Picked up a 12fv 6.5cm for fun awhile back and I've been itching to build a compact lightweight rifle for hunting, and I'm considering using the 12fv or picking up another rifle. Looking for something with 12.5" LOP, 18" barrel, around 7lbs or so w/ lightweight scope. I figured the cheapest I could do is chop the 12fv varmint barrel down to 18" and cut buttpad down, which I figure could give a compact rifle weighing 8.5lbs or so. I'm not sure if 8.5lbs will still be too heavy though? Another option is to put on a sporter barrel chopped to 18", use the 12fv stock or find a sporter synthetic stock or wood stock that I can lighten up. Would a boyd's walnut stock be a good option for lightening if I can't find anything used? I figured I could get close to 7lbs with this setup.

Or would it be easier, but maybe less economical, to pickup another lightweight rifle. I'm thinking something like a tikka lite compact (though I don't care for its look), or the 110 lightweight storm, or trophy hunter youth/compact (7mm-08, but ~8lbs or so).

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.