice as much as i paid for the gun and I dont want a chassis since it will be mostly for hunting. any suggestions?

since its a bass pro exclusive, this is the one to help clear up any confusion

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sava...t-action-rifle

Banned
    Look at Boyds. They have good prices. But understand, stocks aren’t simply “drop in & go”! May require inletting, bedding and even additional things like bottom metal for some.

What is distance center to center of stock screws, not including the one to the rear of trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    What is distance center to center of stock screws, not including the one to the rear of trigger guard.
    4.4" I measured it with a caliper before I spoke with Savage

Banned
    Yes, I believe we have deduced it is in fact a short action. (I took it he had answered that question on his own). Seems he is looking for help with an affordable stock option that does not use AICS mags.

But just to be absolutely certain....would anyone else like to take a stab on it being a short action? Anyone?? LOL. Reminds me of when you are waiting on an elevator, and someone else comes along and pushes the “UP” button which was already lit from you pushing it to begin with! LOL! J/K

For the OP....perhaps this one: https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-...nd-models.html

If not, I’m sure Stocky’s has something that will suit your needs. Contact them.

4.4" makes it short action centered feed.

Team Savage

I would not recommend the LRT (have one on my 12FV) for a rifle primarily intended for hunting as that stock alone weighs 3.5lbs and fits center feed blind mag only.

Very few options out there for blind magazine guns these days as Savage doesn't make many anymore as everybody wants a drop mag. Most of what you'll find are for older guns (1998-2005-ish) with the 4.275" screw spacing as the bulk of those guns were made with blind staggered feed magazines.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I like a hogue stock myself. $100 on e bay

I looked at the hogue before actually and it looks like it's for a top button bolt release, mine is a bottom button.
    Last edited by Snowmon224; 06-07-2019 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Team Savage
    You can put a bottom bolt release center feed 4.40” Savage SA in a top bolt release SA center feed 4.40” stock. You’ll have a small gap between the action and stock where the stock has the top bolt release inlet. Last year, Savage started calling both LA and SA rifles 110 models which is causing confusion in the market. Since you have a Savage SA, CF in 6.5 CM, any of the older Savage SA, CF stocks (models 10, 11, 12, 14, or 16) will fit your action. However, some of the sporter profile stocks may not accept the heavy profile barrel on the model 10 tactical rifle. Take a look at an inexpensive, discontinued Savage stocks on Numrich Gun Parts. The older Savage SA stocks in hardwood/walnut don’t flex like plastic giving you a solid platform for improved accuracy potential. You can open up the barrel channel with sand paper and dowel rod to float the heavier profile barrel. They are lighter than most of the aftermarket stock. Spray them with Duracoat and Krylon webbing paint and they look like a custom hunting stock costing much more.

Bed the front with epoxy, bed the recoil lug up to the front of the action. Fill rear with silicone to balance. Buy a nice stock cheek bag for adjustable cheek weld. Make sure you have no stock barrel contact. Give it a cool paint job.

Enjoy your sub min 1000yd gun.
    Lets see some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ah I was wondering how I could bed the recoil lug! those pictures help a alot. did you see any improvements and did you do anything with the rear or just the front?

Basic Member
    The Bass Pro link you posted says the 110 Tactical Hunter has a detachable box magazine. The Bass Pro website copy is probably wrong but to be clear, can you verify that your delivered rifle is a blind magazine?

Maybe I'm using the wrong term? There's a few options and I'm new to bolt guns. It's a 4 round mags. Hopefully these pictures work too

url=https://ibb.co/9HmCYqL]
    Last edited by Snowmon224; 06-07-2019 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Pictures

Team Savage

DBM just like the ad says.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmon224 View Post
    ah I was wondering how I could bed the recoil lug! those pictures help a alot. did you see any improvements and did you do anything with the rear or just the front?
    JB Welded the lug. Poured epoxy in the For-end ribbing and put 6oz silicone in the rear stock so it balanced. Use a fine wax for release agent. Yes with a new crown it went from a 1.5moa gun to .6-7 moa gun. Really shows at 500yds shooting 3-4” groups.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    JB Welded the lug. Poured epoxy in the For-end ribbing and put 6oz silicone in the rear stock so it balanced. Use a fine wax for release agent. Yes with a new crown it went from a 1.5moa gun to .6-7 moa gun. Really shows at 500yds shooting 3-4” groups.

Wow awesome! That's what I'm looking for, I've hit .9 moa before but that was once and with match ammo and really focusing. I think I'll try this before I keep looking for a stock. Did you tape the recoil lug at all? I've seen mixed comments on that

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmon224 View Post
    Wow awesome! That's what I'm looking for, I've hit .9 moa before but that was once and with match ammo and really focusing. I think I'll try this before I keep looking for a stock. Did you tape the recoil lug at all? I've seen mixed comments on that
    No. If you look close at that picture I sunk it in that bedding so it was making contact with the back toward the action and the bottom. I actually used bow string wax as the release agent.
    My rifle is a .223 and I’m shooting match ammo myself. A 77gn smk black hills mk262 mod1. A little heavy for 1-9twist barrel. I thought it was my twist rate that had my groups that wide. I wouldn’t believe it. Didn’t listen and did the work in my shop. Let a gun smith cut an inch from the barrel and recrown it. Thought I might need a new 1-7 1-8 twist barrel to make it work. But the 1-9 is fine. I have clean holes in paper to 700yds. The serria match king is a very forgiving bullet at that weight.
    I only have a fixed power 12x scope. The groups might be tighter if I had a 24x rig but on my budget the swfa 12x was the best quality I can afford and justify.
    I shoot off bags or a sled.
    Not sure your barrel contour but I’ve noticed a shorter barrel when they are narrow seem to preform better. Less “whip”.
    Try the serria match king bullet in a factory match load. 140gn smk in the FGMM should have you inside an inch. You can also polish your trigger and trim the spring. Mine is like 2.3# and just a nice crisp break. Not a hair trigger but a solid breath of squeeze. Helped a lot as it would only go 3.6 light factory. My gun smith a x target shooter recommend and tightned the action screws front lug up to 65# and the rear to 25#. I haven’t taken it out of the stock since and don’t plan to because I don’t want to mess up the tune. Bangs steel a long way out when the wind is null.
    Any way good luck.
    Scrub your barrel good and put some lead down the pipe. A seasoned barred preforms so much better. A good 400-800rds down the pipe and it should be a shooter.

I looked at a online picture of your rifle.
    Not sure if it has the aluminum bedding block or not. If it does you can skip the bedding. Maybe skim bed the recoil lug.
    Those stocks definitely need the front of the stock sanded away from the barrel and barrel nut.
    Also take off that picatinny rail and bed the back of it. Mine had .002” of play in the rear with just the front snugged down. You don’t won’t any flex from tightening down both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    I looked at a online picture of your rifle.
    Not sure if it has the aluminum bedding block or not. If it does you can skip the bedding. Maybe skim bed the recoil lug.
    It has nothing, not even pillars. It actually looks exactly the same as yours which is why it was so helpful. None of the other bedding posts I've seen had this style stock

awesome. pillars are easy with a drill bit and a little wooden dial to tap em in. If you bed the front like this snug down the front of the action and let the tang in the back float a bit off the stock.

Stock is just about cured for 24 hours and just finished with the scope base. I was able to fit 4 pieces of paper under it

I probably won't get to shoot for a week or two but back to my original question. This is the stock I'm looking at. It says it's for a 10 but my action will fit and it says it's for detachable magazine and bottom bolt release. Should fit correct? I'm just concerned that it's for aics style magazines and not what I have

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index....tegory_ID=1127

Basic Member
    The link you supplied shows a stock that uses DBM. The action screw spacing is correct. You will need to add DBM to your gun or look for a hunting stock that uses a blind mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast