Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 112 target scope options?

Banned

go try those scopes at 1800 yards and tell me the image is the same...in the details.

Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    So Dave, your contribution to this thread is letting the OP know you haven’t done the shooting he’s looking to do, then recommend scopes you’ve never used.....

I know myself, in the $1200 price range I’d be picking up a Japanese NXS or Sightron, made by a reputable company, with a lot of shooters to back their products before I’d pick up the new latest/greatest scope out of China. As I said I do own the Cronus BTR and when set next to a NF ATACR the glass to my eyes is the same. NF Beast was same as well. Only time will tell if the Cronus holds up.

OP one of the big things to look at as well is the internal adjustment in the scope. On your list I believe the Nikons have struggled in this department. Maybe the newer stuff is better but shop for lots of internal adjustment.

Basic Member
    Got the Cronus in a trade. Otherwise I’d have bought an NXS. Cronus BTR is made by LOW which knows how to make and does make many of the best optics out there. I’ve never spent $2000 on a scope and that’s why I recommend Sightron. Cost way less and have proved their worth the price. As has NXS.

This internet special forces ninja has used the scopes he has suggested. Which was the advice the OP is looking for. Not the my friends, neighbors, dog walking buddy has X so get X. I suggested the Burris or Sightron because that is what is in the OP price range. The NXS is not but he’s willing to save for it. If we’re looking at S&B then consider Steiner M5 NF ATACR etc as well. That’s stepping into another category then was recommended.

You can be as butt hurt as you want over my comment but the fact is I have used the recommendations I’ve made. Still own them. And use them for what the OP would like to use them for.

If your calling guys like Mike and I internet ninjas etc because we have experience with these scopes/cartridges etc then your attempting to chase away the experience the OP is looking for.

Im sure the Ares is a great scope as well. I’m just suggesting options that have been out for a while and have more of a track record to go on. I jumped on the Vortex bandwagon when they first came out and was able to comment on their great customer service like most owners have used. Their Razor line and maybe PST Gen II maybe a different story. I jumped ship on them before they came out with those models.

You will be doing a lot of adjusting for that distance. So get a scope that can handle it. Get enough elevation internally in the scope to account for it. You may need to use the reticle for accounting for additional elevation as I had to do with my 260. But I wanted a 100 yard zero so I could sight it in in my backyard if needed.

Sincerely the tactical operating internet cool ninja that has shot a 338 Lapua over 1,000 yards with scopes the OP can afford now who also owns several 300’s, shoots 1,000 yard comps and owns/owned the scopes he recommends or doesn’t recommend.

Im not trying to stir the pot with you Dave but your calling out guys like me in the previous post you made. So I called you back out. Not the other way around. If you can’t afford the high end optics then I am sorry. They are nice but there are also nice optics that cost way less and do the same job. Owning optics and putting them through years of use is more valid then shooting a few rounds through a buddies gun. However if your referring to military experience when you’ve used the top tier optics then I say by all means recommend away, those get tested way more than anything I’ve suggested

Basic Member
    Im not saying there the same at distance. I’m not sugggesting the Cronus will hold up as good or be on par with NF. Time will tell. But the OP isn’t shopping in the ATACR/BEAST/CRONUS category either

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    go try those scopes at 1800 yards and tell me the image is the same...in the details.

Banned
    Here’s the difference.
    What you said “Look for a used deal on a 6-24 Sightron SIII. I’ve had/have”.

Now what did I say? Please quote where I said he SHOULD go with anything specific I don’t do that...YOU DO!

Uhh, yeah. Here’s how butt hurt I guess I am. Have fun. B-bye.

Basic Member
    What I’m referring to is you suggesting the Ares and stating nothing can touch it for under 2k. Are we talking touching the features or the performance. The scope does have nice features. But I wouldn’t say a used NF NXS or a used ATACR can’t touch it. Both of which I’ve seen for sale under 2k. In ELR reliable tracking is #1 with scope clarity 2nd in my opinion. With mirage and what not your lucky if you can take advantage of the clarity on the highest level. Btw my NF is a 15-55 comp. Does have the “ED” glass. Ya it’s nice. But if we’re punching steel my Sightron doesn’t lag behind by much for the price. I will add there is a noticeable difference in clarity from my Sightron to my Burris XTR II. Sightron being better. But again I’m looking to shoot a dime, not read it

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Oh good grief! I love how the INTERWEB brings out the “Super Tacti-cool Experts of AWESOMENESS!” LOL! I am certainly not one them. I’ve never shot a long range competition or even at a dedicated 1000yd “range”. My distance shooting was across canyons and such in the Arizona desert. The old, “ok.., that rock!” But I have spent several decades collecting information & learning everything I can. Something I think everyone will agree on is it is never wrong to purchase the BEST optic you can afford. Which is best?? Well, that is a matter of preference. If you can, go top tier. Any of the known tier one choices are amazing! If I had my choice I would choose the Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56. But that will never happen. Far, far out of my price point! What I recommend is going with as many of the criteria points as you can within your price point. First & for most you want ED glass! Also, 24+ max magnification is needed for MOST of our mere mortal eyes. And having a 34mm tube & 56mm objective is nice. Within your indicated price point, there is a scope which meets all these criteria. The Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56. Can pick them up for under $1200, and I really don’t know of anything else that can match it for under $2K! Would love to have one of these, but even $1100 is pretty north of my budget. Maybe one day.

Banned
    Being that I JUST prior to saying that went over nice features for an ultra long distance scope...I wonder what I talking about there??? Unbelievable!

Basic Member
    Alright, sorry my bad bud.

Pretty much everything I am referring to is in terms of reliability. As far as features go I’d add the following

Athlon- most features- 34mm tube/FFP/Illuminated/nice zero stop/mine is MOA/MOA
    Burris- same features as above- lacks glass clarity compared to the others. Nice turrets with great zero stop/FFP
    NF - 30mm tube- non illuminated- excellent glass- has 0 stop but I don’t use it- SFP
    Sightron- one is Illuminated- other than that 30mm tube- no zero stop etc- owned for the longest and been 100% reliable. Clarity is to my eyes on par with the NXS, slightly behind the Cronus and NF comp, definitely better than the Burris. Also Second Focal Plane

any of the above have great reticles to compliment great turrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Being that I JUST prior to saying that went over nice features for an ultra long distance scope...I wonder what I talking about there??? Unbelievable!

Banned
    well just as a reference point
    i so shoot in competition from 100 2000 yards...group and score( no more steel)
    scopes two 15-55x nf comps for 600/1000 br
    one 12-42x nf br for 100/200 br
    one 5.5-22x 56 nf on a mk13 sniper clone was 875-2023 steel, now 2000 group and score
    one 7-35x atacr 2000 yd group and score
    four ?? 36x luepold br scopes mainly 100/200 br
    contemplating a 10-50 sightron for a "inexpensive" build for 2000 yd group and score..maybe be a used 12-42x nf,
    real bullets down range

In Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People they do an exercise where you are broken up into groups and the group is given a topic to discuss. The caveat is that if you can't cite your actual experience then you are not allowed input. It was designed to show you that if you are not qualified to make an opinion you should listen a little closer, a speak a little less. In the age of the internet people watch videos and are experts.

I have looked through Steiners, Kahles, NF ATACR's and NXS's. I've looked through Sightron SIII's and Cronus BTR's, Vortex Viper PSTs and others and Gen II Razors. The sightron was great until I put it next to a NXS, The SIII went and hid under a rock. The BTR and the Gen II Razor were very nice at the ranges used...real nice! I thought the Kahles and the ATACR was the better glass but the conditions were different and I really would have to spend some real time behind them to be sure. Then there is the internal/mechanical properties of the scope. Clear glass is only a part of the equation.....so I'm going to not make a recommendation except to find a way to use several higher end scopes and highly tested and proven brands before you buy. How someone can recommend a scope without running it through the numbers, I will never understand.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    so try eurooptics
    they have a used 12-42x for 1250,
    add some rings for tilt plus a tilted base
    i bought a new one for my "inexpensive" 2000 yd build but i also have
    a 150 moa adjustable base. so i can zero in the middleat 100, adjust for 2000 and then dial in the last bit.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    In Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People they do an exercise where you are broken up into groups and the group is given a topic to discuss. The caveat is that if you can't cite your actual experience then you are not allowed input. It was designed to show you that if you are not qualified to make an opinion you should listen a little closer, a speak a little less. In the age of the internet people watch videos and are experts.

I have looked through Steiners, Kahles, NF ATACR's and NXS's. I've looked through Sightron SIII's and Cronus BTR's, Vortex Viper PSTs and others and Gen II Razors. The sightron was great until I put it next to a NXS, The SIII went and hid under a rock. The BTR and the Gen II Razor were very nice at the ranges used...real nice! I thought the Kahles and the ATACR was the better glass but the conditions were different and I really would have to spend some real time behind them to be sure. Then there is the internal/mechanical properties of the scope. Clear glass is only a part of the equation.....so I'm going to not make a recommendation except to find a way to use several higher end scopes and highly tested and proven brands before you buy. How someone can recommend a scope without running it through the numbers, I will never understand.
    I 100% agree with this. Not sure who all it is directed at but if at me for stating the Cronus BTR is on par with the NF then I completely agree. I have very little time comparing them but was impressed by both. I do think both are better than the Sightron. But at a higher penny. And the Burris lags behind in terms of clarity and detail. The Burris in made in Philippines if anyone is curious.

I hate when a thread like this pops up and someone comments with nothing more than the BS jargon you’ll see in the add of promoted paper. Or end their suggestions with “looked through my buddies and can’t wait til mine arrives”. Real world experience is putting hundreds or thousands of rounds through what your suggesting, adjusting scopes lots and seeing repeat to zero/box tests etc.

I got suckered in by all the vortex crap when they first came out with all the bells and whistles. Again no real world experience was on them but that was because they were new. Now years later they fixed a lot of stuff, came out with new higher end models and seem to perform well. But the people who put lots of rounds through rifles with the 1st gen scopes had pretty much the same experience I had. Which is why I don’t recommend going with a new bells and whistles Chinese made scope, especially at $1200. Give it some time to prove itself. If they were made by Light Optical Works I’d say go for it, because I’ve used many of scopes made there and all have performed flawlessly. I wish people would shop more for reliability and focus less on the “need” for a 34mm tube, or 56 bell, or turrets that can dial to 1500 yards without ever seeing a complete revolution.

First start with the basics, finding a reliable scope that is proven to stand up to what your doing. Especially when it exceeds the 1k mark. Then see which is clearer. Then start looking at bells and whistles.

To the OP- you have indicated you have the money, so don’t buy China crap. If nothing else I suggest that. Look past scopes made in the Philippines as well. Go to scopes made by LOW or made in USA. You have the money to buy better, so do that. Any brand Mike listed in his list would be good brands to start with. Then do as he suggested, a base designed for what you want or a scope with enough elevation to accomplish this. I finished my corrections with the reticles as stated earlier. But I was just shooting steel. It would be more accurate in the long run to follow the info mike posted above.

Basic Member
    Shooting buddy has the M112 in 338LM. The factory brake is quite effective, and I think you'll find that it's a puddy cat to shoot and will easily go the distance. We loaded it with 285 ELD-M and H1000 to shoot to a mile, but he also purchased Team Never Quit ammo in 300 SMK that also shot well.

The Sightron III 10-50x60 is a great scope and can be found used for a good price. Also the 8-36x56 is often available used, or new. Both have very good glass and are more than adequate for the job. FWIW, my buddy had a 12X Night Force on his and we had no trouble making first round hits at 1000 with it, standard steel target for that distance.

Other than the cost to feed and care for, I think you'll find it very pleasing to shoot. Something about the sound of that 300 grain bullet slamming into steel at 1000 yds......gets everyones attention.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Banned
    “Alright, sorry my bad”

Agreed. My apologies as well. For what it’s worth, my initial post comment was not targeting anyone here, rather it was a “tongue in cheek” recognition of the “tone” these threads take on. 4 people can say 4 different things, and yet none are necessarily wrong! All too often people forget personal interpretation & preference.

Basic Member
    Hopefully you don’t get my luck and get a bad Barrel. My factory barrel would throw the first round or 2 about 1 MOA low. When cold. Few rounds and would shoot good. Replaced scope/base/rings with no luck. We finally decided to pull the barrel and threaded a Shilen Select Match on. That barrel shot excellent with no flyers. Gave the barrel to my gunsmith who tried his luck with it and had same issues. Eventually cut it down for a 338 federal or something of the sort for a guy. Shorter barrel. Rechambered and recrown etc. Not sure what ever became of it. May be holding his tomatoes up now lol

I'm glad that you guys apologized to one another. I deal with confrontation all day. I don't like reading it on here as well. This site is one of my escapes from reality!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    the funny part about that sale is the moa version is 280 bucks more.
    i think it is an unlit version at that price and the moa only comes lit.
    i am actually looking at one for a cheap build i am working on,
    but nay bite the bullet for a high powder nf and a tilting base.
    As far as I can tell there is no MOA version of that color that is on sale. I got one of them last fall and it did have a lighted reticle.

First, thanks to everyone for all the advice and recommendations, you’ve been a great help and pointed me in the right direction.

Picked up the gun today! Been reading scope reviews til I’m blue in the face, and to be honest I’m tired of looking. I think I narrowed it down to a couple choices, going with an entry level scope for now. I’m aware they aren’t “top of the line”, but I think they’ll work. By the time I need a better scope, I’ll have a better idea of what areas the scope is lacking and needs improvement.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/64...-reticle-matte

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...-reticle-matte

What say you, gents?

Being a MOA guy, I'd get the Vortex. Do you prefer MOA or MIL?

I’ve used moa so far, but I’m sure I could get used to the mil, just be learning time.

Basic Member
    Just purchased a 110 BA, also .338 LM

About ready to pull the trigger on this:

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/r...iation=1796205

Still need to decide on mount (for ELR) and rings...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Just purchased a 110 BA, also .338 LM

About ready to pull the trigger on this:

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/r...iation=1796205

Still need to decide on mount (for ELR) and rings...
    This was my original recommendation based on the features...ED glass, 56mm obj. & 34mm main tube. And I think a healthy 30mil of adjustment. See what Rex had to say on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzUjXbGP-48&t=1574s
    I am extremely fond of my Athlon...and I only have the Midas BTR, not even close to the Ares ETR.

As for mount & rings...just make certain to use rings in either Alloy steel or 7075-T6 billet. Pick which ever you like the looks of. The top rings are all fantastic! Same goes for the scope base. Or you can get REAL froggy and check out the Murphy Precision Titanium. Expensive....but it’s Titanium! Which just has a “cool factor” all its own. https://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Item/1006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12