Thread: Help w/ Centerfeed Barreled Action/Mag into Stagger Feed Stock

Basic Member

Help w/ Centerfeed Barreled Action/Mag into Stagger Feed Stock

I bought a Savage 111 rifle that is a centerfeed in a synthetic stock. I want to put this barreled action along with its magazine into a wood stock which had been made to accommodate a staggered feed set up. I’d like to take the information I gather in this post and create a roadmap for a buddy of mine who will be doing the actual work. My hands don’t work the way they used to so it’s my job to collect intel:) The stocks are pictured below and I do plan to clean out the old bedding material and re-bed the barreled action.
    I’ve researched the subject on this site and it sounds as if we need to transplant the magazine into the wooden mag well and position it so the rifle feeds cartridges properly. I’ve read that some people whittle wedges to hold the mag in place while others have used tightly folded pieces of paper to accomplish the same thing. Some questions that immediately come to mind are…

How do we remove the magazine from the synthetic stock?
    Does that shiny clip have any role to play in the wooden stock?
    Is the center feed magazine likely to be any longer or deeper than the wooden mag well?

I’d sure like to hear from some folks who have done this (maybe more than once), and learn what sorts of problems might come up or about some tips that will make the job easier. As always, I truly appreciate the collective wisdom of the members here and thank you in advance for any and all information you are able to pass along.

Team Savage
    A Savage LA, CF action and magazine box can be fitted to a Savage LA, SF blind magazine stock. The magazine well in a SF stock is usually larger than the magazine well in a CF stock. I would not use the L-clip to try and hold the CF magazine in the SF stock. I would first remove the old bedding. Then correctly position and tape the magazine box to the center feed action with a business card spacer between the magazine feed lips and bolt body. Put four small balls of plumbers epoxy putty in the corners of the magazine well. Place CF barreled action with taped on magazine box coated with release agent into stock and press magazine corners into putty. Wait about 15 minutes. Remove action and magazine box from stock. Clean up excess putty with knife before it completely hardens. This gives you a firm tight base for the blind magazine so that it is not pushed around the oversized SF magazine well by the follower and spring. A small wood screw placed in the groove on each side of magazine box will also help keep magazine in place. Now you should be able to epoxy bed the action and recoil lug floating the barrel and tang in stock. Recheck magazine feed lip position before spreading epoxy for bedding.