Thread: wilson barrels

Basic Member

wilson barrels

Has anyone ever bought a wilson pre-fit barrel from Raggedhole barrels ? if you have pls post results of how it was made and how it shoots,thinking about a 6BRX,Criterion does not offer this caliber

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    I'll tell you my experience with Wilson barrels. I don't buy pre fits. I usually have something in mind when I want a barrel so it ends up being "custom chambered/contoured" to my specs. Every barrel I own is a bug hole shooter.
    Was thinking about another Wildcat build. Had built a 6.8 SPC and liked how it came out. Thought about the 30 BR being the "hot item" of the day but why not a 6.8 BR? Built a dummy round, shipped it off to PT&G and had them cut me a reamer to those specs. Come to find out, it was a "first" for them. Never has cut a 6.8 BR reamer.
    Wanted a barrel but didn't want to spend BIG $$$ and not like the chambering so I started looking. A guy on another forum turned me on to a couple of Wilson blanks for sale. Bid on both but was only able to snag one. ($125.00) Such a deal.
    Was told by my gunsmith that Wilson barrels were CRAP because they wern't lapped? He is a little opinionated. Shipped him my reamer and barrel blank and had it chambered. From the first round fired down that barrel, nothing but BUG HOLES!!! Would buy another in a heart beat. I still happen to have a Wilson pencil blank is .270 that needs a home.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

wilson barrels

I got a Wilson blank from Ragged Hole. I chambered it. It’s a good shooter. The steel machined beautifully. It fouled a bit more than the high end ones to start with but probably because of the throat cut by a rented reamer. No reason he couldn’t build you a prefit that’s as good as any of the rest of them. I found the service excellent, I had the in stock blank in less than a week. I wish he stocked a lighter contour.