Thread: Savage 99 RS?

Basic Member

Savage 99 RS?

Good morning and happy Easter. I have a Savage Model 99 that I have been studying for awhile with help from the info on this site. I believe I have an idea of the model and manufacture date, but I am not 100% yet, and would like some help. It has a 22" barrel with the ramp front sight (bead), a Redfield base and Redfield Bear Cub 4x Duplex, and a Marble tang peep sight and no rear sight came with it, but it is dovetailed and D&T for one. The forearm has what I would describe as a "M" checkering pattern, which wraps all the way around (looks like a capital M when the gun is standing in the corner) and a post for a sling. It also has 2 thin lines which wrap around the forearm in front of the checkering and post. Behind the receiver, the wood has raised panels in sharp V, pistol grip with checkering and a straight stock and straight metal buttplate and a cap on the pistol grip. The lever is case colored and it has a brass counter for the rotary magazine with a cocking indicator behind the action. After deciding to not concern myself with the sights and only focus on the rifle, I think it is a early "R" model. The serial# 356082 (that's it, no letters) could put it at 1936, but above the hinge of the lever there is what looks to be either a "Q" or a small "a" stamped.
    On the left side of the barrel it reads .250-3000 SAVAGE with a sideways oval and inside SP, the curve of the "P" is not noticeable. On the right side of the barrel it is stamped HIGH PRESSURE STEEL - PROOF TESTED, and on top of the barrel, SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION, UTICA,N.Y. - MADE IN U.S.A.

I would like to know if my assumption of it being a early "R" model and the date of manufacture of 1936 is correct? Any information is appreciated and I know I could be absolutely wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. Thanks for the help.

Basic Member
    It was made in 1936. The RS came with either the Lyman or Redfield receiver sight. I would say yours is an R, made from 1932-1960.

Can you post some picture??

Basic Member
    I havent figured out the URL yet when trying to post pictures. Once i get that figured out i will show some pictures. I believe that the "RS" model came with sling studs, and the "R" did not, so I think this one is a "RS". I found a description of what the studs should look like, but havent pulled them yet.

Basic Member
    Correct, the RS did come with studs. They were a quick release design for 7/8" adjustable sling.

Al thats not an RS, not sure what it is, looks like a special order.

Wmotcw: Sounds like an R and your right to ignore the sights, all wrong.

The sling studs are the giveaway. are they sling eyes for sling hooks or are they sling studs, are the studs flat bottomed?
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    They are studs, quick detach I think, like the ones on my hunting rifle. The forearms stud holds the forearm in place and when removed the forearm comes off and is stamped with the serial number on the action and has a round carving to fit into the action. The buttstock stud is conical in shape with a flat tip. Like a triangle with the top missing. Picture the dollar bill pyriamid without the eye.

Those studs sound like they've been added which will make the model just an R not an RS.

Basic Member
    I am still stuck with the photo thing, sorry

Basic Member
    I have been posted pictures on the firearms forum, it seems to be the only one that will let me post.

Basic Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    okay, ive got it figured out!

Basic Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Basic Member
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Basic Member
    I hope these help. I have alot more if you need, Thanks

Basic Member
    If the studs are from the factory, would that make this a "RS", instead of a "R"?

Yes they would make it an RS but unfortunately those aren't factory RS studs, they've been added afterwards which makes it an R.

Basic Member
    Okay, thanks. I appreciate your help on this.

Basic Member
    Any chance someone could post a picture of what a "RS" model studs look like and how they attach? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by wmotcw View Post
    Any chance someone could post a picture of what a "RS" model studs look like and how they attach? Thank you.
    I believe mine's an RS, s/n dates it to 1941, these are the studs.....

Yep, those are RS studs.