Thread: 12FV Lightweight Compact Build Help

12FV Lightweight Compact Build Help

Picked up a 12fv 6.5cm for fun awhile back and I've been itching to build a compact lightweight rifle for hunting, and I'm considering using the 12fv or picking up another rifle. Looking for something with 12.5" LOP, 18" barrel, around 7lbs or so w/ lightweight scope. I figured the cheapest I could do is chop the 12fv varmint barrel down to 18" and cut buttpad down, which I figure could give a compact rifle weighing 8.5lbs or so. I'm not sure if 8.5lbs will still be too heavy though? Another option is to put on a sporter barrel chopped to 18", use the 12fv stock or find a sporter synthetic stock or wood stock that I can lighten up. Would a boyd's walnut stock be a good option for lightening if I can't find anything used? I figured I could get close to 7lbs with this setup.

Or would it be easier, but maybe less economical, to pickup another lightweight rifle. I'm thinking something like a tikka lite compact (though I don't care for its look), or the 110 lightweight storm, or trophy hunter youth/compact (7mm-08, but ~8lbs or so).

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Basic Member
    I chopped a .308 12FV down to 18" and put it on a Boyd's "lightweight" thumbhole stock. It still ain't light and I would not want to haul it around the woods. There is no way you need that profile barrel for taking down a deer. Personally, I would pick up a cheap Axis and chop it down before I took apart the 12FV and started ordering new parts.

Update...just happened to be looking at my round of gun sales and Palmetto has a 6.5 Axis II in camo for under $300 after rebate.

Team Savage
    If you want a 7 lb scoped Savage, just buy a Savage LWH with walnut stock or newer Savage LW Storm if you prefer a synthetic stock. It will be faster and cheaper than trying to convert a 12FV with available aftermarket stocks. My advice is based on a number of attempted LW Savage builds prior to the release of the first Savage 11/111 LWH rifle.

Buds Gun Shop currently has a Savage 110 LWT Storm in 6.5 Creedmoor listed for $533.00 which is a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    I chopped a .308 12FV down to 18" and put it on a Boyd's "lightweight" thumbhole stock. It still ain't light and I would not want to haul it around the woods. There is no way you need that profile barrel for taking down a deer. Personally, I would pick up a cheap Axis and chop it down before I took apart the 12FV and started ordering new parts.

Update...just happened to be looking at my round of gun sales and Palmetto has a 6.5 Axis II in camo for under $300 after rebate.
    How was the weight after chopping the barrel but with the original stock? I read somewhere that the lightweight boyds is actually heavier than original.

Basic Member
    I wanted DBM so I switched to the Boyd's...but yes, the plastic stocks are easily lighter than any wood version. I am not home to measure it right now, but I seem to recall that 8" of barrel was ~1.5lbs of weight. And it did make it a lot less front end heavy.

Swap to a sporter and chop it. One of my current favorites is a model 11 sporter in .308 cut down on both ends with a 16" barrel and 12 1/2" LOP with a few other touches thrown in. It's much easier to lose weight with metal than wood or plastic. Been wanting to top this one with a Leupold VX2 3-9x33 ultralight at 8oz and lose the rail and the Vortex for a while now but the package works as is. You can probably find a decent takeoff sporter barrel for around $60 or less
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carbine 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	6025
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 05-04-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    What is a good lightweight scope? Or are those mutually exclusive? Lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brian697 View Post
    What is a good lightweight scope? Or are those mutually exclusive? Lol
    All depends on what you want to do with it For a basic, cheap, light scope I still like the 2-7/3-9/4-14 Nikon Buckmasters and Prostaffs. Puts you in the 13-15oz range and seem to work fine.

Basic Member
    What ranges do you expect to shoot at? If closer you might consider a red dot instead of a scope. Or a red dot with a removable 3x magnifier. Maybe the smaller tactical rifle scopes.

Or a long eye relief scope mounted forward. The lower power ones are a little lighter.