Thread: 110 bolt uncocked

110 bolt uncocked

I have a savage 110. With bolt out of the gun. Whats the best/easy way to cock the bolt?

You can carefully put the cocking pin against a counter top edge and push downward to push it up the cocking ramp or you can loosen the BAS until the screw is backed out most of the way and push it up with your thumb then retighten the BAS.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You can carefully put the cocking pin against a counter top edge and push downward to push it up the cocking ramp or you can loosen the BAS until the screw is backed out most of the way and push it up with your thumb then retighten the BAS.

Thanks for your post Robinhood.

It got me thinking. I clamped a 1/4" piece of wood on the edge of my shop table. I compressed the spring by pushing down on the bolt then turned the bolt handle against the 1/4" piece of wood cocking the bolt in the first try. Quicker done then explained.

Basic Member
    I have two 110 bolt guns. If you've overcome the notorious nut at the rear of the bolt, recocking should be a breeze. As Robinhood said, you can use a solid edge to pry against, or depending on your hands strength, you can use your thumb and just push it over into place. I do this with both .223 and .270 bolts. Once you get it started it moves over without too much trouble.

Use a small crescent wrench and a couple of patches. Open the wrench and place on the bolt barrel opposite of the cocking piece with the two patches in the jaws. Then just turn the wrench while holding the bolt. The cocking piece will just go around and lock in the cocked position. Easier than using hard objects.

Banned
    NM

I happen to have read the posts. When I was learning gunsmithing my mentor showed me the wrench trick. It works great both in cocking and decocking. I carry a small crescent in my shooting bag when I shoot F-Class in case I have a decocking issue with an open bolt. Other than rocks and concrete benches not much on the line I’d drag my cocking piece across.

Basic Member
    Just one caveat. If you value the companionship of your cohabitant(s), don't do this against a corner of your dining room table. it will cause friction.

Basic Member
    I read the others too... I am not Hercules by any means and I can cock a short action or long action bolt with one hand.

Basic Member
    Great info here guys. Just following gonna be building a 25-06 so doing a lot of reading right now