Thread: Model 14 .308

Model 14 .308

I just picked up a near perfect condition 14 yesterday in .308. I was wondering what rounds you guys have found this gun likes? My 110 7mm08 shoots nearly anything around 1 moa and I was just wondering about this one. Thank you in advance!

Basic Member
    A lot of shooters like to see what other rifles shoot well and conclude that it will also work for their rifle.

I thought that way too, until I got several rifles of the same caliber.
    I have two Model 10 .308s both with 24 inch barrels. I also had an old Model 10 as well
    Both of the new .308s shoot Sierra TMKs better than anything else, regardless of powder.
    The catch is that one prefers 155 and 168 gr TMKs and the other prefers 175 and 195 TMKs.
    I have no doubt that a different barrel-powder combination would have entirely different results.
    For my .308s, even the old one, H4894, IMR4064, Reloader 15, and N140 powders did well and each of the rifles had a different preferred powder.
    I recently got three different Savage 6.5mm Creedmoor rifles. Two model 12s and one model 10.
    The model 12s like 142 grain Sierra SMKs and 147 gr Hornady ELD-M bullets best - one prefers IMR4451 Enduron powder over any other powder the other shoots Both IMR4451 and IMR4350 equally well.
    The model 10 likes 130 grain Sierra TMKs and 140 Hornady ELD-Ms. It also likes IMR4350 powder best.

I suggest you first figure out what weight bullet your particular rifle barrel-stock combination prefers and then what powder it prefers.
    Then you can figure out what bullet, in the weight range you found works best, has the most consistent performance.
    It will take quite a bit of time and a lot of measuring group sizes and recording data before you can make a conclusion that means anything, but unless you take the time to do that, you may as well just pick something and shoot it, because you may never know what really works best.