Thread: Duds!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Duds!

New Savage 11
    Bought ammo on line and having over 25% dud rate. Literally 13 duds out of 40 bullets.
    Tulammo 150gr .308
    When they shoot, they shoot pretty straight on my home 100yr range, when they shoot that is.
    Is this normal with cheap ammo? Is this you get what you pay for or can the firing pin be adjusted.
    I did a little research and saw people complaining about 1 out of 150 were duds but this is isane.

Try different ammo and see what your success rate is.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewShooter View Post
    New Savage 11
    Bought ammo on line and having over 25% dud rate. Literally 13 duds out of 40 bullets.
    Tulammo 150gr .308
    When they shoot, they shoot pretty straight on my home 100yr range, when they shoot that is.
    Is this normal with cheap ammo? Is this you get what you pay for or can the firing pin be adjusted.
    I did a little research and saw people complaining about 1 out of 150 were duds but this is isane.

TulAmmo is the cheapest of the cheap. The quality control just is not there. I've never had more than 2 or 3% (estimating), but that is unacceptable high. What you are describing is beyond unacceptable. I bet you could fire 1000 rounds of any US manufacturer through that Model 11 without a single misfire. Hope you didn't buy 500 rounds of TulAmmo!

Plus if that is the new bolt design, it just does not seam to hit with the same energy as the old firing pin assembly.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Those use military primers and the are hard. As the man said get some USA Ammo and my bet there won’t be a miss fire.

Basic Member
    Try other ammo to see if you have same problem,if not it's the cheap ammo.If other [good] ammo does not fire,it may be firing pin protrusion.should be .050-.055

Basic Member
    I would consider that a rifle problem and it is unacceptable. It is cheap ammo with harder primers but it should fire ok in your rifle. Did you try firing the ammo a second or third time? As stated before, try some decent ammo.

It may be that you just have some grit inside the bolt that needs to be cleaned out.

Definitely light primer styrikers on those hard primers. Let us know what it does shooting U.S commercial ammunition.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67