I had about broken my right arm patting myself on the back for buying an unfired 111. Got a good deal on a 308 barrel and was looking forward to a smooth swap of both barrel and stock. My buddy and I dug out my Savage action wrench and barrel nut wrench and got after it. It soon became apparent that this barrel nut was not going to budge on my kitchen floor. Buddy took it home, applied penetrating fluids, let it set and still no luck. Day 3 became a family affair with his son standing on the bar attached to the action wrench, and my buddy putting a 34 inch cheater bar to work on the barrel nut wrench. Well the good news is that the barrel finally broke loose from the action; revealing some brown cruddy stuff on the threads that had contributed holding the barrel in place. A minor irritation is that the barrel nut never did move. It is still attached to the barrel! My buddy is dousing it more penetrating oil, but for now the path is clear for the barrel swap:). Much has been written in posts on this subject but man oh man it just seems like the newer the rifle is the harder it is to get the barrel off. Onward and upward!