Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello, just wanted to get started building a Savage and I need some help

Basic Member

Hello, just wanted to get started building a Savage and I need some help

I have a Savage 111, its basically a receiver, barrel, and the trigger.
    I'm going to custom build this from the ground up and this is not my first rodeo, however it's a Savage and I'm unfamiliar with these rifles. So I'm going to chamber it in a .300 WinMag, new barrel, custom stock, everything.

Can you forum members give me some imput.

Question:
    I'm working on the idea about re-barreling the receiver, the barrel is attached with a nut, is the nut a option if I re-barrel the receiver????
    The custom stock, there's several different configurations they ask for and I'm unsure which specifications I need to get the right one???

MAKE: SAVAGE centerfire

MODEL: 111
    YEAR: 2007
    SERIAL NUMBER: G671231
    CALIBER:
    TRIGGER: Accutrigger
    SCOPE:
    BOLT: TOP BOLT RELEASE

If your magazine does not attach to the action you have a center feed. All long actions are 5.025 screw spacing but the ports can be different depending on how the mag is configured.

The nut is an option. You can go shouldered if you want. The bolt head may need to be changed if it is not already a Magnum. The Firing pin protrusion will need to be reset. The bolt heads are rarely the same and the magnum is 1/16th longer on the lugs than the standard.

Good luck
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If your magazine does not attach to the action you have a center feed. All long actions are 5.025 screw spacing but the ports can be different depending on how the mag is configured.

The nut is an option. You can go shouldered if you want. The bolt head may need to be changed if it is not already a Magnum. The Firing pin protrusion will need to be reset. The bolt heads are rarely the same and the magnum is 1/16th longer on the lugs than the standard.

Good luck
    The receiver doesn't have the bolt, magazine, it's basically stripped. I'm starting from scratch, so it's a blank canvas ready for a build.

Any more ideas I'm all ears. :)

Basic Member
    Can someone tell me where I can locate a barrel with a shoulder so I don't use a barrel nut for this project.

Thanks

Without a nut, barrel will need a gunsmith to fit barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    Without a nut, barrel will need a gunsmith to fit barrel.
    No problem I can get that manufactured. I'll setup the barrel. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Walz View Post
    Can someone tell me where I can locate a barrel with a shoulder so I don't use a barrel nut for this project.

Thanks
    Might give these guys a try...

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    [B][I][U]" We have met the enemy.... and he is us ! "[/U][/I][/B][I] (POGO)[/I]

Walz man has got to do what he's got to do but what you are trying to do with what you have ain't a real good idea.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Walz man has got to do what he's got to do but what you are trying to do with what you have ain't a real good idea.
    Are you telling me Savage is a POS, and if so spit it out?

Team Savage
    The beauty of the Savage is the barrel nut. Makes barrel change easy and rules out the expensive machining. By using a shoulder rather than the nut, you negate the DIY of Savage.

Banned
    Not what he is saying. But starting with ONLY an action, and if you want a shouldered barrel, you are looking at quite a bit of gunsmithing. It doesn’t sound like you can do the gunsmithing yourself, otherwise you’d know this already. The barrel isn’t something you can have made and just put it in & headspace the way we do using the barrel nut. It will require a gunsmith from start to finish. BUT...., before you can do the barrel you must have a bolt already fit to the action. Now this you can do yourself as bolts need only minor fitting to the lugs. And you will need the internals of the bolt....firing pin, ejector/extractor and the springs & such. You are looking at a bit of an expense is all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Not what he is saying. But starting with ONLY an action, and if you want a shouldered barrel, you are looking at quite a bit of gunsmithing. It doesn’t sound like you can do the gunsmithing yourself, otherwise you’d know this already. The barrel isn’t something you can have made and just put it in & headspace the way we do using the barrel nut. It will require a gunsmith from start to finish. BUT...., before you can do the barrel you must have a bolt already fit to the action. Now this you can do yourself as bolts need only minor fitting to the lugs. And you will need the internals of the bolt....firing pin, ejector/extractor and the springs & such. You are looking at a bit of an expense is all.

I don't know anything about Savage rifles, where I'm from I don't see much of them. I work a lot on Remington, Winchester, Colt, Ruger, etc.

Thats why I'm asking about Savage rifles, to learn from input here and if the barrel nut is required so be it.

I thought the barrel nut was a option since all my 50+ rifles in my armory are standard barrels, none are Savage. I've fitted a lot of barrels to actions so I'm used to the long involved process.

OK, so what's the best hunting Savage barrel for the 111 action using the nut, with a .300 Win Mag chamber??

I'm not going to get my feelings hurt just spit it out and let me know I'm here for imput.

Team Savage

Scroll down to Firearms Related Board and click on Aftermarket Barrels. At the very top of that forum is a sticky topic listing all pre-fit barrel suppliers. Best hunting barrel? The one that fits your budget and intended use, none of which we know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Scroll down to Firearms Related Board and click on Aftermarket Barrels. At the very top of that forum is a sticky topic listing all pre-fit barrel suppliers. Best hunting barrel? The one that fits your budget and intended use, none of which we know.
    Hunting with a 300 Win Mag, Moose, $$$$$ is irrelevant, just brainstorming the idea on which one is best for hunting 300-400 yards. I have other rifles, .308, 45-70, 30-06, 12 gauge, 16 gauge, .300 AAC, 300 Win Mag, .22 long, etc.

Banned
    I understand what you are saying walz. I’m just saying there are some things a gunsmith knows regardless of manufacturer. ANY rifle action with female threads will accept the traditional shouldered barrel. An action or receiver with male threads is a more modern design, used for ease of barrel change. The AR15 is the most notable small arms I can think of which has used, without modification btw, for 55+ years. And this platform has used it to an EXTREME level of success!

