Thread: 112 target scope options?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

112 target scope options?

Mornin fellas, new member here, just bought a Savage 112 Target in .338LM yesterday! Started looking into scopes last night, and my head is spinning! I’d like to get out to a mile or more eventually, so I was looking at 6-24x50 versions of Leupold, Nikon, Vortex. I’ve got a 20moa base on its way already, but not wanting to screw up in the scope. What are you guys using for similar guns? I’d like to stay around $1000-1200 range if I can, not looking for a $2k Nightforce at the moment... unless it’s needed, I’ll save up for it lol. I’d rather spend more and not have problems, but if a vortex or something will handle the recoil and whatnot, I’m on it. Heard the vortex have great glass, leupold isn’t what it used to be, and everything under the sun on the internet, but thought I’d ask savage owners what they use and like/dislike. Thanks!!!!

Take a long hard look at the Midas Tac and Ares ETR line from Athlon. The Midas Tac will run in the $650 range and the Ares etr in the $1200 range. Both are superb scopes and rank higher than their respective prices suggest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Jester

I could make a scope suggestion but instead I am going to ask you to go into this realistically. You mentioned the distances you wanted to shoot. That takes a lot of concentration. In order to make good hits at those ranges you will spend some time behind the glass. If you can try to spend some time behind different models just looking at a target for a minute or two at really long ranges. Keep the cross hair on target for the whole time. Ask yourself if you had to strain to keep focus. Pay attention to the eye box and the exit pupil. The more time you spend doing this you will understand the importance of a well designed scope, regardless of its price point.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    since i shoot out to 2000 with a measly 300 win mag, i have some time looking thru glass.
    i doubt that your budget will support your goals.
    yes you can hit the side of a mountain at 1 mile with almost any scope and a 338lm.
    make it a specific target and things change.
    you also need enough built in elevation to keep you away from the top and bottom of your glass.
    how many moa do you need from 100 to 1800 yards with your 338lm ?
    some examples for you to ponder
    my mk13 SEAL clone sniper in 300 win mag long (mk248mod1) has a 5.5-22x nightforce, just like the original rifle.
    with a 20 moa base and some moa from burris rings i can run from 100 to past 2000 yards i got this at a live auction for 1600.
    with my next class up, a 338 edge i will do the same base and rings, but with a 7-35-56 atacr scope. 3600 msrp/3200 on sale
    you need to look for about 80 moa min in a scope
    you can buy a used nf 12-42 and put a big base under it but you will have to zero way out there.
    long distance ACCURACY aint cheap.

Basic Member
    Perfect tracking and plenty of elevation in a scope rugged enough for a 338 LM? Burris XTR2 will get you there, be reliable, good reticle and be under $1000.

Basic Member
    I assume the OP has not fired at 1000yd or beyond before. Hopefully he has fired a heavy recoiling rifle accurately (less than 1 MOA consistently). If not that will be kind of another step.

I was in kinda the same boat. I am a decent shot. Shot 1/2MOA on a fairly regular basis at closer ranges (100-400yd). The longer range bug bit me so I decided to buy a 12BVSS in .308 so I could shoot at our 1000yd range and do some light competition. Put a Vortex PST on it.

The rifle and scope are great. But, my skills need a LOT of improvement. Going from mid to long ranges is a HUGE step in shooting skill. After a year and I am still not good at longer ranges. I need to get a lot better with trigger and recoil management, and, WINDAGE!!!!

I guess my message is, you probably need to get a decent scope and shoot at the long ranges first before thinking about 1 mile shots. If you ever get bored at 1000yd, then think about a 1 mile setup.

Basic Member
    As long as you are comfortable with the heavier rifles at that range then at least you know what you are getting into.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk