Thread: Howdy from middle of nowhere South Texas

Basic Member

Howdy from middle of nowhere South Texas

I've been milling around the sight reading and learning. I am mostly a deer Hunter but enjoy some plinking. I used to have a Ruger M77 skeleton stock in 25-06 but got rid of it years ago. Kind of got out of hunting for quite a while due to lack of a place to hunt. I am now managing a high fence ranch in South Texas so I get to do some culling. I want my 25-06 back!!! A guy I work with was telling me how easy the savages are to work on so I started researching and I came across an older 110 30-06 at a pawn shop for a little bit of nothing. I bought it and now I'm just trying to get everything lined up that I need.
    Last edited by tximport; 05-09-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Spell check

Howdy back from the third coast. Sounds like you got a nice place now to hunt again.

Basic Member
    Welcome, just finished converting a blind mag 270 to dbm 25-06 and waiting to go shoot. We had about 9" of rain in last 2 days and more coming, may get dry enough in August to go shoot. This was a pretty easy build so good luck on yours.

Team Savage
    Welome aboard

Welcome. South Texas ain't the "middle of nowhere"....it's in the middle of where you want to be. I'd rather be lost in South Texas than found in LA, SF, NYC. Lived near Uvalde for a time...miss that country.

Welcome
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Good to know. I'm trying to decide whether to change up the blind mag for a dbm or even just a drop floor plate. Do you have any links or articles on the process?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Welcome. South Texas ain't the "middle of nowhere"....it's in the middle of where you want to be. I'd rather be lost in South Texas than found in LA, SF, NYC. Lived near Uvalde for a time...miss that country.
    Couldn't agree more. I was born and raised in Kansas so very different country and different kind of hunting but I do love it. We're a little over an hour south of Uvalde near Catarina

Basic Member
    I'm trying to decide whether to change up the blind mag for a dbm or even just a drop floor plate. Do you have any links articles on the process?

I wanted to stay with a factory type plastic stock so just had to find one for dbm. Ended up getting one from Numrich Gun Parts but it didn't have the plastic bottom piece for the dbm to snap into, had to get that part from E.A. Brown. other than a little work to get dbm to snap in place easily it was a drop in swap. of course you'll need a dbm for 30-06/270/25-06 or find a bottom plate and use the one in your blind set up, since I already had dbm for Axis I will swap them back and forth. Don't know what you need to do for Boyds stock or what parts you need to do hinged floor plate, you can use the search feature at the top of the page and find good info. Good luck on your swap and build.

We're a little over an hour south of Uvalde near Catarina
    Guy from down there told me they once had a traffic light in Catarina...we were drinkin so I figured he was just braggin...nuthin to it.

I'm guessing you have a flat rear receiver, stagger feed, blind magazine on your Savage. I have a couple of those and looked into doing a DBM or Floor Plate...after doing some asking I decided it was just not worth the effort but it can be done.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...to-center-feed

Basic Member
    I'm guessing you have a flat rear receiver, stagger feed, blind magazine on your Savage. I have a couple of those and looked into doing a DBM or Floor Plate...after doing some asking I decided it was just not worth the effort but it can be done.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...to-center-feed[/QUOTE]

Yes flat rear receiver, stagger feed (box attached to action), blind mag. Looked up SN here on the site and it is a 1991.
    Its all plastic stock and trigger guard. The trigger is pretty good I believe a 3 screw. I looked up the how to on adjusting it several months ago when I took the gun apart and cleaned it up and was able to get it nice and crisp
    I think my intentions are to go with a different stock but not a high dollar one. Just one that can be bedded and will hold a varmint contour barrel. I'm not looking for 1000 yard accuracy but Ill be throwing a lot of lead down it each year.
    I appreciate y'alls input and now that I got a trail plowed through my office to the desktop I'll be able to use that search function a bit easier than on the cellular telephone.

Basic Member
    I skipped over where you said it was stagger feed, mine was a center feed with blind mag in stock. All I had to do was change out stocks, so forget what I said about changing mine. One track mind and old age got me. LOL. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    howdy

Welcome to the savage family
    Ackley was right all along

Welcome aboard!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Howdy from Kentucky.
    Everyday I wake up,is a good day. The day I don't wake up,it won't matter!