Thread: Model 10 Stocks

Model 10 Stocks

Why does it seem so hard to find a good aftermarket stock for a Model 10, blind mag with a sporter contoured barrel. I've looked and seems unless I go to McMillan and spend $700 I am never going to find one? I want something to replace the factory synthetic and I don't mind spending a little bit of money but not that much.

Basic Member
    The consensus is that Savage has made too many receiver combinations and the aftermarket does not want to keep designing more stuff. How about a Boyd's?

Also look at Stocky's...they have some clearance stocks for sporter barrel 10's that are an extra 20% off right now.

Basic Member
    +1 on Boyd's

Basic Member
    Bell and Carlson makes one for $272 and a fully adjustable one for 517.31
    Hogue makes two - one with aluminum pillars ($160)and one with an aluminum frame and pillars (260).
    E. Arthur Brown sells a conversion stock to AICS detachable magazine for $408 without the mag.
    XLR makes an aluminum chassis with adjustable stock to convert a hidden mag to AICS detachable magazines for $ 760 without the mag but sells the mags.

Oryx for $399 if you would consider a chassis.

There is a guy selling a stockade that looks nice around the interwebs. I don't mind putting you in touch with him if you receive pm's. This is not mine just trying to help two guys out.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    If yours is right handed with a top bolt release, Boyd's has 13 different stock options for that configuration. If it has a bottom bolt release, they don't have anything. Stocky's lists three models that may work for you but it will depend on the bolt release.

I don't want a Chassis. This is a deer rifle so I want solid practical stock. I took a look at the Bargain Barn stocks and I might pick one of those up but I need to go measure the spacing before I actually hit the buy button.

Basic Member
    Stockys stocks has a lot of savage stocks for sporter barrels,they have 4.27" for older guns and 4.4" for the newer,Boyds has laminated wood stocks under $190

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1068SPC View Post
    I don't want a Chassis. This is a deer rifle so I want solid practical stock. I took a look at the Bargain Barn stocks and I might pick one of those up but I need to go measure the spacing before I actually hit the buy button.
    Just checked the Bargain Barn and there are no model 10 stocks for 4.27" actions. Too bad, the Heritage laminated stocks in gray or brandy for under $160 are a sweet deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1068SPC View Post
    Why does it seem so hard to find a good aftermarket stock for a Model 10, blind mag with a sporter contoured barrel. I've looked and seems unless I go to McMillan and spend $700 I am never going to find one? I want something to replace the factory synthetic and I don't mind spending a little bit of money but not that much.
    What's wrong with the factory stock?
    Is it something that cant be fixed with a little epoxy and paint?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    FWIW I shoot Mod 10,11,and 12's. Short actions. I've done quite a bit of changing stocks, triggers, etc. This is what I've learned about the stock change process.
    Choate tactical stocks are popular, but they are very heavy. The one I have is definitely a prone stock.
    Bell and Carlson stocks are heavy. I have two varmint rifles in B&C tactical stocks. They are pillared and I bedded them. These are shooting bag/bipod/prone stocks. I wouldn't want to carry them around. Full disclosure. I'm 65yo in pretty good shape. You may think differently about the weight/carrying issue.
    The backlog on McMillan stocks is 6 months. They're great stocks, but as you know expensive.
    Boyd's stocks may require a pillar and bedding job to shoot any better than what you have.
    I had a Mod 10 varmint barrel 308 with a bedded recoil lug. It shot great. I regret going through the process of changing and bedding a new stock. I should have left it as-is.
    I have a Mod 11 223 sporter, also with a bedded recoil lug. It shoots great with reloads. I'm not going to change anything.
    If you plan on carrying your rifle around, look into the size and weight of aftermarket stocks.

Look at the Hogue Overmolded stocks or H-S Precision.

Basic Member
    Browse through here and you'll probably find a good stock for hunting. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/categor...t-rifle-stocks

If you're looking for a wood working project, there are some nice ones here: http://www.rifle-stocks.com/sporter_hunting_styles.htm

I built a 308 based on a model 11 action, Savage sporter barrel and a lightweight laminate stock. It sure does kick hard, but I figure I can stand it for a shot or two to put dinner on the table.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.