Thread: Anti-Seize on barrel threads?

Basic Member

Anti-Seize on barrel threads?

I'm preparing to do my first barrel swap. Should I apply some type of Anti-Seize compound to the barrel threads before final assembly or is this unnecessary?

Basic Member
    You’ll get varied recommendations. Receiver and barrel threads are typically not extremely tight tolerance and in a perfect world should not need lube. Be that as it may, I personally use a little gun grease on mine. All it takes is one little sliver of metal off a thread to make life miserable. Found that out on a factory Remington once. Don’t see why a little anti seize wouldn’t work well too.

Basic Member
    In the past, I've also used a bit of grease . (Mobil-1 synthetic - My favorite general purpose grease.)

Basic Member
    I have read various threads about certain types of anti-seize reacting with this type metal or that, so I never have used it on rifle barrels. For the Savage barrels I have done, I decided to just use the same standard mil-spec grease I have used for AR-15 barrel installations, which is Aeroshell 33MS. I bought a few little containers of it years ago and a little goes a long way. I think about any ol' gun grease will work, and that is what I would use if I did not already have the Aeroshell grease.

Either way. Lube does effect torque values if that is a consideration.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Copper anti-seize.

Basic Member
    Never use copper base anti-seize on stainless steel. http://www.depacproducts.net/anti.html

Best is nickel based, second best is aluminum. If you use a grease, stay away from the teflon based stuff, as your barrel may loosen up in use.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Banned
    i just took apart a 111(steel) at the factory bbl/recvr has a copper based antisieze.
    this is a 2018 rifle

Basic Member
    Per the above link, Aluminum based is not recommended for carbon steel barrels, so copper, nickel or non-metallic anti-seize is best. But because you can find yourself mounting a stainless barrel into a carbon steel receiver, or vise versa, it might be best to keep nickel based or non-metallic in stock if you're a DIY kind of guy.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.