Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the cheapest possible Savage .308 with accutrigger?

What is the cheapest possible Savage .308 with accutrigger?

I'm looking for a .308 action with accutrigger for a custom build, but will toss everything else, so I want the cheapest rifle they make. I tried screening at Savage's site, but it did not appear to be working right. Thin barrel, lousy stock, I just want the action and accutrigger. What should I be looking for? Thanks.

D.ID
    Hog hunter.
    Center feed action, standard accutrigger, large bolt handle, top bolt release, standard shank, about $450..................perfect foundation.

Basic Member
    If you aren't beholden to the Series 110 action, you can purchase a Savage Axis 2 in .308 with an accu-trigger for around $350.00.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

D.ID
    Had no clue they were putting the accutrigger in the axis.............really think the parts availability for the 110-11 etc are worth the extra.

BarrelNuts
    I found a Model 10 (very gently used, doesnt even look like a scope was mounted on the action) at a local gun shop for about $350; as long as you don't have to be the first person to put a round through the action I would say go used (who cares if the previous owner broke the barrel in properly if you are tossing it as part of the build) and start scouring local gun shops and pawn shops for a steal.

Wal-Mart package rifles, Model 11/111's, can be had new for around $400, sometimes less when on sale, around here. I saw one before Christmas for $325.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    If you aren't beholden to the Series 110 action, you can purchase a Savage Axis 2 in .308 with an accu-trigger for around $350.00.
    That might work, thanks! I do not yet know the difference between the Axis and 110 action, I'll have to do a search here and figure that out. I thought they did not sell the Axis with the Accutrigger, that's why I did not say anything. Show's what I know! Or don't know, rather! I have a 10FP which I love, wanted to do a custom build, but am obviously not that familiar with the line.

Basic Member
    The Axis II Accu-trigger has a cheap feel to it thinner, I think? IMO pick up the original Axis plain jane for around $277 put a RifleBasix trigger in. If you went the Axis way. The original trigger can be reworked very easily as mentioned throughout the Axis board.

As others mentioned 10/11's come up on sale from large retailers a couple times a year in the same price range $325-400. Making the Axis have very little value. Also caps the used basic models right there as well.

jersurf101
    Picked up my Savage 11 trophy in .308 for 440.00 out the door 2 years ago. I think its a better deal than the hog hunter because of the decent Nikon scope that comes with it. I have killed 2 deer with this rifle and put around 500 rounds through it. I would recommend this package to anybody looking for a deal.

My axis shoots great. The magazine is much cheaper and more flimsy than on my 11. Also try the bolts side by side. IMHO there is no comparison. The 11\10 series is a better and smoother rifle hands down. There are a lot of axis fan boys out there who will disagree. Hold a couple of both and see which feels better to you.
    Last edited by jersurf101; 04-06-2015 at 09:04 AM.

The Hog Hunter isn’t a bad way to go. Also has threaded barrel. All I’ve done is replace the stock and add a scope. Here is mine.

Gary...Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    Hog hunter.
    Center feed action, standard accutrigger, large bolt handle, top bolt release, standard shank, about $450..................perfect foundation.
    Savage Hog Hunter here in Canada at Cabelas $570!!

Ive got a buddy selling a .270 for $300, model 110. I snatched it up! I already have a 111, in 30.06. the deals are out there, the 111 was 200 from a guy at a local store I shop at. He asked me what I was doing, and I told him that I was going rifle shopping after and he says I've got one to sell!! I grabbed it up fast too!

Used would be even better, since all I want is the action with an accutrigger.

I bought all 3 calibers of the hog hunter new for under $335 over about 1/2 a year. Watch grabagun.com & firearmsforsale.com. They just show up cheap & don't last long. If I see a 308 pop up I'll PM you.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain[/FONT][/COLOR]

Basic Member
    It's also worth visiting local gunsmiths to see about damaged guns. I picked up an, admittedly, older non-accutrigger 110 in 30-06 with a broken stock & bent barrel, but perfectly good action for $35 + background.

Quote Originally Posted by robtattoo View Post
    It's also worth visiting local gunsmiths to see about damaged guns. I picked up an, admittedly, older non-accutrigger 110 in 30-06 with a broken stock & bent barrel, but perfectly good action for $35 + background.
    Jeebus. You should've almost felt bad about that steal. Almost. lol

Not Hi-Jacking the thread.

Question: The Savage Axis will make a great donor rifle? All I would want is the action & bottom metal. OPINIONS ????

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Jeebus. You should've almost felt bad about that steal. Almost. lol
    It helps to live in an area with a lot of floods & tornados. Bent, burnt, broken & swamped rifles turn up very frequently round here, from March thru July!
    I only wish I could've got a left hander for that!

Woodbury Outfitters has the Hog Hunter for $399 in 223. Not the best but I thought I'd pass it on.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain[/FONT][/COLOR]

Cheap and quality don't belong in the same sentence. Hog hunter is the way to go for a low cost build. Bought mine haven't looked back once.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Wal-Mart package rifles, Model 11/111's, can be had new for around $400, sometimes less when on sale, around here. I saw one before Christmas for $325.
    I have noticed the 11s have disappeared from my Wally World and all they have in the case now for several months are Axis.

Savage 12 fv at cabelas 419.99

26 in bull barrel

Quote Originally Posted by scott037 View Post
    Savage 12 fv at cabelas 419.99
    Don't count on this ad on the Cabelas website. Passed this info on to a friend who just called our two closest stores, the last confirming that there is not one 12FV at any store in the US. We have had this problem reported here with Cabelas serveral times in the last 3-4 weeks. Wonder how they avoid FTC scrutiny?

Basic Member
    Nice looking rifle!

Basic Member
    Seems Cheaper than Dirt has good pricing these days...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast