Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hello, just wanted to get started building a Savage and I need some help

Would it be too "trollish" if I ask what you wash your cape in?

Quote Originally Posted by Walz View Post
    Found the last parts at Savage Arms, I have to wait for them to open on the 15th to order them, thankfully I have my documents to buy the restricted parts..

Mostly you forum people are helpful, thanks for everything.

The other forum members are just trolls, just looking for a good laugh, trying to stir the pot, egging on turmoil.

I don't know about any of your background, however I think some of you over inflate your selves to look much better than you are.

Have you looked in a mirror lately? You have made slurs against others with no evidence whatsoever to back up your claims. That is classic troll behavior. Congratulations.

Savage rifles are somewhat a anomaly, between good and so so. If anyone was really a decent hunter they have more than one rifle in their armory, Savage being the backup, unless you are build one from scratch knowing every part is working correctly, smoothly.
    I guess that depends on your perspective. Middle Daughter was being kind when she called my first Savage, a .22-250 110E, "homely". It was a gift from Dad, acquired with about 1500 rounds through the barrel. Still, it would print a 5 round group at a hundred that you could cover with a dime. It had at least 4000 rounds down the barrel before the barrel went, with nary a mechanical problem. You don't need to build one from scratch to know whether it is working "correctly, smoothly". Gave a Savage center-feed .30-06 to SIL #1 as a wedding present. It refused to feed correctly from the git-go. Sent it back to Savage and it came back working perfectly.

Remington 700 is the number on rifle for hunting, it's expensive, reliable, and a damn good rifle.
    Expensive is a relative term. Some Savage rifles cost more than some Remingtons. Being the " number on [sic] rifle for hunting" does not guarantee anything except that a marketing operation has been successful. Remingtons have had a lot of problems over the years, most notoriously the Walker trigger and now the, IMHO, POS X-Mark Pro replacement, 8 years of which are subject to recall. Testimony by Remington in the Walker trigger class action lawsuit showed that, buy Remington's own manufacturing records, nearly 50% of certain M700 models (and the 673 in particular) were coming off the line with the FOR (Fire On Release) problem. That's the nasty little problem where the rifle fires when the safety is released.

Numerous M700's have also had other problems, from broken extractors to bolt handles coming off, sometimes on NIB rifles. That's why some people have had their rifles modified to use Sako-style extractors and bolt handles and bolts drilled and tapped so that small bolts can be installed to attach them more securely.

I think the modern Mauser rifle action is another great firearm, I have a 308 I've built from a 1922 action and it kicks ass.
    My father in law used a 30-06 action from 1903A3 for decades, and now I have it. This is one accurate firearm, he really had a great firearm.
    I built a custom 45-70 rolling block Remington ground up and thats a great firearm, stock and forearm are custom made, sling, everything I did. Just to name a few.
    We agree on the Mauser-style actions. My custom 6.5-06AI is based on an Interarms Mark X with a Krieger match barrel and Timney trigger. I think the Ruger M77/MKII/Hawkeye actions may be the best commercial instantiation of the Mauser design available. Which is why my safes contain more Rugers than all others combined.

I have a lot more in my armory, and you can call me names, think what you want, I don't care, but when the going gets tough, I've got my variety of hunting rifles.
    Says the name caller and slander master.

Were not talking about shotguns, however, my armoury favorite is the Remington 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster classic trap, Remington 12 gauge 870 super slug, Remington coach double barrel 1900 SXS 16 gauge, Mossberg 20 gauge 185K, to name a few.

I have .22 caliber rifles, Remington 67, Marlin survival, Savage 15B, to name a few.

I won't go into the self defense firearms, or military firearms, handguns, but you get my point, it's well stocked.

A while back Daughter #3 asked how many forearms I own. When I replied I didn't know, she opened the safes and started counting. Then she included the guns we keep hidden around the house and the ones in the vehicles. (My wife, all three daughters and two of three sons-in-law have CCW permits.) The total included Granddad's Model 24 Remington rifle and High Standard Model C (both .22 Short only) that I've been shooting since the 1950's. In addition there were numerous revolvers - .22LR, .22WM, .327 Federal, two .38 SPL, .357 Mag, and .44 Mag. Then there were other .22 rifles. In semi-auto handguns there were multiple .22LR plus .25ACP, .380 ACP, two 9mm Luger, .40S&W and .45ACP. In rifles there were two muzzleloaders plus ARs in .223/5.56, .300BLK and .308 Win. Leverguns included a .22LR, .30-30, .375 Win, .44 Mag and .45-70. Bolts included .223, .22-250, .243 (Savage, stock, no less), .257 Roberts, 6.5-06AI, .280 Rem, 7mm RM, .308 Win, four .30-06, .300WM and .338WM. I don't care much for shotguns but have a Rem 3-1/2" 870 and Grandad's old (pre-1921) Iver Johnson Firearms and Bicycle Works single shot 12 gauge. And a double barrel 12. Makes include a LOT of Rugers for both revolvers and bolt guns. Others include Marlin, Browning, Remington, Savage, Interarms, Walther, Kimber, Beretta, Ithaca, High Standard, Iver Johnson, Stevens, S&W, Rock River and Thompson. Then there is the Savage 111 I'm building to be a 6.5PRC. Probably missed a few but you get the idea - I've been shooting far longer than you and am not impressed by your collection. But I'm glad you have one.

