Thread: Would it be safe to rechamber a factory 3006 barrel to 300 Weatherby Mag?

Would it be safe to rechamber a factory 3006 barrel to 300 Weatherby Mag?

I've been searching for a 300 Weatherby Mag barrel for a standard shank without any luck and since I have a few 30 caliber barrels laying around I'm thinking of buying a finish reamer and cutting a 3006 into a 300 wby mag. Anyone here done this? Will it work. I've allready got all the extras I need for the MAG. I'll probably tear down my 7mm wssm for this build.
    Thanks,
    Ninner

Banned
    Sorry, nevermind. Passed over “standard shank”. Probably should use a large shank barrel for the magnum case. Although it would likely be fine in a standard, Savage did it for a reason.

But this question has been posed before, and I believe “mathematically” it would be fine, i.e., having enough steel around threads.

You only really "need" a large shank for wssm calibers, my 300 win mag and 7mm wssm are both standard shank factory barrels although they now sell wssm calibers in large shank. not sure about the 300 mag though. Even my 300 RUM build was on a standard shank factory barrel.

Basic Member
    Perfectly safe with a standard shank. Most all of Savage's standard belted magnums were built on small shanks. Even the first RUM's and WSM's were on small shanks and they never were recalled. The 300 Weatherby is the same diameter case as the 300 win mag, just longer and with the Weatherby double radius shoulder. It'll be fine. Although I'd think a 30-06 barrel is probably going to be too short to get much velocity advantage out of the Weatherby case. You should probably consider going longer. Most all barrel makers will chamber it to any length you want.

Let me see here. You have some old 3006 barrels, You are willing to by a reamer. If you do it you probably have a lathe. So you will be out 175.00 for the reamer. Or you will buy the reamer and a friend will do the work, or you will buy the reamer and a smith will do the work. The smith will charge between 75 and 150 so you could potentially spend 275 on a used barrel that may be too short. Or you could buy a wilson from Ragged Hole Barrels (Barrel Bros)a sponsor on here and get a brand new barrel. Close to the same price.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    There have been almost an exhausting number of debates over the years on just this very thing....24”vs 26” barrel for 300Weatherby Mag, Barrel length for Magnum calibers, etc.

And the bottom line is you will sacrifice somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-100fps. Possibly a bit more if you have a very short 22”. Even still it will generate more energy than the 30-06.

Why jump to a WBY instead of a WM? The WM in a 22" barrel will likely give you all the powder capacity you can safely burn and brass is more plentiful and less expensive.

Banned
    I’m thinking his choice is based on the fact we live in an amazing country that has limitless possibilities in cartridges, and something about the Weatherby Mag “tickles his fancy”! Just a guess obviously, but I say right on!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    . The smith will charge between 75 and 150 .
    Well...this smith would probably be at least double that high end. Assuming it could be done without setting back the breech (I haven't looked at the reamer prints), it's potentially a much bigger pain in the ass to dial in and re-chamber a barrel than a new tube.

Just get a new pre-fit and you'll be ahead of the game.

Basic Member
    Didn’t read anywhere that he said he was using a 22” barrel. Who knows how long a barrel he has lying around. Did someone peek?

Yes, you can ream your 06 to 300 Weatherby. Nothing wrong with small shank, Winchester uses a smaller shank yet with no ill effects. You don’t even have to buy a reamer. 4D Rentals has 300 Weatherby. I’ve used his stuff many times. I got a very dull throating reamer for a revolver cylinder once, but all his chamber reamers have worked great.