Thread: New to distance shooting

New to distance shooting

Hi! I’m a north Texas shooting enthusiast and I just bought my first Savage rifle. My background has been focused primarily on handguns, with which I’ve trained extensively at a variety of locations, including Thunder Ranch. My training has also included tactical shotgun and carbine. Glaringly absent from all my training; however, is any training on shooting a rifle, specifically at any kind of distance.

I decided to fill this void by buying a decent rifle and learning as I build it out, likely culminating in some formal training when I’ve finished assembling it.

I’m very left eye dominant. So much so that I must shoot long guns left handed. I have some long guns that could go the distance but they’re all right handed. I decided that if I’m going to do this correctly, I don’t want to be starting with a rifle that’s not perfectly suited to me. As a result of this, I researched various left handed rifles and decided to start this process with a 10 Stealth Evolution in 6.5 Creedmoor that I just bought on Gunbroker.

I’m joining this Savage forum so I can learn from all the posts here and, when I know enough to know what I don’t know, I can start asking newbie questions.

While I’m waiting for the rifle to arrive, my next step is to decide what optic I’m going to put on it. My budget for a scope is probably around $600 - $800 at this point. In my pistol and carbine pursuits I’ve come to love the Vortex stuff, so I’m looking first at a Viper HST. I think that I might be an mrad person instead of a moa person, but I’m still thinking about that.

Anyway, sorry for the long first post and thanks in advance for tolerating my newbie questions.

Welcome to the savage family
    Ackley was right all along

Team Savage
    welcome

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossEyed View Post
    Hi! I’m a north Texas shooting enthusiast and I just bought my first Savage rifle. My background has been focused primarily on handguns, with which I’ve trained extensively at a variety of locations, including Thunder Ranch. My training has also included tactical shotgun and carbine. Glaringly absent from all my training; however, is any training on shooting a rifle, specifically at any kind of distance.

I decided to fill this void by buying a decent rifle and learning as I build it out, likely culminating in some formal training when I’ve finished assembling it.

I’m very left eye dominant. So much so that I must shoot long guns left handed. I have some long guns that could go the distance but they’re all right handed. I decided that if I’m going to do this correctly, I don’t want to be starting with a rifle that’s not perfectly suited to me. As a result of this, I researched various left handed rifles and decided to start this process with a 10 Stealth Evolution in 6.5 Creedmoor that I just bought on Gunbroker.

I’m joining this Savage forum so I can learn from all the posts here and, when I know enough to know what I don’t know, I can start asking newbie questions.

While I’m waiting for the rifle to arrive, my next step is to decide what optic I’m going to put on it. My budget for a scope is probably around $600 - $800 at this point. In my pistol and carbine pursuits I’ve come to love the Vortex stuff, so I’m looking first at a Viper HST. I think that I might be an mrad person instead of a moa person, but I’m still thinking about that.

Anyway, sorry for the long first post and thanks in advance for tolerating my newbie questions.
    Just remember one important thing. "If it was really hard to do, very few could actually do it, let alone do it well".
    As for the right hand guns, I am a lefty, and it actually makes little difference depending upon how you shoot.
    From a bench, even a portable setup, the right side bolt wont be an issue.
    Id suggest using what you have at least as a starting point till you form "your own" opinions.
    Id be setting up some clay birds at 4 or 500 yds and start there.
    Use a milder recoiling gun initially in order to spot your own hits easier.
    I wouldn't advise jumping from 500 to 1000 either, just move the distance out gradually, and not until you've been successful consistently at the closer distances.
    As for the type scope, it really dosent matter much, both types work well.
    It's more important to learn how to dial, regardless of the type scope and type of reticle.
    Don't depend on a scope to make you be what you desire to be.
    Get to the point where you can "guess" the distance to a target, send a shot and correct off the hit for a second round hit without having a special type scope or reticle.
    Again it's not hard, and with practice you will perfect it very quickly.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, Gang!

Basic Member
    So where in North Texas are you located? With that budget you can get a Viper PST Gen II which will get you a MRAD FFP reticle.

Here’s a question for y’all:

Before I rush out and plink down money for a scope for this new rifle, I’m wondering if one of my older scopes might be a good way to start learning. None of my older scopes have any of today’s fancy new features, like illuminated reticles or windage and elevation marks, but I believe there’s value in learning what I can with them and graduating to a newer scope later.

The two two best contenders that I have are both more than 15 years old but they’ve been stored well and look perfect. Which do you think might be a better first scope for the 10 Stealth Evolution:

Leupold Mark IV 3x10 x 45? (I’m guessing on diameter because I can’t find any markings on it)

Tasco Euro Class 3 x 12 x 52

If one of these would be a good starter scope then I could buy some rings, mount it, and start getting acquainted with my new toy.

Basic Member
    Welcome aboard.....I've had great luck with Vortex Gen II PST and Athlon Eres ETR. Both brands make some pretty good stuff for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossEyed View Post
    The two two best contenders that I have are both more than 15 years old but they’ve been stored well and look perfect. Which do you think might be a better first scope for the 10 Stealth Evolution:

Leupold Mark IV 3x10 x 45? (I’m guessing on diameter because I can’t find any markings on it)

Tasco Euro Class 3 x 12 x 52

If one of these would be a good starter scope then I could buy some rings, mount it, and start getting acquainted with my new toy.
    If you're going to be dialing your elevation I would assume that the Leupold would track more consistently and repeatability. If you're looking for an inexpensive option to start, I have a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18 that I got new on clearance for around $100. At one of the long range courses I took it tracked up in intervals to 30MOA at a dead on consistent .27" for the 1/4 MOA adjustments all the way across from 0-30. It held solid for a couple years, with around 600 rounds and a number of major elevation adjustments before the box test isn't as solid as it was before. For something to hold you over until you decide on a different scope, you may consider one.

I picked up two Vortex Diamondback Tacticals (6-24 FFP) in recent months and have liked them as well. They were on eBay new for around $350 each. While the glass is not as good as a Viper, so far they have tracked well and the glass is a bit better than the Bushnell. One is sitting on my 223 FTR, and is enabling very good groupings.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Swfa. Optics

Big cardboard and a place to shoot range often to learn your guns dope will tell you what you need to. Physically go measure how far your dropping out from zero. Then back on the shooting line adjust for drop, shoot and see where the bullets land. If you get good data at 350yds or meters in your case and 600yds you can plug that dope into a chart, it should give you great numbers to 1000yds. Get a scope level. Learn how to shoot with both eyes open, one on the recital and able to see the bubble in the level. Breath and squeeze.

Basic Member
    Assuming the Leupold has knobs you can dial with?
    If not, you can send it to them and they will replace with ones that do, and you will have a top shelf scope.
    You can have just the elevation knob changed, or both windage and elevation.
    I probably have 5 or 6 older Leupold scopes ive sent back for just the elevation knob, as I always hold for windage anyway when hunting.
    I even have a couple old 2.5x8 vx2 that I had changed.
    Main thing is to just go shoot.