Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, just wanted to get started building a Savage and I need some help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Hello, just wanted to get started building a Savage and I need some help

I have a Savage 111, its basically a receiver, barrel, and the trigger.
    I'm going to custom build this from the ground up and this is not my first rodeo, however it's a Savage and I'm unfamiliar with these rifles. So I'm going to chamber it in a .300 WinMag, new barrel, custom stock, everything.

Can you forum members give me some imput.

Question:
    I'm working on the idea about re-barreling the receiver, the barrel is attached with a nut, is the nut a option if I re-barrel the receiver????
    The custom stock, there's several different configurations they ask for and I'm unsure which specifications I need to get the right one???

MAKE: SAVAGE centerfire

MODEL: 111
    YEAR: 2007
    SERIAL NUMBER: G671231
    CALIBER:
    TRIGGER: Accutrigger
    SCOPE:
    BOLT: TOP BOLT RELEASE

If your magazine does not attach to the action you have a center feed. All long actions are 5.025 screw spacing but the ports can be different depending on how the mag is configured.

The nut is an option. You can go shouldered if you want. The bolt head may need to be changed if it is not already a Magnum. The Firing pin protrusion will need to be reset. The bolt heads are rarely the same and the magnum is 1/16th longer on the lugs than the standard.

Good luck
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If your magazine does not attach to the action you have a center feed. All long actions are 5.025 screw spacing but the ports can be different depending on how the mag is configured.

The nut is an option. You can go shouldered if you want. The bolt head may need to be changed if it is not already a Magnum. The Firing pin protrusion will need to be reset. The bolt heads are rarely the same and the magnum is 1/16th longer on the lugs than the standard.

Good luck
    The receiver doesn't have the bolt, magazine, it's basically stripped. I'm starting from scratch, so it's a blank canvas ready for a build.

Any more ideas I'm all ears. :)

Basic Member
    Can someone tell me where I can locate a barrel with a shoulder so I don't use a barrel nut for this project.

Thanks

Without a nut, barrel will need a gunsmith to fit barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    Without a nut, barrel will need a gunsmith to fit barrel.
    No problem I can get that manufactured. I'll setup the barrel. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Walz View Post
    Can someone tell me where I can locate a barrel with a shoulder so I don't use a barrel nut for this project.

Thanks
    Might give these guys a try...

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    [B][I][U]" We have met the enemy.... and he is us ! "[/U][/I][/B][I] (POGO)[/I]

Walz man has got to do what he's got to do but what you are trying to do with what you have ain't a real good idea.

Hunting at 300-400yds with a .300 mag doesn’t take a gun capable of much. A skinny stock savage barrel works. A Tupperware plastic stock will work. A scope that is fixed on 6x power will work. A walmart 200gn hunting bullet will work.
    Are you trying to build a light weight rifle? Why go through so much work messing with a savage action and trying to re design its already great capability? Sounds like you should just get a custom cut action since money is not an issue. With your name engraved. An a intricate fluted barrel.
    JK JK.
    I can make a walmart savage .300 shoot with a 1200 build.
    Stay humble and build what works. Then show off your groups and trophies if you choose.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Hunting at 300-400yds with a .300 mag doesn’t take a gun capable of much. A skinny stock savage barrel works. A Tupperware plastic stock will work. A scope that is fixed on 6x power will work. A walmart 200gn hunting bullet will work.
    Are you trying to build a light weight rifle? Why go through so much work messing with a savage action and trying to re design its already great capability? Sounds like you should just get a custom cut action since money is not an issue. With your name engraved. An a intricate fluted barrel.
    JK JK.

I can make a walmart savage .300 shoot with a 1200 build.
    Stay humble and build what works. Then show off your groups and trophies if you choose.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Up here where I'm from we don't have any safe queens, our firearms a in the bush getting down and dirty. I'm going with a synthetic stock, probably a used bell carlson which are reasonable. I can get a barrel pretty reasonable, and headspace it or rechamber it.

Still I am interested in your comments, real or smart ass.

.._

Basic Member
    OK so it's a good receiver platform to build from.
    so we have some good ideas.....

So what year is this firearm? I don't care about the serial number on the Internet.
    What do you think of a metal hinged floor plate and trigger guard. I have them on all of my hunting rifles.

Lets start with budget. Then usage and expectations. A budget will tell us what your best options are based on the other 2 parameters. Savages are usually picked because of the nut and the cheap prefits that are available and because anyone who is halfway intelligent can head space one.

I know with your experience you already know this but since we don't know where you are, knowing your type of shooting/hunting does matter. A F-Class barrel and single shot stock will not work for a caribou hunt....

You have an action with no bolt: $145 - 160 for a ready to go bolt.
    You need a barrel: $200 to $500+ for a prefit and $30 for a nut. $450 to $750+ for a shouldered barrel.
    No stock: $150 -$900+

You didn't mention if it has a trigger. A good trigger and hangers may cost you $150 plus. Not included in the price below.

$525+ to build a bottom end rifle and around $1000 to $2000+ for the shiznit. Now, you tell us where you are and we will get you there.

You can get a fine SS savage 300 win mag for $654 + Transfer at Buds.

Or get yourself a Bighorn action. Bighorn TL3 or Origin, those and the cheaper Mausingfield as well as several other actions take savage prefits...for a reason. You can buy several different levels of actions from PTG for less than $1000. Im guessing with your experience this was already ruled out.

Now lets talk about scopes. Do you have one? Mounts? Rings?

As your experience tells you, you have lots of options.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Well I certainly DON’T believe my Savage 10 looks FUGLY! In fact, IMHO it’s among the most attractive rifles I have ever seen! And before this I had a 116 Weather Warrior...all stainless and gray laminate stock. I’d get compliments all the time for it.

Opinions vary I guess.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Well I certainly DON’T believe my Savage 10 looks FUGLY! In fact, IMHO it’s among the most attractive rifles I have ever seen! And before this I had a 116 Weather Warrior...all stainless and gray laminate stock. I’d get compliments all the time for it.

Opinions vary I guess.
    That's not a 111 hunting rifle, wood stock, Apple's and oranges.

Banned
    It’s not??? You mean to tell me my rifle WOULDN'T WORK to hunt with! Confound it, Dagnabbit, CANTEN PECKIN’ SASSAFRAS lied to me!!

Yes, thank you for clarifying. My picture was meant “tongue in cheek”. But if you read my response, I also owned a 116 Weather Warrior, SS & gray laminate stock. It was 30-06 and WAS my hunting rifle, while living in Tucson Arizona. While a 116, the look is IDENTICAL to a 110. FUGLY is not how anyone who saw it would describe it, the many times it was commented on.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It’s not??? You mean to tell me my rifle WOULDN'T WORK to hunt with! Confound it, Dagnabbit, CANTEN PECKIN’ SASSAFRAS lied to me!!

Yes, thank you for clarifying. My picture was meant “tongue in cheek”. But if you read my response, I also owned a 116 Weather Warrior, SS & gray laminate stock. It was 30-06 and WAS my hunting rifle, while living in Tucson Arizona. While a 116, the look is IDENTICAL to a 110. FUGLY is not how anyone who saw it would describe it, the many times it was commented on.
    FUGLY barrel nut.

Dragging it from Timbuktu and back wont be so bad, I'll be happy if it has good target acquisition, no creep, and the .300 win mag is what I wanted. Just another FUGLY red headed step child.

Basic Member
    I like the barrel nut. It's the stubby bolt at the back of the rifle that is a bit less pleasant for me to look at.

But, I have always been a function over form person, so I will keep with the Savages.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I like the barrel nut. It's the stubby bolt at the back of the rifle that is a bit less pleasant for me to look at.

But, I have always been a function over form person, so I will keep with the Savages.
    The savage bolt is OVER engineered, way to many parts. Remington is simple, straightforward, easily disassembled.

Basic Member
    Then why are you using one to build a hunting rifle and not a Remmy?

Basic Member
    Then why are you using one to build a hunting rifle and not a Remmy?
    I MUST BE CRAZY!

My armory:
    Hunting:
    I have several Remington firearms, 870 12 Gauge Shotgun, riot and a true Wingmaster for duck hunting X 2, hunting rifle 30-06 X 2, WWI, WWII rifle, a Mouser 308 custom builder, Winchester lever 30-30 from 1952, numerous .22 rifles all USA made before 1950's. Remington Rolling block custom built 45-70 a great safari rifle. These are some of my working firearms not safe queens, however they are in excellent condition.

Military
    WWI, WWII I have around ten rifles, post WWII I have around 16 rifles. All of these are various calibers, all of them are original no modifications.

Defense
    Self defense firearms are long guns, Polish AKM, Polish AKMS, both original, two AR15 Rock River Arms both are original species, no mods, I have a original Yugoslavia SKS, all of my rifles that have factory "bayonets" lugs actually have the bayonets with them.

Handguns
    I have a dozen handguns, Ruger, Glock, Smith Wesson, Dan Wesson, Colt, military handguns, I've got them.

So having a Savage .300 for hunting, kinda of a "beater with a heater" (defined as a ugly car that will get you to work and back) will be great for my hunting needs, a no frills hunting rifle, accurate, excellent trigger pull, and a bastard child. LOL :)

Banned
    Aww SNAP!! You got them evil, BAYO LUGS that are only good for killing?? Don't those make guns even more deadlier-ist & super duper, extra illegal in Commi-fornia??

You think the Savage bolt has too many parts and is NOT easy to disassemble? Maybe I’m doing it wrong, because I have found them to be ridiculously simple to disassemble, modify, etc. And I only have one arm/hand to use, soooo....

Basic Member
    So you WANT an ugly rifle.

I used to have a bunch of guns as well. Then found I wasn't shooting them much so figured I'd give them a better home. I'm the type that likes to use a few firearms a lot rather than a lot of firearms a little.

Basic Member
    I'm really pleased with my collection, if shit hits the fan I'm ready to go, with two additional "ammo" safes I think I'm ready for anything.

You can lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way. I prefer to beat my own drum and stay away from other people, they can be dangerous.

Banned
    So you WANT an ugly rifle.

I used to have a bunch of guns as well. Then found I wasn't shooting them much so figured I'd give them a better home. I'm the type that likes to use a few firearms a lot rather than a lot of firearms a little.
    Charlie, I couldn’t agree more! Never was a collector, but started a love affair with firearms from age 18. By my late 20’s I had amassed
    quite a number of pistols & rifles. During this time I hit a wall in which I could no longer just buy a new firearm. So when a new gun tickled my fancy, I had to sell already owned. Luckily this didn’t go on long. I gained the wisdom that I was unable to feed all the different calibers I owned. And knowing I was not a collector, it became easy to whittle my supply down to my favorites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast