Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current best sources for bolt heads?

Basic Member

Current best sources for bolt heads?

So I have a 308 I will be soon changing over to 223. Naturally I will need a new bolt head. I have been searching around and so far am not coming up with much. So far the only places I have found that have them, are gunshack and PT&G. However, gunshack does not list the left handed bolt head for 223 (only 308, which is what I have), so really that only leaves me with PT&G.
    The PT&G bolt heads seem nice, but they are a little pricey. Is this going to be the only game in town for what I need? (223 left hand bolt head)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Checked there before I posted this thread. They are out of stock. Midway and brownells are both out of stock as well.

Delete.

Banned
    i think the ptg is NOT a drop in part yes / no ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    The one I purchased seemed to be. I installed it as is and have not had any trouble with it since.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    It was my understanding that on a rifle with a barrel already installed and headspaced to the old bolt head, and all you do is swap in one of their bolt heads, headspace will most likely need to be adjusted.
    However if you are doing a new build, where you install the bolt head, then install and headspace the barrel, all will be fine.

I use PT&G bolthead’s on all my builds. They make a really nice replacement. They are worth the money. I actually waited six months to get one without an ejector for my FTR build.
    Couple of things to note. If you just use it as a replacement you still have to check both headspace and firing pin protrusion. If the headspace is not correct you’d have to pull the barrel and adjust the headspace. Since you are switching barrels this won’t be an issue. You will still need to check firing pin protrusion.

Basic Member
    Doesn't anyone buy from EA Brown?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Never heard of them. After finding them with google, it appears they only offer a "conversion" where you send in your bolt and then I assume they swap out the bolt head to your desired caliber, then send it back with your old parts?
    I do not need someone to swap the head for me, I just need the bolt head. Not gonna pay $75 for someone to install a factory bolt head, when I can buy a pt&g bolt head for $70.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I've bought Choate Tactical stocks and sporter barrels from them. No issues, no drama.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Checking Numrich just a short while ago, they're showing new 223 bolt heads in stock, RH and LH.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Checking Numrich just a short while ago, they're showing new 223 bolt heads in stock, RH and LH.
    Shows out of stock for me?
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1401030A

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    You have to go to page three to see the new factory bolt heads

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    You have to go to page three to see the new factory bolt heads
    Your going to have to post a link. I still do not see them. I even searched "savage bolt head 223 LH" to bring up every listing and the one I linked above is the only one. Product #: 1401030A

Banned
    I still think you should just pick up a PTG and be done with it. They are flat out a better part! Spend the couple extra bucks(not like it’s gonna break the bank over a stock bolt head), and I’m sure you won’t regret it. I haven’t read about anyone yet who does! PTG makes nicely machined products.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I still think you should just pick up a PTG and be done with it. They are flat out a better part! Spend the couple extra bucks(not like it’s gonna break the bank over a stock bolt head), and I’m sure you won’t regret it. I haven’t read about anyone yet who does! PTG makes nicely machined products.
    99% chance I will. But I am not against saving a little money if I can find a factory bolt head for half the price or less of the PTG head. The PTG bolt heads are really nice, but a factory head would serve the purpose just fine too. Just a factory head is proving to be harder to find than I was expecting.
    I have until my new barrel comes in to find a head. So I am in no rush. If I have not found a factory head by the time my barrel gets here, I will order a PTG one.

Banned
    I’m baggin’ what you’re rakin’. Well, you could try calling Savage parts department directly, between 9am-4:15pm EST. 413-568-7001 Give em a sob story about getting this together for a disabled person with no arms or legs & only half a pancreas! And this is his dream rifle! Who knows....

Basic Member
    Have you tried the obvious choice, contacting Savage Customer Service? They may want you to sign a waiver to ship that part to you, or just have it shipped to your gunsmith. If the C.S. person won't offer you the choice of signing a waiver, call back later and talk to another person, it seems to make a difference. It seems that some just don't want to do the extra work, but most will work with you. Just be nice and sprinkle your words with plenty of sweetness (it's good practice anyway) and you'll have a bolt head in your hands quickly. Be sure to tell them you're shooting a contest in two weeks, that'll often help to grease the rails.

Savage is by far the cheapest source of Savage parts, and you pretty much know they're in stock.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’m baggin’ what you’re rakin’. Well, you could try calling Savage parts department directly, between 9am-4:15pm EST. 413-568-7001 Give em a sob story about getting this together for a disabled person with no arms or legs & only half a pancreas! And this is his dream rifle! Who knows....

Don't know how I missed your post, but I think you said it better!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Banned
    LOL..no worries my friend! I’ve said it a few times...not difficult to sometimes “hear an echo” in a thread. LOL! As Robin has said, “great minds think alike”.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    The first one you showed was a RH Rob. There are many bolts listed on those pages, but if you look, it’s the same 4 or 5 Part Numbers listed over & over again! The correct bolt is Part #1401030A, and it’s Out of Stock. But this one is also a LH. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1354530
    And it’s showing in stock jeepsandguns. Grab one before they’re gone!

Banned
    Duh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast