Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Model 16 bolt problem

Is the bolt head face clean? Is the ejector plunger working? It should stand proud of the bolt face and move freely when depressed and released. Using a magnifying glass, inspect the extractor for damage. Remove it and look it over well on the side that goes around the rim of the case. If not, get sharpshooter involved.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Agree with Robin. Seems like it’s really pointing at the ejector as the problem. If the case comes back with the bolt, that would say the extractor is doing it’s thing. But if the ejector or spring is weak/damaged, that is exactly the outcome....case just lays dead at the back of the action. We all assumed you already looked the ejector over well. If it’s not that, unfortunately you are at “take it to a gunsmith” time. Once again, something which many of us could fix with a little look-see. But diagnosing a problem via “Interweb” talk becomes very difficult after exhausting the Usual Suspects.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Thanks for posting the video link. I should be able to do that once I get the 9/64th ball. A guy would think that if he replaced the original extractor and ball with a stock ball, spring, and extractor from Savage, he'll prolly eventually experience the same problem over again!?
    When you replaced the ball, did you replace the extractor at the same time? Your earlier statement about it happening again hit home. I had one that only would last 50-100 rounds while others last a 1000. Is this a factory 250 Savage or a rebarrel?
    Robinhood & Dave and Texas10 all have gone down this path as well as most multiple savage owners.
    It's not always trial & error diagnosing these problems.
    1. Usually it is the extractor itself. The .140 ball makes them work better. I always change both first unless other obvious problems are observed.
    2. Always check ejector operation and spring "feel". A weak ejector spring will also cause drops. Without having a comparison "feel" this might be difficult for someone new to the game.
    When in doubt change out the ejector spring. You could change ejector at the same time but some of the factory ejectors have been made wrong lately with the cross pin notch cut too wide and when fully extended the notch actually comes out too far and catches on the bolt head during compression.
    3. Rebarreled and even some new savages have sharp machine edges on the bolt lug abutment and bolt raceways.
    These often create drag & wedding on the case during extraction and are another cause of "dropped" cases. The barrel must be removed to "smooth" out this problem.
    4. There are custom ejector/extractor kits out there for the tough cookies. I believe Gun Shack may have one and SSS may also provide one.
    My own modifications to the extractor ball socket with a dremmel have helped on several "tough cookies" moving the extractor in a couple of thousandth to catch the case rim better. I have also made a couple of custom ejector to aid with that little extra pressure you need on the case when it is at its extreme angle before it clears the reciever. Shorter cases like .223 and even the Creedmoors are the most troublesome. Your 250 Savage would fall in that category.
    5. As Texas10 mentioned, when all else fails remove the ejector and its spring and pick them off the bolt. I built a couple of single shots for my granddaughters in 221 fireball and 223 and removed the ejectors. It sure beats "fishing" them out of the action.
    That's my .02 on the frustrations of extraction/ejection.
    Randy

Basic Member
    I contacted Savage and they are sending me a new extractor,ball and spring. The ejector seems to be working properly. No binding that I can detect.

Basic Member
    Savage sent me a new extractor, 1/8" ball, and a new spring. I installed the new spring and extractor with a 9/64" ball, and everything is working fine now. Thanks for all the help!

Great news and props to MNbogboy for bringing it home.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Good stuff!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Great news and props to MNbogboy for bringing it home.
    I can't take credit, it is teamwork and input from all of us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123