Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 112 target scope options?

112 target scope options?

Mornin fellas, new member here, just bought a Savage 112 Target in .338LM yesterday! Started looking into scopes last night, and my head is spinning! I’d like to get out to a mile or more eventually, so I was looking at 6-24x50 versions of Leupold, Nikon, Vortex. I’ve got a 20moa base on its way already, but not wanting to screw up in the scope. What are you guys using for similar guns? I’d like to stay around $1000-1200 range if I can, not looking for a $2k Nightforce at the moment... unless it’s needed, I’ll save up for it lol. I’d rather spend more and not have problems, but if a vortex or something will handle the recoil and whatnot, I’m on it. Heard the vortex have great glass, leupold isn’t what it used to be, and everything under the sun on the internet, but thought I’d ask savage owners what they use and like/dislike. Thanks!!!!

Take a long hard look at the Midas Tac and Ares ETR line from Athlon. The Midas Tac will run in the $650 range and the Ares etr in the $1200 range. Both are superb scopes and rank higher than their respective prices suggest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Jester

I could make a scope suggestion but instead I am going to ask you to go into this realistically. You mentioned the distances you wanted to shoot. That takes a lot of concentration. In order to make good hits at those ranges you will spend some time behind the glass. If you can try to spend some time behind different models just looking at a target for a minute or two at really long ranges. Keep the cross hair on target for the whole time. Ask yourself if you had to strain to keep focus. Pay attention to the eye box and the exit pupil. The more time you spend doing this you will understand the importance of a well designed scope, regardless of its price point.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    since i shoot out to 2000 with a measly 300 win mag, i have some time looking thru glass.
    i doubt that your budget will support your goals.
    yes you can hit the side of a mountain at 1 mile with almost any scope and a 338lm.
    make it a specific target and things change.
    you also need enough built in elevation to keep you away from the top and bottom of your glass.
    how many moa do you need from 100 to 1800 yards with your 338lm ?
    some examples for you to ponder
    my mk13 SEAL clone sniper in 300 win mag long (mk248mod1) has a 5.5-22x nightforce, just like the original rifle.
    with a 20 moa base and some moa from burris rings i can run from 100 to past 2000 yards i got this at a live auction for 1600.
    with my next class up, a 338 edge i will do the same base and rings, but with a 7-35-56 atacr scope. 3600 msrp/3200 on sale
    you need to look for about 80 moa min in a scope
    you can buy a used nf 12-42 and put a big base under it but you will have to zero way out there.
    long distance ACCURACY aint cheap.

Basic Member
    Perfect tracking and plenty of elevation in a scope rugged enough for a 338 LM? Burris XTR2 will get you there, be reliable, good reticle and be under $1000.

Basic Member
    I assume the OP has not fired at 1000yd or beyond before. Hopefully he has fired a heavy recoiling rifle accurately (less than 1 MOA consistently). If not that will be kind of another step.

I was in kinda the same boat. I am a decent shot. Shot 1/2MOA on a fairly regular basis at closer ranges (100-400yd). The longer range bug bit me so I decided to buy a 12BVSS in .308 so I could shoot at our 1000yd range and do some light competition. Put a Vortex PST on it.

The rifle and scope are great. But, my skills need a LOT of improvement. Going from mid to long ranges is a HUGE step in shooting skill. After a year and I am still not good at longer ranges. I need to get a lot better with trigger and recoil management, and, WINDAGE!!!!

I guess my message is, you probably need to get a decent scope and shoot at the long ranges first before thinking about 1 mile shots. If you ever get bored at 1000yd, then think about a 1 mile setup.

The 308 is humbling after 400 yards. The reason the 6.5 Creedmoor is popular with many shooters from a variety of interests.

Banned
    lol
    i had my savage 10 in 308 at 600 last weekend, inside the 3" f class x ring.
    to me it aint that hard.
    maybe the fact that you think that past 400 is tuff, is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    The 308 is humbling after 400 yards. The reason the 6.5 Creedmoor is popular with many shooters from a variety of interests.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I assume the OP has not fired at 1000yd or beyond before. Hopefully he has fired a heavy recoiling rifle accurately (less than 1 MOA consistently). If not that will be kind of another step.

I was in kinda the same boat. I am a decent shot. Shot 1/2MOA on a fairly regular basis at closer ranges (100-400yd). The longer range bug bit me so I decided to buy a 12BVSS in .308 so I could shoot at our 1000yd range and do some light competition. Put a Vortex PST on it.

The rifle and scope are great. But, my skills need a LOT of improvement. Going from mid to long ranges is a HUGE step in shooting skill. After a year and I am still not good at longer ranges. I need to get a lot better with trigger and recoil management, and, WINDAGE!!!!

I guess my message is, you probably need to get a decent scope and shoot at the long ranges first before thinking about 1 mile shots. If you ever get bored at 1000yd, then think about a 1 mile setup.
    youre right, I’ve not shot at 1000 yds or more. I’ve gone out to ~600 yds with 300wm. I’m in no way expecting to jump straight to 1 mile shots, but will work my way up slowly while getting trigger time and playing with load development. Just trying to get a scope that’s capable of a mile when I’m ready so I hopefully don’t have to buy another one. I’m reality it’ll be years before I try a mile shot. Just trying to think ahead. I’m fully aware my skills aren’t anywhere near what they’d need to be for even 1000 yd shot, but I’m in no hurry to get there.

Basic Member
    As long as you are comfortable with the heavier rifles at that range then at least you know what you are getting into.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    It isn't the cartridge that is the problem, it is me. I just have never tried to shoot at those ranges before and it is a lot different than closer.

FWIW the guy next to me was shooting a .223 at 1000 and hitting a 12" plate 8 of 10 times.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Banned
    you jumped into the deep end of the pool and it is deep.
    i would set the rifle aside and learn to shoot at 600-1000 with a smaller rifle....308, 30/06 even 300 win mag.
    as it is you have the gun and no budget for a decent scope.
    buy a savage entry 300 wsm add a 6-24 x learn to load and shoot.
    do not burn up your bbl and wallet with the current rifle

Basic Member
    Look for a used deal on a 6-24 Sightron SIII. I’ve had/have,

-Leupold- not impressed with the price they are. But you can pick up MK 4 relatively cheap used if you want
    -Sightron- Own 2 6-24 and one 8-32 LR Tactical MOA 2- excellent scope and very clear- Made be LOW in Japan
    -Nightforce Competition- Also made by LOW. Excellent scope. Well past the budget
    -Athlon Cronus BTR- Also past the budget. Very nice. Also made by LOW (the Ares are their “high end” Chinese model)
    -Burris XTRII - SCR FFP- Solid Scope, nice reticle, you can buy used on SH for $750-$850 easy enough. The Sightron is clearer but the Burris is built like a tank

If it was me I’d look at the Burris or Sightron. Vortex if you step up a notch. The Gen 1 PST are crap. Owned 3 vortex at one point (2 pst) 2/3 failed. Own zero now

If you want good optics for great prices check out the Sniper Hide forum. Lots of great optics on there. Pay the $45 to access the classifieds and find the scope you want. Many sell with good rings (seekins/badger etc). If they don’t come with them pay the price and get good ones to start. Burris XTR at the cheapest. Leupold MK4/Badger/NF/Seekins etc. You can also find these used on SH to.

Ive run my 260 and 338 LM (since sold the 338) out past a mile with these scopes. You may end up using the reticle to account for some drop depending on the load you run and altitude your at.

If what you want to do is shoot past a mile then go for it. You’ll learn the rifle as you go along. You need to master proper breathing, trigger control and fundamentals for shooting that distance but there is no sense in settling on something you’ll need to upgrade later. You also need to get an anti cant level on the rifle. As well as mount the scope correctly. I use a plumb bob and test the tracking to be sure it’s perfectly in line with the bore.

A good Bipod/rear rest/weather meter/ballistic app/wind reading skills/spotter with a good spotting scope will be useful to.

Good of luck to you. There’s nothing like hitting steel past a mile

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    you jumped into the deep end of the pool and it is deep.
    i would set the rifle aside and learn to shoot at 600-1000 with a smaller rifle....308, 30/06 even 300 win mag.
    as it is you have the gun and no budget for a decent scope.
    buy a savage entry 300 wsm add a 6-24 x learn to load and shoot.
    do not burn up your bbl and wallet with the current rifle
    He has a 300 already and has had it to 600 so that is a good start. He could use the scope he purchases to start practicing longer then transfer to 338.

I hope the OP reloads. 338 is an expensive baby otherwise

I agree with you about the 308 vs 6.5 tho. Lots of people think the 6.5 is worlds apart from the 308. I’ll give the fact that it can do the same thing as a 308 with less recoil etc but the 308’s put many cartiges to shame at 1,000 yards in the hands of skilled shooters. Good FTR shooters often stomp fopen guys with much better cartridges. So yes 400 yards isn’t even beginning to push 308 limits

If you don’t reload tho move out with the 300 first. 338 LM is crazy expensive for what it is. Factory prices flirting with my 50. And the 338 is no 50. It’s a big gun capable of long range but not worth $4 + a round. FYI your 300 will do a mile as well of loaded correctly

Yes I definitely reload, or I would not have jumped into .338 lol. I know the 300 has the ability to go further, but it’s a hunting rifle My dad gave me, and weighs about 8 pounds. Better for carrying in the woods chasing elk, not that great to shoot. Was looking for something different, so I went different. I don’t know anyone that has a 338, sounded fun, so I bought one to play with.

Never said I didn’t have the budget for a $2500 scope, just trying not to spend that if it’s not necessary. Just trying to have fun with it without having a fortune invested. If it’s throwing money away to buy a $1000 scope then I’ll buy a better one. Precisely why I’m here asking others what they’ve used and how they liked it.

Banned
    yes...buy once spend 2500 or so look at top name scopes not middle or low level brands...at a distance they will not be the same as a top end scope.
    a 5.5-22x56 night force is under that used.

Quote Originally Posted by 112target View Post
    Yes I definitely reload, or I would not have jumped into .338 lol. I know the 300 has the ability to go further, but it’s a hunting rifle My dad gave me, and weighs about 8 pounds. Better for carrying in the woods chasing elk, not that great to shoot. Was looking for something different, so I went different. I don’t know anyone that has a 338, sounded fun, so I bought one to play with.

Never said I didn’t have the budget for a $2500 scope, just trying not to spend that if it’s not necessary. Just trying to have fun with it without having a fortune invested. If it’s throwing money away to buy a $1000 scope then I’ll buy a better one. Precisely why I’m here asking others what they’ve used and how they liked it.

Basic Member
    You can find NF NXS for around $1500-1700 used/like new if that’s the direction you wish to take. You won’t regret it. There are cheaper options as stated above. But none have the track record of the NXS. That is truly the toughest scope you could consider to be in the price range you are willing to spend. Obviously $1000-$1200 won’t get you most NXS but saving and spending the extra if you can afford it will be worth it in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    lol
    i had my savage 10 in 308 at 600 last weekend, inside the 3" f class x ring.
    to me it aint that hard.
    maybe the fact that you think that past 400 is tuff, is your problem.
    Nope not a problem at all. I dont even think 1000
    is hard. But I have scored 308s and I've scored 6 dashers and Shehanes. Never saw the 308 shoot the center out of a new target, but I have the 6's and the 7. Maybe your special, like world class though.

Banned
    lol...2015 national champ at 600
    so maybe
    Nope not a problem at all. I dont even think 1000
    is hard. But I have scored 308s and I've scored 6 dashers and Shehanes. Never saw the 308 shoot the center out of a new target, but I have the 6's and the 7. Maybe your special, like world class though.

Basic Member
    Just get this.... $719. They might even have an extra 5% off if you look around the site enough.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-...iflescope.html

Banned
    the funny part about that sale is the moa version is 280 bucks more.
    i think it is an unlit version at that price and the moa only comes lit.
    i am actually looking at one for a cheap build i am working on,
    but nay bite the bullet for a high powder nf and a tilting base.
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    Just get this.... $719. They might even have an extra 5% off if you look around the site enough.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-...iflescope.html

Banned
    Oh good grief! I love how the INTERWEB brings out the “Super Tacti-cool Experts of AWESOMENESS!” LOL! I am certainly not one them. I’ve never shot a long range competition or even at a dedicated 1000yd “range”. My distance shooting was across canyons and such in the Arizona desert. The old, “ok.., that rock!” But I have spent several decades collecting information & learning everything I can. Something I think everyone will agree on is it is never wrong to purchase the BEST optic you can afford. Which is best?? Well, that is a matter of preference. If you can, go top tier. Any of the known tier one choices are amazing! If I had my choice I would choose the Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56. But that will never happen. Far, far out of my price point! What I recommend is going with as many of the criteria points as you can within your price point. First & for most you want ED glass! Also, 24+ max magnification is needed for MOST of our mere mortal eyes. And having a 34mm tube & 56mm objective is nice. Within your indicated price point, there is a scope which meets all these criteria. The Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56. Can pick them up for under $1200, and I really don’t know of anything else that can match it for under $2K! Would love to have one of these, but even $1100 is pretty north of my budget. Maybe one day.

Basic Member
    So Dave, your contribution to this thread is letting the OP know you haven’t done the shooting he’s looking to do, then recommend scopes you’ve never used.....

I know myself, in the $1200 price range I’d be picking up a Japanese NXS or Sightron, made by a reputable company, with a lot of shooters to back their products before I’d pick up the new latest/greatest scope out of China. As I said I do own the Cronus BTR and when set next to a NF ATACR the glass to my eyes is the same. NF Beast was same as well. Only time will tell if the Cronus holds up.

OP one of the big things to look at as well is the internal adjustment in the scope. On your list I believe the Nikons have struggled in this department. Maybe the newer stuff is better but shop for lots of internal adjustment.

Stay away from the Nikon line..... You will be sorry if you buy one... The FX1000 line is a complete joke... My $300 Redfield Battlezone tracked better!!

I have a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and I wouldn't trade it for anything.... I just got my Dad the Athlon ARES BTR 4.5-27x50.... Nothing to report back yet on the BTR (Still waiting on RL26) still have to reload... it seems to have become the new "unobtainium" like H4350 was a little bit ago....

Banned
    Nevermind.

Only, calling someone out who never said a word to you is pretty tasteless. Never said I haven’t used any top tier scopes....just that I can’t afford them. And I didn’t tell him to use anything. YOU DID THAT! I merely made a a few FACTUAL STATEMENTS followed by an opinion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast