Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hello, just wanted to get started building a Savage and I need some help

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    The actual cocking piece or the sleeve?

Walt. You should just post pictures of the progress, wins and failures. This would be an OK post if you did that.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Walt. You should just post pictures of the progress, wins and failures. This would be an OK post if you did that.
    I don't know about you but I need my two missing pieces!

Everything is going to plan, Numrich, Gunbrokers, Gunshack, Savage Arms, EBay, all had some parts for my project, now I have only two parts left. The stock is curing next week, more work on that.

Now I understand.

Basic Member
    This would be a good place to start.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=savage+barrel+swap

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    This would be a good place to start.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=savage+barrel+swap
    I don't need to swap barrels I've got that covered, I'm way past that stage, I'm now looking for bolt parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Walz View Post

Off the shelf firearms are not you want if you want to excel in the woods. I customize everything from the trigger, down to the nuts and bolts.
    Really? A lot of very successful hunters would be shocked to learn that their factory stock firearms are inadequate. I’m one of them. There is a fairly large selection of factory rifles available that would have done just fine for my needs for the 37 years I’ve been big game hunting and the 59 years I’ve been small game hunting.

While I have made small mods to many of my hunting rifles, those mods have had no perceptible effect on my success in the field. Most were for made for reasons of comfort, such as adding recoil pads or reducing trigger pull weight. All my centerfires wear factory stocks with one exception, a full custom 6.5-06AI built on an Interarms Mark X action. (It wears a Boyd laminate.) Three others wear factory synthetic stocks, one of which was built on a factory action, the other two having started with factory laminate stocks that were replaced for weight reduction. Some, like my Rem M700 .30-06 are still completely stock. I have one Ruger in the original stock that I’ve bedded, just to get the experience.

Since 2000 I’ve taken 14 elk, boatloads of antelope and quite a few deer. (Not a big fan of deer meat so many years, like this one, I didn’t even apply for a deer license.) Over the years I’ve only seen three instances where the rifle in hand made a difference. The first was my hunting buddy’s Ruger MKII 7mm RM. He had been storing it with the bolt in the cocked position for years and one year it failed to fire, costing him a buck mulie. Not so much an equipment failure (might have happened with any make of rifle under the same conditions) as a storage problem. Another was when I took the right rifle but wrong ammo when we left the truck. After the mix-up was discovered I used my hunting buddy’s factory-stock 7mm RM and got my bull elk anyway. The third instance was a matter of using a .44 Mag carbine with iron sights and choosing to pass on a shot at a huge bull elk that was at the limits of my comfort range using that rifle. The Browning carbine was bone stock and I would have passed on the shot regardless of the rifle’s make or model given the cartridge and iron sights.

[Edited to add]
    BTW, if I was choosing a rifle for rugged reliability under all forseeable conditions, it would be a Ruger, not a Savage.

Which is why I have two Savage hunting rifles and a safe full of Ruger M77, MKII and Hawkeye rifles.

Basic Member
    OK,

I just need the two pieces for the project, sorry you can't customize a rifle, and that you can only use a factory shooter.

I guess you only use the factory scope since it's factory, that's pretty sad. plastic Butt plate OK, LOP doesn't matter, 7 pound broken glass trigger pull doesn't matter, all of that is factory and if you change anything its "custom".

So you take a rifle out of the box and hunt with it, that's " stock" and its not a custom hunting firearm, boy thats LAME.

Savage rifles are made out of the box for shooting, however it's just that, no frills, if you want something that is a really nice out of the box Remington 700 where you can purchase many different models to fit your hunting needs, and pay the price. The 700 only needs a Timney trigger replacement to make it a safe rifle in my opion.

I need a thick recoil pad, adjusted trigger to 2 pounds, LOP for me, a stock sealed from the elements, a synthetic stock that's not a cheap POS, a special scope that I can use in my environment, a leather sling that's comfortable not biting into my shoulder, everything to make hunting easier. It's not rocket science, it's a tool that fits my style of hunting.

Of course you can use a factory rifle to hunt if you are going to shoot a animal say 20 feet away where you can't miss and take the shoulder pain while yanking on the trigger. STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES.

My father went on a safari hunt in Africa, used a factory rifle, a stick stand, was taken to a area where the animal was and shot it. Now that is stupid, no fair game hunt, no stalking, no even hunting just slaughter. I'll bet your that kind of hunter. I believe in fair game hunting, if I hunt big game I use a 45-70 custom built Remington Rolling Block that I built, it's a beast that has everything I need to hunt and its fair hunting not spray and pray like you are used to to hunt probably.

I don't care about customized rifles, or factory rifles, I only care about building this one for my needs, if the parts are unavailable I will contact the factory. I don't need anything more, just the parts.

Basic Member
    This dude needs to go. He’s been given a ton of help on this forum with information he could get from 10 seconds on google. Wasting everyone’s time and then has the nerve to bash members? Ban!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    This dude needs to go. He’s been given a ton of help on this forum with information he could get from 10 seconds on google. Wasting everyone’s time and then has the nerve to bash members? Ban!
    See what I mean, I don't need this, I've googled a lot and thats why I'm here. You don't need to be throwing insults at me. All I'm looking for is two parts. The other information was great, then people have to interject B.S. not related to my questions which pisses me off. I'm not trolling, I'm asking questions that are relevant.

If someone makes rude stupid comments I'm not interested.

Sent you a PM Waltz.

Basic Member
    Take a look at the Rifle Basix trigger (Sav-1), good replacement for non-Accutrigger.
    The old 3 screw triggers were horrible.

This kind of comment:
    Now that is stupid, no fair game hunt, no stalking, no even hunting just slaughter. I'll bet your that kind of hunter.
    Then he has feelings:
    See what I mean, I don't need this, I've googled a lot and thats why I'm here. You don't need to be throwing insults at me. All I'm looking for is two parts. The other information was great, then people have to interject B.S. not related to my questions which pisses me off. I'm not trolling, I'm asking questions that are relevant.
    I'm curious to your age. Your communication style is Soldier of Fortune or Social Media.

Basic Member
    Can't seem to find that damn cocking piece.

The Savage Arms is out till the 15th of July

Boy this sucks only one bolt piece that's elusive!

I guess you only use the factory scope since it's factory, that's pretty sad. plastic Butt plate OK, LOP doesn't matter, 7 pound broken glass trigger pull doesn't matter, all of that is factory and if you change anything its "custom". [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jim/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

So you take a rifle out of the box and hunt with it, that's " stock" and its not a custom hunting firearm, boy thats LAME.
    None of the bolt or lever rifles I've ever purchased came with a 7 pound trigger. In fact, none have been in the 5 pound or heavier region. While many (most) of my rifles have minor tweaks, typically trigger work of some kind - whether a simple part polish, full tune or replacement - I have taken rifles out of the box, mounted and zeroed a scope and gone hunting, successfully. So have others I know. That's not 'LAME', it's just what it was - practical. As I said before, the mods I've made to my rifles have had no perceptible effect on my success as a hunter. The primary purpose is to make me more comfortable with and/or to help protect the firearms. Those mods include swapping laminate stocks for synthetic (two rifles), adding a pad (two rifles), tweaking or replacing a trigger (most of my rifles), sealing the barrel channel (several rifles) or bedding the action (one of my rifles but have a full 'smith custom that is also bedded). Most of my bolts have the barrel floated, by me if not by the factory. This doesn't help with hunting accuracy (cold bore and maybe a follow-up shot), but it does help prevent the POI from changing due to changes in temperature or moisture.

I guess in theory if I wipe a rifle down with an oil or silicone rag, mount a scope, add a bipod or a sling it is no longer 'factory stock'.

[quote]...Of course you can use a factory rifle to hunt if you are going to shoot a animal say 20 feet away where you can't miss and take the shoulder pain while yanking on the trigger. STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jim/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

My father went on a safari hunt in Africa, used a factory rifle, a stick stand, was taken to a area where the animal was and shot it. Now that is stupid, no fair game hunt, no stalking, no even hunting just slaughter. I'll bet your that kind of hunter. I believe in fair game hunting, if I hunt big game I use a 45-70 custom built Remington Rolling Block that I built, it's a beast that has everything I need to hunt and its fair hunting not spray and pray like you are used to to hunt probably. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jim/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/IMG]

...[QUOTE]

You obviously have a pretty high opinion of yourself and a huge misconception as to what can be done with factory stock rifles and triggers. I've used factory stock rifles with no changes except to add a scope to take game much further than"20 feet". Like 400+ yards further. Another printed a .5" 4-shot group at 200 yards. I've also used one to shoot clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm.

You clearly are comfortable making erroneous slurs about other people. Congratulations on living in a fantasy world. I hunt both public and private land with family members and friends but there are no guides - we have to find the game ourselves and the pack-out is by back or game dart, depending on where we are. We strive hard for one-shot and down and a second shot is rarely required. When we do take a second shot it is generally to hasten the inevitable and end an animal's suffering. Other times an animal doesn't go down they way you think it would. I once drilled an elk through the lungs with a 335g AccuBond with my .338WM. It simply stopped walking so I drilled it again, putting it down. When we removed the hide there was one oblong hole with an exit. While the first shot created a mortal wound, the second was in accordance with our policy of "shoot until they are down and stay that way, particularly with elk because even a mortally wounded elk can cover a lot of ground. I've taken 14 elk since 2000 and more before that dating back to 1982, plus numerous deer and antelope at ranges out to 487 yards. Most have been one shot and down. No one in my hunting parties over the years has been a "spray and pray" shooter.

