Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hello, just wanted to get started building a Savage and I need some help

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    There are better options depending on what your intentions are.
    I just need a; accurate, high power factory ammo, .300 Win Mag, hunting firearm, nothing great, a sealed walnut stock with a flat walnut finish, not a safe queen, just a good shooter, safe, and reliable.

Savage has everything I need, it may a bit FUGLY with the barrel nut, the bolt setup is a bit goofy, but it will do the job.

Banned
    Well I certainly DON’T believe my Savage 10 looks FUGLY! In fact, IMHO it’s among the most attractive rifles I have ever seen! And before this I had a 116 Weather Warrior...all stainless and gray laminate stock. I’d get compliments all the time for it.

Opinions vary I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Walz View Post

Getting started. :)
    You got one of the older savage triggers with wire spring. Look up the piano wire mod and you will be pleased with the results.

Basic Member
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Well I certainly DON’T believe my Savage 10 looks FUGLY! In fact, IMHO it’s among the most attractive rifles I have ever seen! And before this I had a 116 Weather Warrior...all stainless and gray laminate stock. I’d get compliments all the time for it.

Opinions vary I guess.
    That's not a 111 hunting rifle, wood stock, Apple's and oranges.

Banned
    It’s not??? You mean to tell me my rifle WOULDN'T WORK to hunt with! Confound it, Dagnabbit, CANTEN PECKIN’ SASSAFRAS lied to me!!

Yes, thank you for clarifying. My picture was meant “tongue in cheek”. But if you read my response, I also owned a 116 Weather Warrior, SS & gray laminate stock. It was 30-06 and WAS my hunting rifle, while living in Tucson Arizona. While a 116, the look is IDENTICAL to a 110. FUGLY is not how anyone who saw it would describe it, the many times it was commented on.

Basic Member
    It’s not??? You mean to tell me my rifle WOULDN'T WORK to hunt with! Confound it, Dagnabbit, CANTEN PECKIN’ SASSAFRAS lied to me!!

Yes, thank you for clarifying. My picture was meant “tongue in cheek”. But if you read my response, I also owned a 116 Weather Warrior, SS & gray laminate stock. It was 30-06 and WAS my hunting rifle, while living in Tucson Arizona. While a 116, the look is IDENTICAL to a 110. FUGLY is not how anyone who saw it would describe it, the many times it was commented on.
    FUGLY barrel nut.

Dragging it from Timbuktu and back wont be so bad, I'll be happy if it has good target acquisition, no creep, and the .300 win mag is what I wanted. Just another FUGLY red headed step child.

Basic Member
    I like the barrel nut. It's the stubby bolt at the back of the rifle that is a bit less pleasant for me to look at.

But, I have always been a function over form person, so I will keep with the Savages.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I like the barrel nut. It's the stubby bolt at the back of the rifle that is a bit less pleasant for me to look at.

But, I have always been a function over form person, so I will keep with the Savages.
    The savage bolt is OVER engineered, way to many parts. Remington is simple, straightforward, easily disassembled.

Basic Member
    Then why are you using one to build a hunting rifle and not a Remmy?

Basic Member
    Then why are you using one to build a hunting rifle and not a Remmy?
    I MUST BE CRAZY!

My armory:
    Hunting:
    I have several Remington firearms, 870 12 Gauge Shotgun, riot and a true Wingmaster for duck hunting X 2, hunting rifle 30-06 X 2, WWI, WWII rifle, a Mouser 308 custom builder, Winchester lever 30-30 from 1952, numerous .22 rifles all USA made before 1950's. Remington Rolling block custom built 45-70 a great safari rifle. These are some of my working firearms not safe queens, however they are in excellent condition.

Military
    WWI, WWII I have around ten rifles, post WWII I have around 16 rifles. All of these are various calibers, all of them are original no modifications.

Defense
    Self defense firearms are long guns, Polish AKM, Polish AKMS, both original, two AR15 Rock River Arms both are original species, no mods, I have a original Yugoslavia SKS, all of my rifles that have factory "bayonets" lugs actually have the bayonets with them.

Handguns
    I have a dozen handguns, Ruger, Glock, Smith Wesson, Dan Wesson, Colt, military handguns, I've got them.

So having a Savage .300 for hunting, kinda of a "beater with a heater" (defined as a ugly car that will get you to work and back) will be great for my hunting needs, a no frills hunting rifle, accurate, excellent trigger pull, and a bastard child. LOL :)

Banned
    Aww SNAP!! You got them evil, BAYO LUGS that are only good for killing?? Don't those make guns even more deadlier-ist & super duper, extra illegal in Commi-fornia??

You think the Savage bolt has too many parts and is NOT easy to disassemble? Maybe I’m doing it wrong, because I have found them to be ridiculously simple to disassemble, modify, etc. And I only have one arm/hand to use, soooo....

Basic Member
    So you WANT an ugly rifle.

I used to have a bunch of guns as well. Then found I wasn't shooting them much so figured I'd give them a better home. I'm the type that likes to use a few firearms a lot rather than a lot of firearms a little.

Basic Member
    I'm really pleased with my collection, if shit hits the fan I'm ready to go, with two additional "ammo" safes I think I'm ready for anything.

You can lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way. I prefer to beat my own drum and stay away from other people, they can be dangerous.

Banned
    So you WANT an ugly rifle.

I used to have a bunch of guns as well. Then found I wasn't shooting them much so figured I'd give them a better home. I'm the type that likes to use a few firearms a lot rather than a lot of firearms a little.
    Charlie, I couldn’t agree more! Never was a collector, but started a love affair with firearms from age 18. By my late 20’s I had amassed
    quite a number of pistols & rifles. During this time I hit a wall in which I could no longer just buy a new firearm. So when a new gun tickled my fancy, I had to sell already owned. Luckily this didn’t go on long. I gained the wisdom that I was unable to feed all the different calibers I owned. And knowing I was not a collector, it became easy to whittle my supply down to my favorites.

Basic Member
    Charlie, I couldn’t agree more! Never was a collector, but started a love affair with firearms from age 18. By my late 20’s I had amassed
    quite a number of pistols & rifles. During this time I hit a wall in which I could no longer just buy a new firearm. So when a new gun tickled my fancy, I had to sell already owned. Luckily this didn’t go on long. I gained the wisdom that I was unable to feed all the different calibers I owned. And knowing I was not a collector, it became easy to whittle my supply down to my favorites.
    Reason for my theory and others who have "experience" with firearms and ammunition .

Actually, it's really important to have different caliber firearms, the reason is this; having say .300WM ammo goes dry everywhere, then you have another option say .308 to stock up on. If you have a .223 then you can buy bulk, and if that goes dry, you can stock up on bulk 7.62X39.

I have two Polish AKM, and AKMS, I built all "factory" original no "B.S. mods", both blued like the factory did in the 1960's, which is a smooth, efficient "killing" firearm, semi auto rifle, with it's bayonets, it can spit rounds out all day long without any issues. If anything happens that's the one I'm using in a defense suitation, not my AR-15 that also has it's bayonet, it definitely packs a punch.

I have to admit I really like my Yugoslavia SKS M59/66 or, Preduzece 44 M59 its a great firearm.

Same goes for handguns, .357, 9MM, 45ACP, 7.62X25, and so on.

Again, these aren't collected for show, they are for two basic needs: DEFENSE and HUNTING. A little long winded, however you can either be a victim or a survivor, a lamb who thinks they are protected by the laws, or prepared, on the defensive ready for everything that comes our way.

Banned
    Yes, well I’m certainly not a victim or lamb, but I already know what many choose not to. Because of this I’m not worried about(or HOPING for), some “Mad Max” wasteland future where having a bunch of guns & ammo is going to assure my survival. And what people fail to grasp with that ridiculous notion is any future like that would necessitate you being on the constant move to survive. And how some people think they are going to travel with dozens of firearms & hundreds of lbs. of ammo is far beyond me.

No, I rather listen for what The Spirit is guiding me. Because my life is in God’s hand, I know He has a plan for me. Other than that, I’ll enjoy my few firearms, reloading, knifemaking & machining. LOL!

Basic Member
    Yes, well I’m certainly not a victim or lamb, but I already know what many choose not to. Because of this I’m not worried about(or HOPING for), some “Mad Max” wasteland future where having a bunch of guns & ammo is going to assure my survival. And what people fail to grasp with that ridiculous notion is any future like that would necessitate you being on the constant move to survive. And how some people think they are going to travel with dozens of firearms & hundreds of lbs. of ammo is far beyond me.

No, I rather listen for what The Spirit is guiding me. Because my life is in God’s hand, I know He has a plan for me. Other than that, I’ll enjoy my few firearms, reloading, knifemaking & machining. LOL!

First, no Mad Max, were somewhat safe in the woods, if the U.S. should have a "catastrophe" suitation it's better to be safe than SOL. As f me, I can get everything I need when it comes to food without a grocery store in a "catastrophe" it's not want I want, but I can see the "self destruction" of the U.S., the political members in Washington can't wipe their own ass.

California is a clear example of a Nazi state, allowing immigrants to flood in and give out free food, housing, money. Removing firearm rights every day from the citizens, sucking the second amendment dry.

As for your "beliefs"your a deer in headlights waiting for the inevitable, nothing good comes from the lies they tell you, teach you from your book, just brainwashing and taking your hard earned money then spit you out when you have nothing else to give.

Because my life is in God’s hand, I know He has a plan for me.
    Sounds like a great plan to me Dave.

The savage bolt is OVER engineered, way to many parts. Remington is simple, straightforward, easily disassembled
    Wait a minute Walz. Are you telling your Savage is a POS, and if so spit it out?

Basic Member
    I am also not a SHTF type. I have what I need for 'normal' predators and CCW.

Deer in headlights? LOL 20yrs in the Army (tanks), another 20 in defense contracting. Yep, the government will continue to expand and rights will continue to go away. But, either this gov't or an international one will continue to rule. No amount of personal arsenal is going to change anything.

Basic Member
    Can of worms!

I am not the only one who takes stock in being prepared, so I'm not all that different than other folks out there. If you are were military then you know the "real" truth. If you have been away from the military for so long, and you believe the news, media, then you are doomed. If you live in the "real woods", you have freedom to have preparations, freedom from the city mentality.

Savage rifle build, yes bolt over engendered. POS not really, parts difficult to locate, yes.

It's a ugly rifle, but it will do the job.

Can of worms!

Basic Member
    Still, it needs more work, the Walnut stain, sealer, filler are done.

Basic Member
    And the bolt looks spiffy now.

Basic Member
    I still haven't found the last parts for the bolt, the "cocking piece" another factory order i guess.

The stock is going to need a recoil pad, some protective permanent coat on the stock.

The receiver, nut barrel, has some work to be done.

Banned
    The actual cocking piece or the sleeve?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast