Thread: My second Model 10 .223 with sub MOA accuracy!!

Basic Member

My second Model 10 .223 with sub MOA accuracy!!

Been trying to find the magic load for my second Savage Model 10 in 223 that would give tack driving accuracy for the last few months. Went through lots of different bullets and powder and primers. Tried Nosler 70 and 77 grain CC that I had to load deep so that they would chamber cleanly. They shot ok but not what I'm looking for. Tried Hornady 75 gr ELD-Match that gives 1/4 MOA accuracy out of my other 223 with no luck. Went through an assortment of 55 and 60 grain tipped bullets with no luck.
    Finally bit the bullet (no pun intended) and bought a box of Sierra 77 gr Tipped Match Kings. MAGIC happened. Those bullets have a short ogive that allows me to load into the lands if I want to and still have magazine room left! Using 21.8 gr of Alliant AR-Comp over CCI-450 primers and 0.025 off the lands gives me .480 MOA consistently! Now I just need to run those past my chronograph and load the ballistics into my Kestrel and I will be ready for rock chuck season with another rifle!
    Almost forgot, both rifles have McGowan 26 inch varmint barrels in 8 twist.
    WooHoo.

Basic Member
    You might try the 69 grain Sierra Tipped Match Kings also. They shoot great in my Model 12 FV 26 inch barrel with a 1:9 twist if they are seated out at around 2.320 O.A.L.

The 69 and 77 grain TMKs also shoot great in my Les Baer Super Varmint .223 semi-auto 1:8 twist if I load them out to the same O.A.L. but that makes me use a single round follower in the AR magazines.
    The Les Baer shoots just about everything accurately. It's 5 round group average at 100 yards is 0.408 for 339 measured groups of all powder-bullet combinations but is 0.277 for its top 25 loads.
    Regular Match Kings shoot better back at 2.260 to 2.270 with the Les Baer, but that is understandable because the ogive is in about the same place as the TMKs but the are shorter overall by about 0.070 because they don't have the plastic tip.

I find that some barrels have very specific preferences when it comes to the amount of bullet body touching the rifling.
    My Savage model 12 FV shoots 68 gr Hornady Match bullets and 70 gr Berger VLD bullets terrible.
    I think that is because I seated them the way I would seat the SMKs since they didn't have tips.
    I am about to try them again with them seated out further, closer to the TMKs.

Basic Member
    CFJunkie, You are right about barrels preferring different bullets. Can be absolutely maddening trying to find the magic combination not mention expensive buying boxes of bullets to test.

The only exception I've seen for far is the McGowan barrel on my first 223. I call it H1 for Hammer #1. That thing shoots just about anything I put through it really well. The McGowan on H2 is obviously more finicky and has only digested the 77gr TMKs to my liking. I may take your suggestion to try the 69gr TMKs just for grins. Thanks!

Basic Member
    I wonder why so many rifles shoot the Sierra MK/TMK's so well? My Axis in .223 also likes the 69 and 77 gn SMK's the best. Nosler match bullets are close but just not quite the same. My 12BVSS also likes SMK's (168 and 175).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I wonder why so many rifles shoot the Sierra MK/TMK's so well? My Axis in .223 also likes the 69 and 77 gn SMK's the best. Nosler match bullets are close but just not quite the same. My 12BVSS also likes SMK's (168 and 175).
    Charlie, this first thing I do with any new bullet is measure the distance to the lands from the base of the bullet to the ogive. I do this to make sure that I don't accidentally load a round with the bullet jammed into the lands. I was surprised that the 77gr TMK was able to reach the lands and STILL HAVE ROOM IN THE MAGAZINE!!! I've NEVER found that with any other bullet 75 gr bullet. The ogive is set closer to the tip as in a tangent ogive. That and the fact that I can load them long to set close to the lands and still have the bullets feed smoothly makes a huge difference. The Nosler Custom Comp in both 70 and 77 gr need to be loaded deep, I mean deep into the case so that the shoulder of the case hits the feed ramp and lifts the meplat over the rim of the chamber. Otherwise they all jam and will not feed. The TMKs give me the option of loading close to the lands if I want.
    My other 223 likes Hornady 75 gr ELD-Match and delivers 1/4 MOA accuracy at 200 yards on a consistent basis. I'm hoping that this rifle with TMKs will be nearly as accurate.

Basic Member
    I agree. I was surprised that I get the accuracy I do from seating the bullets at the book depth, 2.26 for both 69 and 77 SMK. I figure there is a pretty big jump but I still get good groups. The Noslers I seat the same. Maybe they have less accuracy because they are too close to the lands? I have also had good luck with the ELD bullets. Since the SMK's work for me I am reluctant to spend the extra money for the TMK's. :)

I was just wondering why the SMK's do well in so many different barrels and calibers?

I wish I were still good enough to get 1/4MOA groups on a regular basis (bipod and rear bag). I can pretty consistently hit at under MOA and frequently 1/2MOA.

Basic Member
    Update May 20, 2019. I put the rifle on paper at 200 yards today to get my zero set dead on at that range. After minor adjustments to the scope the rifle delivered 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards! As long as I do my part this rifle will deliver with the 77gr Sierra TMKs. Ten round MV was 2788 with 11.7 SD. I just ordered another 500 TMKs and 250 pieces of Starline brass. Too bad that rock chuck season only lasts for another 6 weeks.