Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 12 Long Distance Rifle Build

Basic Member

Savage 12 Long Distance Rifle Build

Will begin a rifle build using a Savage 12FV in 308 for donor action/barrel. Will put into a GRS Hunter laminate stock using Accurate Mag bottom metal. Will utilize a 4-12x50 scope I have for now. Will evaluate a better scope later. I will also install a Harris bi-pod I have. Waiting on stock and scope rings now. Will see how 308 works out, may convert to 260 Remington later. I like that I can change barrels myself on Savages. Makes it easy to change calibers based on need.

Keep updates coming.

Cool,
    Hard to go wrong with .308 super versatile to load for.
    I would love to see pics as you go.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Will do. Trying to figure out how to post photos

Basic Member
    Received stock today. Very nice fit and finish. Need to do some minor fitting for bottom metal and trigger guard as very tight. Will work on over next couple days. Will try to post photos this weekend.

Basic Member
    Her are pictures of Savage 12FV, Accurate Mag bottom metal and magazine and GRS Hunter stock. I have the rifle just sitting in stock now. Will work on fitting bottom metal over next few days.

That is looking nice. Do you need, or are you gonna bed the action? What does it weigh?

Basic Member
    Will see about bedding once I have everything together for fitment. I taking it one step at a time and documenting my build in a notebook. Weight, will check when everything together. It will be heavy. I am guessing around 10 lbs when I am done, will see how close I am when done😉

Basic Member
    Nice looking stock and it looks top notch with all the adjustments you'll need to make it fit you perfectly.
    I think you'll have a great looking rifle when your done.

Did you shoot it with the 12 FV in its factory stock with the hidden mag so you can compare results after you replace the factory stock?
    That would be an interesting comparison.

Banned
    Minor fitting is ALL that should be required. The GRS stocks come pillar bed. At their upper echelon price point, the GRS line is actually built more like a Chassis. Pillar bed and free floated channel for up to varmint barrel profile. Great choice Olsener1!

Basic Member
    No I have not had time to shoot in original stock. I prefer wood to plastic Tupperware. So no real interest in it. Also feed lips in stock blind mag rub bolt so would need to do some work to make bolt function smoothly. Do not want to waste time on it.

Basic Member
    So fitted everything together today. Used Dremel to fix some of the inletting. May fiddle a little more but loads a dummy shell from mag. A little stiff, so looking into that. But mag feed lips not touching bolt and on empty chamber bolt moves freely. Had to cut down bolts that came with Accurate Mag bottom metal as they too long and bolt was hitting screw tip.

https://ibb.co/09wNJdm
    https://ibb.co/sRfGQXv
    https://ibb.co/CtCQsxb

Basic Member
    I have a Dremel drill press that I used with a cutter but to address some high spots in inlet. Drill press allowed me to keep uniform height when I mage cuts.
    Last edited by Olsener1; 05-19-2019 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Spell error

Basic Member
    I found that the v shaped recoil lug on the model 12 starts to split the laminate GRS stock due to the inletting required for Savage's. There isn't much meat left in critical areas. I ended up installing 2 through bolts on my GRS sporter to squeeze the stock back together at the recoil lug and rear action screw. I figured GRS uses furniture hardware, so why not? It actually improved accuracy and precision because I could torque the action screws properly without splitting the stock apart.

Basic Member
    Donnie, did you bed the Savage in the stock?

Basic Member
    Donnie, what caliber is your rifle and also did you talk to GRS about warranty?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olsener1 View Post
    Donnie, what caliber is your rifle and also did you talk to GRS about warranty?
    Hey,
    I did bed the action. It is a 308win. This rifle has been used in every season here in canada, and all terrain and has never been babied. I think this may have contributed to the stock drying out and splitting. To be fair, these are hunting stocks, not made for precision target. I'm pretty sure they have a low torque recommendation for the action screws, and have a more frequent maintenance schedule. You would be better off with pillar bedding and bedding the front recoil lug so you can get better torque on the action screws.

Basic Member
    Donnie, thank you. I really appreciate you sharing advice. I will look into doing what you suggest.

Basic Member

Scope Selection

Ok, rifle working well at 100 yards. Have not had time lately to work on this project. I am looking at a good entry level scope for long distance shooting. I have narrowed it down to Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 and Nikon Black FX1000 both with the higher magnifications in the 6-24 range. Currently I am using a Vortex Crossfire II 4-16x50AO on Talky rings I had lying around for setup purposes. What I am curious about has anyone used either of the scopes I listed and what would they recommend. Also what bases would be recommended. The Talleys work but I fear if I try to go past 500 yards would need the extra height a 20 MOA base gives me. Thoughts?

If the lug inlet is an issue Dremel the(lug) inlet out on the sides before you bed it. Add pillars if there are none. No stress on the stock that way.
    The FX 1000 has better reviews on clarity. Nikon may be difficult to get warranty. In that price range you might look at Athlon optics. Unless you do not want FFP.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have had no issues with stock. It’s not bedded yet and doing fairly good at sub 1/2” at 100 yards. I will bed but not doing pillars. I compared the Vortex and Nikon side by side. Glass about same to me, Vortex a little brighter. But everything worked on Nikon and windage bob on Vortex was loose and spun too loosely. Vortex heavier and looks a little better made but not enough to discount the $200 difference in price. What type scope mount are you using Robinhood?

All over the place. Im not sure if the level of quality and strength is overkill for my needs but we got a couple of Murphy Precision, a Nightforce, two Ken Farrel, several EGW and Weaver bases. ARC indvidual and Spurh one piece for the 34 mm scope tubes. Nightforce, ARC, Warne, Seekins and TPS for the 30mm's. Tried a lot of things. Go with quality and you wont be sorry. The one piece spurh is the bomb but it is expensive. They come with a tool that levels you scope body so if your reticle is true then you are level without a fight.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Would changing to the Accu-Stock recoil lug or modifying yours to the same profile fit the stock better ?

Basic Member
    I did not have to modify anything. Top part was a direct drop in. I only inleted bottom of stock for bottom metal to get proper spacing for good shell feeding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast