Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hello, just wanted to get started building a Savage and I need some help

Basic Member

Yep, if you know what you have and what parts you should buy, Savages are super easy!
    You will love the accuracy that the floating bolthead will give you, even with a factory barrel!

Basic Member
    Contacted Savage and its a: factory built 30-06, center feed, built August 2007, on a cheap ass plastic stock.
    Now it's going to be a: 300 Win Mag, center feed, on a black stain finish wooden stock.

Sling, scope Piccadilly rail, recoil butt pad. Everything is in the workshop for these parts.

I want to build me a bolt that is custom, that will take some time to achieve. I have a guy who will give it a nice finish if it comes to it.

I'm having a bump in the road with the barrel, I'll follow up on it when things are more clear.

Parts are starting to trickle in now.

Banned
    PICCADILLY rail? You want to MAKE a custom bolt??

Oh this keeps getting better & better. I can’t wait to see this! It’ll be the most ill “Original, GANGSTER Number 1“, SON!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    PICCADILLY rail? You want to MAKE a custom bolt??

Oh this keeps getting better & better. I can’t wait to see this! It’ll be the most ill “Original, GANGSTER Number 1“, SON!
    Nothing fancy, just a moose hunting rifle to fit my needs, nothing out of the ordinary, I need one that will hold up to whatever the backwoods throws at me.

Piccadilly rails are excellent for adjusting the scope to eye distance.

The bolt will be tuned up, I like my bolt bodies smooth as glass, just bare buffed steel. The bolt handle will be customized for me, I use sweeping bolts. I want to lap the bolt, receiver to match them up.

I've decided to go with a wooden stock, which will needed to be customized. The stock will be customized for my length of pull, my grip, I'll add some rods for strength to prevent cracking and twisting and a couple of hollow supports for the two receiver mount bolts.

I'm looking for a customized one piece floorplate, the aftermarket ones are *****en, they hold more rounds.

I want to tighten up the headspace, clean up the barrel, depending on the measurements I have other ideas.

Piccadilly

Picadillo

Picatinny

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

.._

Banned
    Robin, I nearly peed my pants laughing when I saw your post just now!! So, is it Piccadilly & Weaverony style bases?

Honestly! What is this?

Basic Member
    I like humor, however not everyone can build a rifle from just a receiver, so I'm adapt to building firearms.

Some of my firearms are all factory original like my Polish AKM and its sister AKMS both are hand built using all original parts, and both are blued just like the factory of that year 1965 and 1970.

Getting back to my builder,I've got the stock where I want it, took all morning but it will be just right for hunting, I've done some mods that are beneficial for me. .

You should see my armory, 50 long guns, 10 handguns, are all in excellent condition. Hunting rifles are very specific, everything about them is for the person using it, I have three sections of the armory; one is hunting, second is military rifles all of them are 100% original, then we have the home defense firearms, which are 90% original factory. Third is my handguns and they are diverse.

Off the shelf firearms are not you want if you want to excel in the woods. I customize everything from the trigger, down to the nuts and bolts.

The Picatinny rail (/ˈpɪkətɪni/ or /ˌpɪkəˈtɪni/), or Pic rail for short, also known as a MIL-STD-1913 rail or STANAG 2324 rail, is a military standard rail interface system that provides a mounting platform for firearm accessories. It was originally used for mounting scopes atop the receivers of larger caliber rifles. Once established, its use expanded to also attaching other accessories, such as: iron sights, tactical lights, laser aiming modules, night vision devices, reflex sights, foregrips, bipods, slings and bayonets.

I have auto correct, its hooked on Ebonics, as long as you know what I'm talking about I do give a rat's ass.

Banned
    Well....I have a Phased Plasma rifle in the 40-Watt range! So...mines’es is DA BESTIST!

Basic Member
    Well....I have a Phased Plasma rifle in the 40-Watt range! So...mines’es is DA BESTIST!
    I have know idea what your taking about.

Basic Member

Getting started. :)

Banned
    Can’t see the pic. “Error showing page”

Basic Member
    Can’t see the pic. “Error showing page”
    Why can't I upload photographs here.

Guess I'll start a page of my own here: Savage rifle builder

Basic Member
    Anyone have any idea where I can find a five round magazine, .300 Win Mag center feed?

Basic Member
    You can't upload pics because this site is running on a low budget, ie, not enough server space to store all the pictures. So, as you have done, the pictures must be posted on another website and then links to the pictures are placed in the thread.

I am sure if the forum 'owner' received a free server upgrade they might consider storing pictures within the forum. There is also the virus and hacking issues associated with storing pictures on a private server.

Your parts gun looks ok so far.

Banned
    What happened to wanting I got a Piccadillio mount?? THATS a WEAVERONI!

(Sorry, couldn’t resist) So far so good it looks.

Basic Member
    this is a great forum for researching builder options, no B.S., no smart ass members, just really good answers.

I've been researching the options regarding the barrel nut screw and I came up with a barrel nut screw that is "smooth" and not that fugly nut that looks cheesy.

Banned
    Problem with the smooth barrel nuts...I haven’t come across any which are nicely machined. So you are stuck with the stock Savage smooth nut if you can’t find any machined. I have found in nearly 2 decades of building firearms, it’s the “little” parts that can make a difference. I have a profound appreciation for precision machined nuts/bolts, and parts like the recoil lug.

Basic Member
    Problem with the smooth barrel nuts...I haven’t come across any which are nicely machined. So you are stuck with the stock Savage smooth nut if you can’t find any machined. I have found in nearly 2 decades of building firearms, it’s the “little” parts that can make a difference. I have a profound appreciation for precision machined nuts/bolts, and parts like the recoil lug.
    Absolutely, even when you have a "hunting rifle" it still needs to be as perfect as you can get. Bailing wire, and bubble gum doesn't cut it, you still have everything nat ass perfect down to the scope mount. :)

That stock turned out interesting. Are we going to see a picture of the finished product with good lighting.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    That stock turned out interesting. Are we going to see a picture of the finished product with good lighting.

Stock turned out weird! Absolutely weird!

I was told it was walnut, when I stained it sealed it thats what it turned out. I know it's sanded, stained, sealed, but its really interesting how the colors came out. I guess I can call it the " bastard child", it is what it is. :)

Basic Member

Smooth barrel nut.

I'm really out of resources on finding a smooth barrel nut, those look much nicer than the ugly nuts they really blend into the barrel.

I thought I found one on eBay, however the seller stated "scratches" on the nut and when I got it it looked like a pipe wrench was used on the nut. What a turd for a seller.

Got any suggestions???

Another note: I located another wood stock, this one turned out really nice, the walnut just darkened up nice and evenly, no spots, ugly marks.
    Another note: I am having a difficult time locating the "cocking piece sleeve" anyone have any ideas ?

If need be, I'll get in touch with the factory, they helped me out before, pretty reasonable, and I'll pick up a five round magazine.

Banned
    Far as the SMOOTH barrel nut, here are both Small & Large shank nuts. Like I had said before, I have never seen these these machined from bar stock. So the factory stock unit is your only choice. Now, if you have the means, you can machine the stock part yourself which will be “better”. And use a MACHINED recoil lug as that is more important imo. Looks like you are out of luck for the cocking piece sleeve. Seems that EVERYONE is out of stock! Savage parts is your only recourse there. Call, start a convo. with the rep and give ‘em a sob story. Maybe they’ll bite!
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1778511674/savage-arms-standard-shank-smooth-barrel-lock-nut-10-110-series-steel

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...-10-110-series

Basic Member
    Far as the SMOOTH barrel nut, here are both Small & Large shank nuts. Like I had said before, I have never seen these these machined from bar stock. So the factory stock unit is your only choice. Now, if you have the means, you can machine the stock part yourself which will be “better”. And use a MACHINED recoil lug as that is more important imo. Looks like you are out of luck for the cocking piece sleeve. Seems that EVERYONE is out of stock! Savage parts is your only recourse there. Call, start a convo. with the rep and give ‘em a sob story. Maybe they’ll bite!
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1778511674/savage-arms-standard-shank-smooth-barrel-lock-nut-10-110-series-steel

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...-10-110-series
    I checked in with Midway and it's a bust. The smooth barrel nut that's chewed up, I received from eBay, I've contemplated turning it and cleaning it up except I'm worried that it might be compromised and unsafe if I take any metal off of it.

I'm going to call the factory next week, for the cocking piece sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Walz View Post
    Are you telling me Savage is a POS, and if so spit it out?
    There are better options depending on what your intentions are.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast