Thread: Sometimes I kinda want a 223 bolt gun

Basic Member

Sometimes I kinda want a 223 bolt gun

I have 3 AR's, each one built differently for different things. I have plenty of ammo as well as dies, brass, and bullets.
    Every now and then I kinda think I want a bolt gun in 223 also. However I know the differences and dangers about shooting 5.56 nato in a 223 gun. So I thought about building one (most likely savage) with a new barrel and have it chambered in 5.56. I want to be able to use any 223 or 5.56 ammo out there, even M855 if I wanted to. I know it might not be as accurate at a 223 chamber with 223 ammo, but I'm not wanting to shoot 1000 yard matches with this gun. I do not want a short barrel, I want a minimum of 20 inches, but no longer than 26, also want it heavy profile and threaded, prefer no slower than 1-8 twist (so I can handload heavy bullets). Then I thought, you know what would also be kinda cool, is if there was a way to have a bolt gun that used standard AR15 mags. I already have plenty of AR mags including 10 round mags I use for shooting from the bench. Being able to use what I have would be great.
    Seems like every time I build a gun, I always run into some problem. Also the cost always seems to go above what I am wanting or expecting to spend.
    I start looking around online for options and all I am finding is stuff for aics mags or proprietary mags. Then I somehow run across the moosberg MVP, specifically the MVP LR thunder ranch. Somehow I have completely missed this gun, as I had never seen or heard of it before. The cool thing, is it seems like it fits pretty much every criteria I laid out above. Bolt action, heavy 20 inch threaded barrel, 5.56 chamber, 1-7 twist, and takes AR mags.
    I now have a sudden strong interest in this rifle. So does anyone here have any experience with this rifle or know of any other bolt action rifles on the market that are of the same style. This seems like it might be my most logical choice. I like that it is a "turn key" in the configuration that I am wanting, that way I do not have to fool with building one and the headaches that come with it. And the prices are pretty reasonable. I even saw a used one online for $450.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-lr-28040/

Try mossbergshooters.com. I'm just yankin your chain, couldn't resist!

Basic Member
    What kind if OAL can you get from that magazine? If you have a 1:7 you might as well make some 77+ grain pills. Other than that I suspect it would be a fine rifle.

Basic Member
    I think RUGER came out with one that takes ar mags as well. I have three 223 bolt guns, my favorite being a single shot.

Basic Member
    Wouldn't seating a long projectile, 77+, at AR15 mag length take up too much space inside th case? I tried this for an AR15 a while back, had to use a spherical powder to get enough in the case to get an acceptable velocity.

Basic Member
    Regardless of the velocity loss you will get stuffing that long bullet down to a 2.26" oal, and the 20" barrel, you will also be jumping them like crazy. Would I buy this gun as the ultimate long range precision tool...no. But would it be fun to shoot...YES! I love all my bolt action .223 rifles...

Basic Member
    Taking AR mags is not a 100% must, just thought it would be cool. But being a detachable box mag is a must.
    77 gr is most likely the heaviest I will ever shoot, and there are several factory 77gr 5.56 loadings on the market. I actually have a couple boxes of some magtech in my safe right now.

The one I linked in my first post appears to be the current offering. While I like the rifle, I do not care for the cammo stock. With a little searching online, I found what I think might be a older version of it, still in stock new at a couple different places. Model 27696
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...223+Black+10RD
    Now that one I like. while I prefer a black stock, the green is not too bad. The price seems pretty nice at well. I found a used one on gunbroker but it's only $50 less than a new one.

So are there any other rifles on the market of similar specs and price range? I'm not really seeing much. While I love my savages, I know I definitely can not build one for that price.

I don't know if you Gunbroker, but there's a used one there starting bid at $190, $10 s/h and no cc fees.

Also, my plan is buy a 110 Scout in .223. Remove the barrel, rail, peep sight and sell it. Then I want to put a 20" Shilen Select Match in a heavy sporter contour on it. I have to finish some other projects first.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    I don't know if you Gunbroker, but there's a used one there starting bid at $190, $10 s/h and no cc fees.
    I have bought several guns from gunbroker. Looks like it was just posted for sale, I didn't see it yesterday. Starting bid was a penny, has 6 bids and is up to 190 now. Still has 10 days left. I figure it will go for near new price. Still, I will keep my eye on it. I do not bid till near the end, as there is no point. I am not fixing to run out tomorrow and buy one, so I can patiently wait and watch online for the right deal.

Basic Member
    Just discovered another gun fitting the criteria. Ruger american predator. https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26944.html
    It is 1-8 twist and 223 chamber. I read a review on a forum where a guy was having problems with high pressure because of a very short throat. Even with lighter bullets loaded to AR mag length. I'm not sure I care anything for the stock, very plain and cheap looking, and saw reports of them being warped and touching the barrel out of the box. They do have a "ranch" version of the rifle with a 5.56 chamber, but it is only a 16 inch barrel, so I am not interested in it.
    So right now I am still leaning towards the the MVP LR.

Basic Member
    Holy cow what the hell just happened to this mossberg? I had it bookmarked at buds gunshop where it was $499, and at grab a gun where it was $505. For some reason I decided to check the links again today and buds has jumped to $738 and grab a gun to $666! WTH?
    Was there some type of sale going on that I just missed? If prices stay like this I may have to give up on this dream. I do not want to spend much over $550. Gonna keep a eye on gunbroker.

I had one a mossberg MVP. Purchased when they first came out. 20" sporter barrel. It shot good usually just under 1". It was great prairie dog hunting because of all the ammo. Overall, the rifle was very similar to a savage with the trigger and bolt throw. A big plus is the action is a true mini sized action for the short 223. It is smaller than 308 based actions. Trigger was ok and the action really slicked up nicely after about 300 rounds. I think if you got the heavy barrel it would probably shoot a bit more consistent than my sporter did. I was going to rebarrel it but could not ever get a straight definite answer from any barrel maker on the thread. I believe rock creek barrels is the only one listing a prefit for it. I did sell the gun only because I did not want to put the $$$ into the barrel for it. Ended up with a Tikka 22-250 varmint. After experiencing the tikka's smooth action I am now replacing savages with tikkas.

Basic Member
    Well I have decided to just build another savage.
    I was able to hold a MVP at a local shop. It was a 308, but I was mainly just wanting to put my hands on one. While it was not a bad and cheap gun, the build quality was just not what I was expecting and not what I was used to with my savages. I'm sure it would still be a excellent rifle and I love my mossberg shotgun, but I think savage is my preferred bolt action rifle.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...gs-interchange

Basic Member
    Be very careful, I spent a ton of money building an AR including loading various ammo shot it every week. Walmart had a great price on an Axis with Accure trigger and a heavy barrel. I got so hooked on ringing steel at 600 yards that I bedded a Boyd stock and CBI barrel installed a decent scope haven't taken the AR out since.

Get the barrel chambered in 223 Wylde,that way you can shoot 223 and 5.56.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Get the barrel chambered in 223 Wylde,that way you can shoot 223 and 5.56.
    Already started on the build. You can see the current progress here: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...013#post456013

Basic Member
    I am working on a 112 in .223 right now. Nice for long range sessions.