Thread: Savage Factory Barrel Beasts Strike Again!

Basic Member

Savage Factory Barrel Beasts Strike Again!

I had about broken my right arm patting myself on the back for buying an unfired 111. Got a good deal on a 308 barrel and was looking forward to a smooth swap of both barrel and stock. My buddy and I dug out my Savage action wrench and barrel nut wrench and got after it. It soon became apparent that this barrel nut was not going to budge on my kitchen floor. Buddy took it home, applied penetrating fluids, let it set and still no luck. Day 3 became a family affair with his son standing on the bar attached to the action wrench, and my buddy putting a 34 inch cheater bar to work on the barrel nut wrench. Well the good news is that the barrel finally broke loose from the action; revealing some brown cruddy stuff on the threads that had contributed holding the barrel in place. A minor irritation is that the barrel nut never did move. It is still attached to the barrel! My buddy is dousing it more penetrating oil, but for now the path is clear for the barrel swap:). Much has been written in posts on this subject but man oh man it just seems like the newer the rifle is the harder it is to get the barrel off. Onward and upward!

Basic Member
    I had one of those with a 270 win barrel once. Took a dremel with metal cutting wheel to it. The barrel was ruined before the dremel work, with about 2 threads stripped. The barrel only had mediocre accuracy so I didnt loose much. Hope you have better luck

Basic Member
    So far the barrel is unscathed. Since there is no real rush to get the barrel nut off we can give the penetrating fluid all the time in the world work. Major PIA but so far no harm done. I did, however, order a go/no go gauge from Reamer Rental's and they will be here any day so I'm glad we got the barrel off!

Banned
    Yes, these more difficult barrel nuts always do better with the use of a heavy duty bench vise and mini sledge. One good “smack” usually makes quick work of even the toughest jobs! Then if the barrel nut is seized on the barrel, a barrel vice comes in handy. I’m gonna make a barrel vise at some point. Just haven’t gotten around to it

Basic Member
    The factory is glueing barrels and barrel nuts,i have found a little heat on barrel nut helps,if you can't move b nut,cut it off,get a precision barrel nut and precision recoil lug,you will be glad you did.Northland Shooters Supply has them

Basic Member
    I have NSS on speed dial...Good stuff!

Basic Member
    The one I had trouble with appeared to have a mixture of blast media and bluing salts. I was able to break it loose and remove the barrel but was never able to unscrew it off the barrel. Savage is Cutting corners on there manufacturing. Been happening ever since ownership changed

Banned
    Yes, always plan on using a machined barrel nut & recoil lug as varget204 pointed out. I use PTG. They offer both stainless & alloy steel. I went alloy & cold blued myself because I chose a chrome-moly blued barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by hnts4fun View Post
    I have NSS on speed dial...Good stuff!
    Amen to that!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Bought a 111 with a rusty and pited barrel for a builder (the action was OK).

Could not get the barrel off with the wrench. Since the barrel was toast anyway, I ground flats on two sides to hold it on my vice while I hammered the wrench. Tried heat, too, still no go.

Ended up taking the rifle to a gunsmith.

I had a used 30-06 that I picked up cheap at a local emporium with the intention of using it for a build. Long story short, I had to cut the barrel nut with my Dremel and
    then pried the nut apart enough to get it to remove. There was rust all over the barrel threads and nut.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I am able to give some attention to my unfired 270 barrel. Somewhere on this site I read about a type of glue/Loctite used on certain barrel threads that will respond to water. This barrel is pristine and it's important to me to have it still pristine WHEN I finally win the battle against this particular barrel nut. My buddy has applied heat with no success; penetrating fluids with no success; so next up is a good soaking in some warm water. I will report my results.

Basic Member
    You need to use barrel vise;wrap wet towel around barrel,heat nut it takes some elbow grease to get them off,some are glued on w/80-90 foot pounds torque,if you can't remove it,cut it off,your a lot better off w/ a precision barrel nut,Highly recommend a Precision Recoil lug for accuracy.As mentioned above, NSS has everything you need for a Savage