FWIW, your slurs say much about you and nothing about me.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Coyote_Hunter;458047]None of the bolt or lever rifles I've ever purchased came with a 7 pound trigger. In fact, none have been in the 5 pound or heavier region. While many (most) of my rifles have minor tweaks, typically trigger work of some kind - whether a simple part polish, full tune or replacement - I have taken rifles out of the box, mounted and zeroed a scope and gone hunting, successfully. So have others I know. That's not 'LAME', it's just what it was - practical. As I said before, the mods I've made to my rifles have had no perceptible effect on my success as a hunter. The primary purpose is to make me more comfortable with and/or to help protect the firearms. Those mods include swapping laminate stocks for synthetic (two rifles), adding a pad (two rifles), tweaking or replacing a trigger (most of my rifles), sealing the barrel channel (several rifles) or bedding the action (one of my rifles but have a full 'smith custom that is also bedded). Most of my bolts have the barrel floated, by me if not by the factory. This doesn't help with hunting accuracy (cold bore and maybe a follow-up shot), but it does help prevent the POI from changing due to changes in temperature or moisture.

I guess in theory if I wipe a rifle down with an oil or silicone rag, mount a scope, add a bipod or a sling it is no longer 'factory stock'.

[quote]...Of course you can use a factory rifle to hunt if you are going to shoot a animal say 20 feet away where you can't miss and take the shoulder pain while yanking on the trigger. STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jim/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

My father went on a safari hunt in Africa, used a factory rifle, a stick stand, was taken to a area where the animal was and shot it. Now that is stupid, no fair game hunt, no stalking, no even hunting just slaughter. I'll bet your that kind of hunter. I believe in fair game hunting, if I hunt big game I use a 45-70 custom built Remington Rolling Block that I built, it's a beast that has everything I need to hunt and its fair hunting not spray and pray like you are used to to hunt probably. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jim/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/IMG]

You obviously have a pretty high opinion of yourself and a huge misconception as to what can be done with factory stock rifles and triggers. I've used factory stock rifles with no changes except to add a scope to take game much further than"20 feet". Like 400+ yards further. Another printed a .5" 4-shot group at 200 yards. I've also used one to shoot clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm.

You clearly are comfortable making erroneous slurs about other people. Congratulations on living in a fantasy world. I hunt both public and private land with family members and friends but there are no guides - we have to find the game ourselves and the pack-out is by back or game dart, depending on where we are. We strive hard for one-shot and down and a second shot is rarely required. When we do take a second shot it is generally to hasten the inevitable and end an animal's suffering. Other times an animal doesn't go down they way you think it would. I once drilled an elk through the lungs with a 335g AccuBond with my .338WM. It simply stopped walking so I drilled it again, putting it down. When we removed the hide there was one oblong hole with an exit. While the first shot created a mortal wound, the second was in accordance with our policy of "shoot until they are down and stay that way, particularly with elk because even a mortally wounded elk can cover a lot of ground. I've taken 14 elk since 2000 and more before that dating back to 1982, plus numerous deer and antelope at ranges out to 487 yards. Most have been one shot and down. No one in my hunting parties over the years has been a "spray and pray" shooter.

FWIW, your slurs say much about you and nothing about me.

Guy with 44 posts, WOW this is a long term member.

B.S. walks, actions talk.

Basic Member
    Getting back to the parts at hand, and no more B.S.

Can't seem to find that damn cocking piece.

The Savage Arms is out till the 15th of July

Boy this sucks only one bolt piece that's elusive!

In this thread, hot takes on gunsmithing and distance shooting are shattered repeatedly, with no impact on the surety of OP that this is gonna be a great build.

I'm worried about safety on this one though, would want to observe the proof firing from a safe distance.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jballou View Post
    In this thread, hot takes on gunsmithing and distance shooting are shattered repeatedly, with no impact on the surety of OP that this is gonna be a great build.

I'm worried about safety on this one though, would want to observe the proof firing from a safe distance.

Do you know what a "go gauge", and a "no go gauge" is? Easy peasy, make sure your barrel is in excellent condition, your receiver is in excellent condition, your gauge is set, and now it's safe to fire.

Mine is getting ready for moose hunting in the woods.

Make your own. Not seen is the thread diameter and pitch. 1/4-28. Can be a through hole. Break edges

Guy with 44 posts, WOW this is a long term member.

B.S. walks, actions talk.
    Says the newcomer guy that joined 2 months ago and 2 months later than I did, as if length of membership or number of posts had any bearing on the truth or experience.

FWIW, I've been a member of other (and much more popular) forums for over 15 years and was posting on shooting and hunting bulletin boards (pre World Wide Web) for well over a decade before that. My first internet hookup was, at the time, a blazing fast 2400 baud modem (that's 2400 bits per second - or about 200 characters per second depending on parity and stop bit configuration - not kilobits or megabits) on a POTS line.

And I've owned and been shooting Savage 110 rifles for over 20 years. The first was bone stock and I used it to take a lot of prairie dogs and coyotes out to 500 yards using a cheap scope. 300 yard shots on prairie dogs were common as beans. Finally shot the barrel out around 4,000 rounds. I was too stupid to realize a stock rifle wasn't any good past 20 feet. (laughing)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Make your own. Not seen is the thread diameter and pitch. 1/4-28. Can be a through hole. Break edges
    Robin, I think it’s the SLEEVE he needs. I actually just read your last post as well. You were wondering the OP’s age, and commented that
    his “communication style is Soldier of Fortune”. Agreed!

There is is a reason I drifted off of this one! It’s to a point I’m waiting for the video cameras to pop out and someone yell, “You’re on Candid Camera!”.

Basic Member
    Found the last parts at Savage Arms, I have to wait for them to open on the 15th to order them, thankfully I have my documents to buy the restricted parts..

Mostly you forum people are helpful, thanks for everything.

The other forum members are just trolls, just looking for a good laugh, trying to stir the pot, egging on turmoil.

I don't know about any of your background, however I think some of you over inflate your selves to look much better than you are.

Savage rifles are somewhat a anomaly, between good and so so. If anyone was really a decent hunter they have more than one rifle in their armory, Savage being the backup, unless you are build one from scratch knowing every part is working correctly, smoothly.

Remington 700 is the number on rifle for hunting, it's expensive, reliable, and a damn good rifle.
    I think the modern Mauser rifle action is another great firearm, I have a 308 I've built from a 1922 action and it kicks ass.
    My father in law used a 30-06 action from 1903A3 for decades, and now I have it. This is one accurate firearm, he really had a great firearm.
    I built a custom 45-70 rolling block Remington ground up and thats a great firearm, stock and forearm are custom made, sling, everything I did. Just to name a few.

I have a lot more in my armory, and you can call me names, think what you want, I don't care, but when the going gets tough, I've got my variety of hunting rifles.

Were not talking about shotguns, however, my armoury favorite is the Remington 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster classic trap, Remington 12 guage 870 super slug, Remington coach double barrel 1900 SXS 16 gauge, Mossberg 20 gauge 185K, to name a few.

I have .22 caliber rifles, Remington 67, Marlin survival, Savage 15B, to name a few.

I won't go into the self defense firearms, or military firearms, handguns, but you get my point, it's well stocked.

So let's close this thread, since I've completed my journey into building the Savage from Scratch, the 110 model is a decent firearm and will do the job. Its really to bad Savage didn't run the same course as Remington, Winchester, in there day they were the best out there, then Savage went cheap and destroyed themselves for decades, the 110 platform is still a good firearm, which brought them back from bankruptcy, and now its a great seller if you want a economic firearm. I only built this one since I really didn't have a good 300 Win Mag, and since I built it I know it's going to be a dependable great hunter. Everything is custom, bolt has been spun to remove the Savage logo, giving it a clean look, the barrel has been turned upside down so all of the writing is inside the stock, it's free of any Savage identification except for its serial number.

So thanks to the forum members for helping me, and giving me some good information.

To the trolls on the forum, get a life, don't be so inflated, trying to impress everyone it doesn't work, and your B.S. just doesn't work.

My background is law enforcement from the 1980's, working in a large department, for ten years, we were the real law enforcement that earned respect with saps, stick batons, .357 plus P ammo 870 shotguns, and no dirt bag survived when we unleashed our fury on them. We were the classic wrecking ball, destroying everything in our path, blood on our boots, and a attitude that was bigger than life. I have saved people from fires, protected myself from harms way, protected my law enforcement family, my attitude is coarse, my skills are defined, and I learned that life can be gone in a instant, a blink of a eye, and I seen it all. I've seen people blown up, burned up, shot, stabbed, run over, you name it. I don't have any more to give, I gave everything I had.

I just hope you see my side of the mirror and understand I don't give a rat's ass what others think about me, I'm content where I'm at and I am still living life to the fullest.

Banned
    Oh GOOD GREIF! Now he’s a formal LEO! It’s like SOMEONE’S life mirrors Mel Gibson in “Mad Max”!

Will it ever end??

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast