Thread: Model 12? Custom build. What do I have?

Model 12? Custom build. What do I have?

Savage pro target custom build, but not by me. Recently acquired this rifle and although I love it I'm not sure what it is. From what I can determine it is a bvss stock, but unless im mistaken it should include the acutrigger with the bvss? So I dont believe the action/bolt/trigger assembly's are from the bvss. Here's the kicker - its chambered in .221 fireball which I dont believe savage ever did? I am just wanting info on what I actually have and also what would be required for a caliber change? Would like to go larger but would like to be able to go back to the fireball, is this possible? Took it out and although we only had 100y to shoot me and a friend were both able to get consistant groups you could hide with a quarter! Thanks in advance and as you can tell I am new to the savage bolt actions!

Edit-i may have to be directed on how to post pics, if this works I'll post more.

[IMG]20190419_124145.jpg[/IMG]

As long as your savage still uses the barrel nut, you can swap barrels/calibers whenever you want as long as you have the tools. Headspace gauges (Specific to each caliber) barrel vise, and the nut wrench are the tools needed.

As far as identifying what you have will probably be difficult as the action is probably the only thing that is OEM. The trigger was probably replaced, the barrel, and the stock were all probably purchased aftermarket. You can find out what it was originally if you call savage and provide them the serial number off the action.

Cant see the pics but the model 12s and 112s started production before the accutrigger and continued after the accutrigger so that's not nearly as helpful as pics. A BVSS is a stainless action,has an oversized bolt knob, a stainless fluted barrel, and a laminate stock with the large palm swell grip and ebony fore end.
    Here's a pic of my bone stock 12BVSS if it helps any. Mines in 22-250 and will print 8 shot groups ( 2 magazines) you can cover with a dime at 120 yards consistently. Not bad from an out of the box rifle.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I to just picked up a model 12 but mines a .223. In a choate ultimate varmint stock that says col plaster blah blah built for savage. It’s a stainless fluted heavy barrel. Congrats on yours and goodluck