So let's close this thread, since I've completed my journey into building the Savage from Scratch, the 110 model is a decent firearm and will do the job. Its really to bad Savage didn't run the same course as Remington, Winchester, in there day they were the best out there, then Savage went cheap and destroyed themselves for decades, the 110 platform is still a good firearm, which brought them back from bankruptcy, and now its a great seller if you want a economic firearm. I only built this one since I really didn't have a good 300 Win Mag, and since I built it I know it's going to be a dependable great hunter. Everything is custom, bolt has been spun to remove the Savage logo, giving it a clean look, the barrel has been turned upside down so all of the writing is inside the stock, it's free of any Savage identification except for its serial number.

So thanks to the forum members for helping me, and giving me some good information.

To the trolls on the forum, get a life, don't be so inflated, trying to impress everyone it doesn't work, and your B.S. just doesn't work.
    Sure - close the thread because you can't defend for your remarks, some of which are laughably ridiculous, include non-sequiturs and/or are demonstrably false.

You slander others and then want to run away, the coward's way out. Go for it.

My background is law enforcement from the 1980's, working in a large department, for ten years, we were the real law enforcement that earned respect with saps, stick batons, .357 plus P ammo 870 shotguns, and no dirt bag survived when we unleashed our fury on them. We were the classic wrecking ball, destroying everything in our path, blood on our boots, and a attitude that was bigger than life. I have saved people from fires, protected myself from harms way, protected my law enforcement family, my attitude is coarse, my skills are defined, and I learned that life can be gone in a instant, a blink of a eye, and I seen it all. I've seen people blown up, burned up, shot, stabbed, run over, you name it. I don't have any more to give, I gave everything I had.

I just hope you see my side of the mirror and understand I don't give a rat's ass what others think about me, I'm content where I'm at and I am still living life to the fullest.
    Thank you for your service but don't congratulate your self too much - a lot of people have served and I suggest many much more humbly than you. For myself, I was serving in SE Asia during the war while you were probably still in diapers. We lost a lot of good men over there and they gave far more than you.
    Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07-13-2019 at 01:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    I’m not a collector & currently have only a few. But I have owned quite a few through the years, have used & learned many hundreds of weapons, and built more than I care to count. Oh, and one time I performed CPR on a disabled woman.

Where does that rank me? Eleventy-Seventh or so?? LOL!

Walz is not new. He is a troll that has returned. What is new is attacking people on this forum. Every post he makes is to draw you back in. This is his signature from when he was banned. I feel that out of respect for Jim and in the spirit he has tried to maintain a semblance of harmony. Post helpful information. Outside of that if he does not head the advice or if the OP appears to be trolling...walk away. The only reason a troll posts is to get a reaction. He will attack and then cry when he is attacked. It is a typical of a troll. Lets not feed the troll. If no one answers his post he will then start trying to contribute on others post. It is then he will be truly exposed.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Walz is not new. He is a troll that has returned.
    So he walz'ed in here before? Hmmm.

Banned
    It doesn’t seem like his intentions are bad. Just there is some SERIOUS bull doo-doo in some things he says. I caught on to this from the beginning as he claims to build so many guns, but then doesn’t know some very basic knowledge that EVERY gunsmith/builder inherently knows! Also, as Robin & several have pointed out, he speaks at times with a soldier of fortune/Mad Max/Prepper tone. And after 7 pages, NOW all of a sudden, a LEO background emerges. It’s almost like several different people are speaking.

I agree with Robin guys. Don’t feed into it. The quoting & arguing...just no point. No one has out-rite called anyone names or slurs..., yet several have blamed each other for doing just that thing! As was said, people expose themselves for what they are, given the time.

I'd say these were clearly slurs, some at me directly, others at respondents who disagreed with him or found him obnoxious:

sorry you can't customize a rifle, and that you can only use a factory shooter
    Very few of my rifles are factory stock. I've tuned, adjusted or replaced most of the triggers, other parts on some of the semi-autos, floated the barrels in all the bolt action wood stocks, bedded several, replaced stocks, added pads, refinished and repaired stocks and blued the metal. Two of my AR's were built from parts. I've also had two rifles custom built to my specs from parts I supplied. That said, I do have some rifles and other firearms that are just as they came from the factory and the reason they are is they work just fine.

...you can use a factory rifle to hunt if you are going to shoot a animal say 20 feet away take the shoulder pain while yanking on the trigger. STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES.
    I'd be happy to face the OP in a one-on-one long range shoot. Clay pigeons on the 500 and 600 yard berms are my favorite targets and hit rates at 600 have been over 65% even in a gusty crosswind. Not bragging - I know shooters who do much better.

...no fair game hunt, no stalking, no even hunting just slaughter. I'll bet your that kind of hunter
    I've been a fair game hunter since I got started. Sometimes I stalk, sometimes I still hunt, sometimes I use blinds improvised from brush and other materials at the spot. Never did the kind of hunt he was talking about.

...its fair hunting not spray and pray like you are used to to hunt probably
    Most of my game is taken with one shot. Follow-ups, when needed, generally just hasten the inevitable. On multiple occasions I've watched game for hours waiting for a clean shot. Hardly what I'd call "spray and pray" hunting.

The other forum members are just trolls...
    Says the master troll.

I’m new to this forum and this is one of the first threads I read.... wow... it’s like a soap opera, just full of teases and barbs.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456