The company Bugholes has been extremely creative! They designed a proprietary barrel nut for many different manufacturers besides Savage & Remington. So now, others with Tikka, Howa to Ruger, Mausinfield & even custom actions can take advantage of the barrel nut system! This, and they not only offer great barrels like Kreiger, Proof Research & Rock Creek...but they also offer the the two TOP SHELF manufacturers Bartlien & Brux!

For us Savage nuts, they also allow us to use our small shanks with up to 1.25” Breech barrels. So having those like the M24 & very popular Palma profiles are now doable for us.

I believe using a barrel nut system can give equal accuracy potential as traditional shoulder barrels. So I’m guessing it’s the look you don’t like?

Basic Member
    Sounds like you already have it well in hand, Walz. Just need to open up a can of "get'r done".

You might also consider editing your original post and remove the serial number reference. It's an internet thang.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Hunting at 300-400yds with a .300 mag doesn’t take a gun capable of much. A skinny stock savage barrel works. A Tupperware plastic stock will work. A scope that is fixed on 6x power will work. A walmart 200gn hunting bullet will work.
    Are you trying to build a light weight rifle? Why go through so much work messing with a savage action and trying to re design its already great capability? Sounds like you should just get a custom cut action since money is not an issue. With your name engraved. An a intricate fluted barrel.
    JK JK.
    I can make a walmart savage .300 shoot with a 1200 build.
    Stay humble and build what works. Then show off your groups and trophies if you choose.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Hunting at 300-400yds with a .300 mag doesn’t take a gun capable of much. A skinny stock savage barrel works. A Tupperware plastic stock will work. A scope that is fixed on 6x power will work. A walmart 200gn hunting bullet will work.
    Are you trying to build a light weight rifle? Why go through so much work messing with a savage action and trying to re design its already great capability? Sounds like you should just get a custom cut action since money is not an issue. With your name engraved. An a intricate fluted barrel.
    JK JK.

I can make a walmart savage .300 shoot with a 1200 build.
    Stay humble and build what works. Then show off your groups and trophies if you choose.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Up here where I'm from we don't have any safe queens, our firearms a in the bush getting down and dirty. I'm going with a synthetic stock, probably a used bell carlson which are reasonable. I can get a barrel pretty reasonable, and headspace it or rechamber it.

Still I am interested in your comments, real or smart ass.

.._

Basic Member
    OK so it's a good receiver platform to build from.
    so we have some good ideas.....

So what year is this firearm? I don't care about the serial number on the Internet.
    What do you think of a metal hinged floor plate and trigger guard. I have them on all of my hunting rifles.

Lets start with budget. Then usage and expectations. A budget will tell us what your best options are based on the other 2 parameters. Savages are usually picked because of the nut and the cheap prefits that are available and because anyone who is halfway intelligent can head space one.

I know with your experience you already know this but since we don't know where you are, knowing your type of shooting/hunting does matter. A F-Class barrel and single shot stock will not work for a caribou hunt....

You have an action with no bolt: $145 - 160 for a ready to go bolt.
    You need a barrel: $200 to $500+ for a prefit and $30 for a nut. $450 to $750+ for a shouldered barrel.
    No stock: $150 -$900+

You didn't mention if it has a trigger. A good trigger and hangers may cost you $150 plus. Not included in the price below.

$525+ to build a bottom end rifle and around $1000 to $2000+ for the shiznit. Now, you tell us where you are and we will get you there.

You can get a fine SS savage 300 win mag for $654 + Transfer at Buds.

Or get yourself a Bighorn action. Bighorn TL3 or Origin, those and the cheaper Mausingfield as well as several other actions take savage prefits...for a reason. You can buy several different levels of actions from PTG for less than $1000. Im guessing with your experience this was already ruled out.

Now lets talk about scopes. Do you have one? Mounts? Rings?

As your experience tells you, you have lots of options.

Basic Member
    Lets start with budget. Then usage and expectations. A budget will tell us what your best options are based on the other 2 parameters. Savages are usually picked because of the nut and the cheap prefits that are available and because anyone who is halfway intelligent can head space one.

I know with your experience you already know this but since we don't know where you are, knowing your type of shooting/hunting does matter. A F-Class barrel and single shot stock will not work for a caribou hunt....

You have an action with no bolt: $145 - 160 for a ready to go bolt.
    You need a barrel: $200 to $500 for a prefit and $30 for a nut. $450 to $750 for a shouldered barrel.
    No stock: $150 -$900

You didn't mention if it has a trigger. A good trigger and hangers may cost you $150 plus. Not included in the price below.

$525 for a bottom end rifle and around $1000 to $2000 for the shiznit. Now, you tell us where you are and we will get you there.

You can get a fine SS savage 300 win mag for $654 + Transfer at Buds.

You can buy several different levels of actions from PTG for less than $1000.

Or get yourself a Bighorn action. Bighorn TL3 or Origin, those and the cheaper Mausingfield as well as several other actions take savage prefits...for a reason.

Now lets talk about scopes. Do you have one.

As your experience tells you, you have lots of options.

Really excellent ideas. I have a barrel 30-06 that's with the receiver, however it's not in good shape.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Walz View Post
    Really excellent ideas. I have a barrel 30-06 that's with the receiver, however it's not in good shape.

Thanks
    Not much to work with WALZ

Basic Member
    Not much to work with WALZ
    I'm fine, wait until I'm finished, this is going to be a awesome build. I never liked the factory from this era, old iron is my deal and this build won't be different. I don't purchase new stuff, I can build this using used parts and it will turn out awesome.

Wasn't trying to be insulting. I asked a lot of questions and moved on to a 30-06 barrel that sounds like its not what you want. There is no doubt in my mind it will be an awesome build.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast