Thread: Sometimes I kinda want a 223 bolt gun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Sometimes I kinda want a 223 bolt gun

I have 3 AR's, each one built differently for different things. I have plenty of ammo as well as dies, brass, and bullets.
    Every now and then I kinda think I want a bolt gun in 223 also. However I know the differences and dangers about shooting 5.56 nato in a 223 gun. So I thought about building one (most likely savage) with a new barrel and have it chambered in 5.56. I want to be able to use any 223 or 5.56 ammo out there, even M855 if I wanted to. I know it might not be as accurate at a 223 chamber with 223 ammo, but I'm not wanting to shoot 1000 yard matches with this gun. I do not want a short barrel, I want a minimum of 20 inches, but no longer than 26, also want it heavy profile and threaded, prefer no slower than 1-8 twist (so I can handload heavy bullets). Then I thought, you know what would also be kinda cool, is if there was a way to have a bolt gun that used standard AR15 mags. I already have plenty of AR mags including 10 round mags I use for shooting from the bench. Being able to use what I have would be great.
    Seems like every time I build a gun, I always run into some problem. Also the cost always seems to go above what I am wanting or expecting to spend.
    I start looking around online for options and all I am finding is stuff for aics mags or proprietary mags. Then I somehow run across the moosberg MVP, specifically the MVP LR thunder ranch. Somehow I have completely missed this gun, as I had never seen or heard of it before. The cool thing, is it seems like it fits pretty much every criteria I laid out above. Bolt action, heavy 20 inch threaded barrel, 5.56 chamber, 1-7 twist, and takes AR mags.
    I now have a sudden strong interest in this rifle. So does anyone here have any experience with this rifle or know of any other bolt action rifles on the market that are of the same style. This seems like it might be my most logical choice. I like that it is a "turn key" in the configuration that I am wanting, that way I do not have to fool with building one and the headaches that come with it. And the prices are pretty reasonable. I even saw a used one online for $450.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-lr-28040/

Try mossbergshooters.com. I'm just yankin your chain, couldn't resist!

Basic Member
    What kind if OAL can you get from that magazine? If you have a 1:7 you might as well make some 77+ grain pills. Other than that I suspect it would be a fine rifle.

Basic Member
    I think RUGER came out with one that takes ar mags as well. I have three 223 bolt guns, my favorite being a single shot.

Basic Member
    Wouldn't seating a long projectile, 77+, at AR15 mag length take up too much space inside th case? I tried this for an AR15 a while back, had to use a spherical powder to get enough in the case to get an acceptable velocity.

Basic Member
    Regardless of the velocity loss you will get stuffing that long bullet down to a 2.26" oal, and the 20" barrel, you will also be jumping them like crazy. Would I buy this gun as the ultimate long range precision tool...no. But would it be fun to shoot...YES! I love all my bolt action .223 rifles...