Thread: Savage 110 LA SF BM TBR varmint contour barrel in Boyds At-One stock???

Basic Member

Savage 110 LA SF BM TBR varmint contour barrel in Boyds At-One stock???

So this is my first post so bear with... I purchased a 1991 Savage 110 Blind mag, staggered feed, Long action 30-06 at a pawn shop for little bit of nothing. I am wanting to re-barrel to 25-06 for deer hunting mostly in south Texas. It will be a stand gun so weight is not much of an issue but don't want it so heavy that it couldn't be used to walk with on rare occasions.

So far I'm thinking a Criterion varmint contour from NSS as per many suggestions on this forum. I will most likely get the lug and nut from NSS as well along with wrench and go gauge.

The predicament I'm having is choosing a stock. I really like the At-One for its adjustable aspects because I'm hoping to get my 11 year old son to do more shooting with the high power rifle. He is great with his .22 and loves to shoot the AR but haven't broke into the taking bigger game category yet. Eventually he will get his own but thought this might be a way to break him in without having to get a whole other rifle. Plus telling my wife its for the boy loosens her grip on the budget HA HA

So while diving into boyds At-ones on their site i don't think they offer the At one in my configuration to except the varmint contour. If I select 110 FP TBR which I believe is police they have a bull barrel selection but I'm not sure my screw spacing would be the same as a 110FP.

Or I can select 110 TBR and factory barrel to get the At-one style but I'm assuming then I would have to do some sanding which I'm not apposed to if there is enough material to do so for the varmint barrel.

Okay maybe a lot to process here. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated. Even if it goes into a completely different direction.

I recently did a review on the AT1 in the new ambidexterous thumbhole shape. I installed the heavy barreled action from a model 10PC in it. I did have to relieve the barrel channel some but it was no big deal. A half round wood rasp followed by some sandpaper made quick work of it and there is plenty of meat left in the stock. absolutely no big deal. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	at1foreend.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	6038

The majority of what had to be removed was out near the tip of the fore end. Not sure what length tube you're wanting but there's a lot of opinion online about 26" for 25-06 blah blah blah. That may "maximize" the cartridge blah blah blah but I haven't heard one complaint from a target or a deer shot with either of mine with 22" sporter(111) or 24" heavy(110FP) barrels. as far as action length and screw spacing the new system labels all rifles as 110 whether they be long or short action while the older system from the ninetys used 3 digit for long and 2 digit for short actions. the proper screw spacing for All Long Actions = 5.062" so a call may be in order.
    My youngest sons first centerfire deer rifle was a 111 in 25-06 at about age 10 or 11 and he still hunts with it as a grown man. Heck I grab it myself often enough if he isn't going LOL. It's a 111 that I worked over the trigger and bedded it into a factory synthetic with JB weld and spray painted the stock. with the sporter it's apleasure to carry and shoots bugholes. I Even had a guy at the range try to trade me a beautiful Browning gold medallion in .243 for that $300 spray painted Savage after I let him shoot it. Being my sons first deer rifle there was no way I could part with it.
    Just my .02 but you could do a lot worse than a sporter barrel especially for a kid. Longer tubes can be a pain to get out the window in a shoot house, to carry through the woods because they stick up so far above the shoulder when slung, and I've found heavy and long are just plain cumbersome in the field.
    Good luck and enjoy your project.
    BHJ
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 05-12-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Awesome thanks for the reply. I was thinking 24". Now you've got me thinking 22". I'm not big on extra length either. Just enough to get the job done.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have a ATONE on my 12 FV,they are Not pillar bedded,they have a 1/2"long plastic pillar on front screw hole.Highly recommend from Stockys Stocks,Savage steel pillars about $ 15. I installed the steel pillars and Glass bedded the action,It's rock solid. Can't beat for $190 and shipping,about 1/2 the cost of anyone elses. They now have Thumbhole ATONE

Basic Member
    Cool. Yeah I'm really leaning hard towards the at1. The thing kinda holding me back was the non bedding but from what I've been reading it's a fairly easy diy project.

Basic Member
    I like the look of the at1 thumbholes too but wonder how awkward moving the safety on a 110 would be with a thumbhole stock?

Quote Originally Posted by tximport View Post
    I like the look of the at1 thumbholes too but wonder how awkward moving the safety on a 110 would be with a thumbhole stock?

The AT One thumbhole stock is an ambidextrous shape and can be fired from either side. Reaching the safety is no problem. In my opinion Savages 110 model tang mounted safety is in the best possible location for a rifle safety and right where a safety should be. perfect for ambidextrous manipulation with ease.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AT1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	6044
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    The AT One thumbhole stock is an ambidextrous shape and can be fired from either side. Reaching the safety is no problem. In my opinion Savages 110 model tang mounted safety is in the best possible location for a rifle safety and right where a safety should be. perfect for ambidextrous manipulation with ease.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AT1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	6044
    That is beautiful. I really like how that thing looks. Although the deer dont care what your pew pew looks like...but why carry something ugly to the stand when you can carry that. I may try to get into banging some steel at longer ranges as well so that's why I've been indecisive about which way to go. Majority of use will be deer hunting out of a stand but I think that boyds At-1 thumbhole holding a 25-06 varmint barrel should fit the bill for both.

Banned
    If you are just wanting to get the job done, then yes, a 22” would be your friend. However, a 24” will about maximize 25-06. Far as the Boyd’s stock goes, do yourself a favor: Get the stock you WANT and learn to free float the barrel & pillar bed the action. I would not get ANY stock if I did not have the know how on these things. Would be a fun project for you and your son as well. There are literally hundreds & hundreds of “How to” videos, blogs, etc. Not to mention, many here with the know how, would be more than happy to coach you on it.

Basic Member
    Thanks for your take Dave. This is my first rifle build but I have been around guns my whole life and have even taken a Win model 94 COMPLETELY apart...lots of parts and got it put back together without any spare parts lol. I am by no means a professional gunsmith but I am very good at figuring things out and I am not scared to jump right in (after a good amount of research). I hadn't involved my son just yet because i thought I needed to have everything in hand and then take him through the steps of putting it together. Your post Dave made me think why not involve him now and allow him to help make some of the decisions. So to start I showed him a few different stocks that we could choose from and low and behold he picked the At-1 thumbhole I also let him pick the color. I was afraid he was gonna pick zombie but he picked the new color "shady camo" which was the one I liked as well but I was gonna go with forrest camo because it doesn't cost the extra $16.50. But since his first choice was my first choice I will splurge the $16.50 and get the one we want. I am super excited that I got him involved early and cant wait to get it all together. Thanks again Dave

Also big honkin jeep I finally got around to reading your article on the At-1 thumbhole. Its a great article, very informative and lots of insight. I too am hesitant on things that look gimmicky so I appreciate your taking the time to go through it so completely.

Basic Member
    My latest research will be on barrel floating and pillar bedding. I have also seen mention of rockite. I am using the search function but havent come across the right thread as of yet. I know I will find it but if you guys have a link handy that would be great no big deal I do like searching around and reading. thats part of the fun of being on this forum you never know what you might click into...

Banned
    Glad to hear it my friend! I got started around 12. Although, my father didn’t introduce me to firearms(he’d had enough as a Marine in Vietnam), my church had several of the leaders into hunting. And through our Wednesday Battalion group(like Boy Scouts), I was introduced to shooting. From my late teens & young adult life I taught myself to do everything via Google, YouTube and every other facet of the interweb! I started my son at 12 also. He is now almost 20, and knows more about firearms than many, many other “gun enthusiasts” I have come across.

Absolutely get your son going now! He will look back with the utmost gratitude for this gift! I say this all! You said you already have him shooting up to an AR15. That is awesome man! But definitely involve him in “building”. What an immeasurable gift for your child!

Basic Member
    Well gentlemen and ladies (if there are any of the female persuasion on here), I've got the ball rolling.

1st off I picked up a SS McGowen barrel that is matte black from a member here for a great price. It is a varmint contour. Its 26" long and has a target crown. At some point I may have it shortened and put a different crown on it but it will work for now.

2nd got a Boyds At-One thumbhole in shady camo on the way. Along with new action screws from them and they had a new steel trigger guard in black for me. The TG they have is for an Axis but they said it should work.

3rd called up James at NSS and ordered his recoil lug and barrel nut. Along with a barrel nut wrench and action wrench and headspace guages.

4th picked up some shoe polish, clay, longer screws for the action and some other odds and ends in town to do the pillar bedding, action bedding and make sure barrel is floated.

On the bedding, Ive been watching several videos and also found an article on 6mmbr.com about bedding.

Need to get some Devcon 10110. Where are yall getting this stuff? Ive found it on amazon and ebay so thats probably where Ill get it.

Also might pick up a dremel. I do have an air die grinder with some bits so I may just use it.

I dont have a good click type torque wrench but I do have a good old needle style. Will it work for torquing the barrel nut or should I borrow a good one?

Big Honkin Jeep i have went back and reread your article a few times. I think I pick up something new each time. Have you gotten around to bedding it?

Well to quote Porky the Pig bada bada bada thats all folks (for now)

Basic Member
    Well here she is!! Redneck pillar bedded and "professional" action bedded. Only a dozen rounds thru it so far but man I love this thing. It is very heavy though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk